WINDY CITY TIMES
||Latino Queer Prom Is a Hit
by MARIE-JO PROULX
This article shared 3546 times since Wed Jun 1, 2005
On May 27, the Mexican Fine Arts Center Museum ( MFACM ) in Pilsen hosted the first 'Noche de Arco Iris: Queer Prom 2005.' The event was presented by Homofrecuencía, Chicago's Spanish-language radio program for LGBTQ youth, which airs on Radio Arte. Approximately 100 people accepted the invitation to dress up, mingle, and most of all dance.
In a brief address, Carlos Tortolero, MFACM president, said, 'We are honored to have you here tonight. You are always welcome here.' Jorge Valdivia, general manager and founding producer of Homofrecuencía, acted as master of ceremonies along with colleague Tania Unzueta. They introduced a series of student performers who took turns entertaining the crowd with drag skits and dance numbers.
A contest for King and Queen of the Prom saw a handful of young men and women entering either category. The winners were acclaimed by repeated popular applause and cheer. Performer Giovanca was named queen and a boy called Rafa took the king's crown. They were asked to share the evening's first dance but were soon joined by dozens of others. When almost everyone had invaded the stage and dance floor, a pair of women police officers peeked in. They stayed around for a little while, smiling and tapping their feet to the music, apparently delighted at the sight of a room full of LGBTQ teenagers having a good time.
For LGBTQ students wanting to bring a same-sex date to their school's dance, Lambda Legal has produced a document entitled 'Eight questions and answers about your rights at prom.' It covers issues of gender-specific dress codes, harassment, parental permission, safety, and others. While the advice it provides is based both on statutes and legal precedents, it remains clear and offers simple ways to negotiate with school officials, chaperons, and fellow students.
To view the Lambda Legal document, go to www.lambdalegal.org/cgi-bin/iowa/news/fact.html?record=1700
This article shared 3546 times since Wed Jun 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ukraine president promises to fight for LGBTQ rights 2021-09-02|
- On Sept. 1, the president of Ukraine said his country will continue to fight anti-LGBTQ discrimination, The Washington Blade reported. "With U.S. support, Ukraine will continue to advance respect for human rights, civil liberties and fundamental ...
|LGBTQ women's music event 'Still Rising' on Aug. 21 2021-08-12|
- Still Risingfor LGBTQ women DJs, producers, promoters and their allieswill take place Saturday, Aug. 21, at Epiphany Center for the Arts, 201 S. Ashland Ave. There will be a mixer, workshops and, of course, music at ...
|HRC launches probe of president after Cuomo report is released 2021-08-10|
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and its foundation have hired a prominent law firm to investigate the organization's president, Alphonso David, in helping New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo respond to accusations of sexual harassment, according to ...
|Billy Masters 2021-08-09|
- "Did you see my Apple interview (with Zane Lowe)? I think I look damn good. I could still play Mama Rose."—Barbra Streisand in an interview to promote her new CD, Release Me 2. It sounds like ...
| Gov. Pritzker issues executive order creating new office of equity 2021-07-30|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD Building on the administration's ongoing work to advance equity and inclusion, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed an executive order establishing the Office of Equity to promote diversity, equity ...
|Prominent lesbian educator/activist/author Sally Gearhart dies at 90 2021-07-15|
- Sally Gearhartthe first out lesbian to receive a tenure-track position at San Francisco State University and a prominent LGBTQ-rights advocatedied July 14, according to The Bay Area Reporter, which cited an email Jean Crosby sent to ...
|More than 100,000 attend Tel Aviv Pride 2021-06-25|
- More than 100,000 people gathered along Tel Aviv's seafront promenade June 25 to march in the largest Pride parade held worldwide since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, a press release announced. The Jerusalem Post noted ...
|Business owner Christy Webber faces criminal charges 2021-06-23|
- Business owner Christy Webber, a prominent donor to, and activist in, local LGBTQ and other causes and campaigns, is facing a number of criminal charges following a traffic accident and altercation last month. Webber, owner of ...
|Pritzker announces $10M vaccination lottery
- As Illinois continues to lead the Midwest in vaccinating our residents, Gov. JB Pritzker announced a new $10 million "All In for the Win" promotion that will reward vaccinated Illinoisans by automatically entering them into a ...
|SAVOR Talking with new Travelle Chef de Cuisine Qi Ai; Profile of Travelle's breakfast 2021-06-09|
- Travelle Chef de Cuisine Qi Ai Travelle at the Langham (330 N Wabash Ave.; https://www.travellechicago.com/) has undergone a major change during the COVID pandemic: New Chef de Cuisine Qi (pronounced "tee") Ai was promoted from sous ...
|Pritzker announces 'Time for Me to Drive' campaign
to jump-start Illinois tourism 2021-05-12|
- Gov. JB Pritzker joined the Illinois Office of Tourism and industry leaders to kick off "Time for Me to Drive"a new campaign to promote the return of travel across the state. In its first new campaign ...
|New Center for Applied Transgender Studies responds to trans misinformation 2021-04-27|
- Combatting bad information and promoting accurate education on transgender issues are the focuses at the Center for Applied Transgender Studies, which officially opened March 31. The independent, nonprofit, research organization ...
|WORLD Peru items, Kenya, UK government, Poland city 2021-04-18|
- The first lesbian elected to Peru's Congress promised to put up a "strong battle" for LGBTQ+ rights in the South American nation as two social conservatives go head to head for a presidential run-off vote in ...
|HIV/AIDS Report: Vaccine may hold promise
- Preliminary data from an early stage clinical trial out of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) and The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, suggests that a new HIV vaccine may hold promise, ABC News ...
- "A little prick is better than no prick at all."Billy Masters. Yes, that's my new motto when it comes to getting the vaccine. If the promise of a prick of any size doesn't entice you … ...