WINDY CITY TIMES
||Labor Department expanda Family and Medical Leave to gay couples
From a press release
This article shared 2979 times since Sat Aug 10, 2013
WASHINGTON, DC - The Wall Street Journal has confirmed that the U.S. Labor Department has issued guidance to inform employers, employees, and federal courts about an important change under the Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA) in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court decision striking down the Defense of Marriage Act. According to the new guidance, the FMLA now protects gay and lesbian married couples.
"Freedom to Work endorsed Tom Perez for Labor Secretary because we know him to be a champion for good jobs for everyone, so we are thrilled that the Labor Department has issued public guidance that will let employers and federal courts know that gay and lesbian married couples must be treated with respect when they seek workplace leave to take care of a same-sex spouse that gets into an accident or is diagnosed with an illness," explained Tico Almeida, president of Freedom to Work, a national organization dedicated to ending workplace discrimination. "Given the incredible passion and intellect that Secretary Perez brings to these important issues, we remain hopeful that he will continue to push to expand LGBT career opportunity and persuade the Obama White House to join the Labor Department in standing on the right side of history on LGBT workplace issues."
The Family & Medical Leave Act entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons. Prior to the ruling against DOMA, the Labor Department didn't require employers to grant married gay couples leave if one spouse in the relationship fell ill and needed care because DOMA prohibited federal recognition of same-sex marriage. But with DOMA out of the picture, the Obama administration is free to enforce FMLA on behalf of married same-sex couples. Gay and lesbian employees can also enforce their FMLA rights in federal court.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
This article shared 2979 times since Sat Aug 10, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Japan politics, video games, lesbian tennis player, Mr. Gay World 2021-10-10|
- LGBTQ+-rights activists were hoping Japan would finally allow same-sex marriage if Taro Kono, who has publicly supported same-sex marriage, became the country's next prime minister—but their hopes were dashed. Japan's ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...
|Liz Cheney: 'I was wrong' to oppose same-sex marriage 2021-09-27|
- U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney saidin a segment of the CBS show 60 Minutes that aired Sept. 26she was "wrong" to oppose same-sex marriage when her objection to it caused a public split with her family, including ...
|Nearly two-thirds of Swiss residents vote for marriage equality 2021-09-26|
- Almost two-thirds of Switzerland's voters backed the government's plan to introduce same-sex marriage in a referendum held Sept. 26, with campaigners calling it a historic day for gay rights in Switzerland, Yahoo! News reported, citing AFP. ...
|NATIONAL Danica Roem, 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' abortion appeal, Lambda Legal 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Virginia legislator Danica Roem is facing a conservative marriage-equality opponent and former Trump administration member in her re-election race this November, Yahoo! News noted. Roem, a Democrat, was elected to the House of Delegates in ...
|WORLD Marches, world leaders, Swiss marriage, soccer match 2021-09-26|
- Thousands of people including soldiers and diplomats marched peacefully through the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv in an annual Pride parade despite some opposition to an event called off last year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Reuters ...
|[UPDATE] Lisle school offers job to lacrosse coach in same-sex marriage 2021-09-21|
- The administration at Lisle’s Benet Academy, a west suburban Catholic school, has reversed course and offered a job to a woman in a same-sex marriage after initially rescinding the offer, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Pope again refuses to bless same-sex marriages 2021-09-18|
- Pope Francis told reporters recently on a return flight from Hungary that the Catholic Church is unable to bless same-sex marriages because marriage is a divine sacrament between a man and a woman, per The Advocate. ...
|Polis marriage marks first same-sex wedding of sitting governor 2021-09-17|
- On Sept. 15, Colorado Democratic Gov. Jared Polis wed longtime partner Marlon Reis—marking the first same-sex marriage of a sitting U.S. governor, NPR reported. Polis keeps making history. In 2018, Polis became the first openly gay ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate two Illinois marriage certificate modernization bills 2021-07-27|
--From a press release - Trans and non-binary people who were married in Illinois will now be able to obtain marriage certificates that reflect their authentic selves thanks to legislation signed today by Governor JB Pritzker, according to Equality Illinois and ...
|WORLD Marriage in Chile, Polish website, Toronto news, 'Reclaim Pride' march 2021-07-25|
- On July 21, Chile's Senate approved an equal-marriage bill, DW.com reported. The regulations were presented during the second government of the socialist Michelle Bachelet (2014-2018) and last June 1, during ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate passage of Illinois marriage certificate name change legislation 2021-05-28|
--From a press release - LGBTQ advocates are celebrating passage of state legislation that will provide certainty for individuals requesting that their Illinois marriage certificates reflect a legal name change. HB 2590 is an initiative of Equality Illinois and Chicago House ...
|LGBT-inclusive marriage-certificate act passes state General Assembly 2021-05-21|
--From a press release - May 21. 2021 - In an effort to modernize marriage certificates in Illinois, state Sen. Sara Feigenholtz and state Rep. Ann Williams helped pass The Marriage Certificate Modernization Act through the Illinois General Assembly. The legislation ...
|Starting May 3, ceremonies in Cook County's downtown Marriage Court can be performed by Zoom 2021-04-30|
- CHICAGO (April 30) — Marriage and civil union ceremonies at Cook County's downtown Marriage and Civil Union Court (Marriage Court) may be performed via Zoom videoconference, as well as in person, starting next week, according to ...
|Illinois Senate passes proposal removing gendered language from marriage certificates
--From a press release - On April 21, on its third reading, the Illinois Senate passed (by a bipartisan vote of 44-13) a proposal that amends the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act to allow the removal of gendered language ...