||Latino LGBTQQ Summit Set
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 3218 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
Orgullo en Accion, a new group for Latino/a LGBTQQ individuals, will hold its first leadership summit March 11 from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Humboldt Park Vocational Center, 1645 N. California.
Carlos Mock will emcee the event. Among the scheduled speakers are Pedro Julio Serrano, executive director of Freedom to Marry and media coordinator of Puerto Rico Para Todos; Julio Rodriguez, president of the Association of Latino Men in Action; Evette Cardona, president of Amigas Latinas; Rick Garcia, political director of Equality Illinois; and Victor Pond, director of development of the South Side Help Center. Topics to be discussed will include adoption, legislation, agency longevity, grant writing and Latino LGBTQQ history. Following the summit, a networking event will take place at Circuit, 3641 N. Halsted, from 6-9 p.m.
For more info, contact Carlos Mock at ( 773 ) 561-6617 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Contact Ed Negron at ( 773 ) 419-2587 or email@example.com about free registration.
This article shared 3218 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|VIEWS Google and Chicago's segregated LGBTQ+ community 2021-11-19|
- I was a little baby queer when I moved to Chicago last year. I come from a traditional, cookie-cutter Connecticut town where Vineyard Vines and Sunday school were the standards. So, for a LatinX queer person—who ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago awards grants to Black- and Latinx-led organizations 2021-11-12|
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has awarded eight grantstotaling $72,000to BIPOC-led organizations working to address the HIV/AIDS crisis in Black and Latinx neighborhoods across Chicago. The grants came from AFC's Learning ...
|LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic 2021-10-29|
- As part of its COVID-19 Grand Rounds series, AIDS Foundation Chicago hosted an Oct. 26 panel featuring LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers sharing how the pandemic has impacted their personal and professional lives. Panelists included Howard Brown ...
|Co-founder of LGBTQ Latinx organization reflects after decades of activism 2021-10-12|
- When activist Julio Rodriguez was 5 years old, a teacher forced him to stand up in class and choose another name—maybe John, she suggested, since people couldn't pronounce "Julio." By the time he got home, he ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...
|Latin Restaurant Weeks taking place in Chicago Oct. 4-18 2021-09-28|
- National Hispanic Heritage Month takes place Sept. 15-Oct. 15, recognizing the many contributions of Hispanic Americans. As an effort to acknowledge the successful influences and cultures of Hispanic Americans, Latin Restaurant Weeks, LLC, will host its ...
|Latinx Humanist Alliance, American Humanist Association hosting activism training 2021-09-27|
- The Latinx Humanist Alliance and the American Humanist Association, in partnership with the Midwest Academy, are hosting a virtual grassroots activism 101 training on Friday, Oct. 1, 4-5:30 p.m. CT; and Saturday, Oct. 2, 1-2:30 p.m. ...
|Report: 2.3M Latinx LGBT adults live in the U.S. 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that an estimated 2.3 million adults in the U.S. identify as Hispanic or Latino/a and LGBT. Researchers found that Latinx LGBT people fare ...
|THEATER 'American Mariachi' at Goodman on Sept. 18-Oct. 24 2021-09-05|
- Goodman Theatre is running American Mariachia new comedy about the freedom to dream big, written by Jose Cruz Gonzalez, directed by Goodman Resident Artistic Associate Henry Godinez and presented as part of Chicago Latino Theater Alliance's ...
|Mental health of Black and Latinx LGBQ people worsened after the 2016 presidential election 2021-08-26|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law finds that the mental health of Black and Latinx LGBQ people declined in the 17 months following the 2016 presidential election of Donald ...
|Filmmakers debut Latinx-centered pandemic documentary 2021-08-06|
- Community members gathered at Chicago History Museum (CHM) July 22 for the debut of the locally produced documentary Seguimos Aqui: Pride, Pandemic and Perseverance as well as a conversation with that film's primary collaborators. Seguimos Aqu ...
|Chicago photographer, activist Ed Negron dies [UPDATED] 2021-07-24|
- Ed Negron—an activist, Army veteran and substance-abuse counselor who served for many years as a dedicated bisexual volunteer, mentor, leader and advocate in the LGBTQ, Latino and recovering communities—passed away ...
|Local film about Latinx community and COVID to screen July 22 2021-07-12|
- On Thursday, July 22, at 6 p.m., the Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., will host a screening of the film Seguimos Aqui. This documentary tells four unique stories of the impact of COVID on ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...
|WORLD Historic ruling, Pope Francis, photo contest, Methodist Church 2021-07-04|
- In a first-of-its-kind decision in Latin America, The Inter-American Court of Human Rights found the Honduran state guilty of the extrajudicial execution of transgender activist Vicky Hernandez, which occurred June 28-29, 2009, according to The Washington ...