WINDY CITY TIMES
||La Dulce Palabra fundraiser Sept. 22
This article shared 2070 times since Wed Sep 19, 2012
The La Dulce Palabra (LDP) spoken-word ensemble will hold its "Beauty = Women; Mujeres Pa'lante" fundraiser Saturday, Sept. 22, at La Casa Puertorriquena, 1237 N. California Ave., 6 p.m.-12 a.m.
The event will feature live, spoken-word performances by Misty DeBerry, Carmen Abrego Galindo, La Dulce Palabra and many more. There will also be art exhibits, performances and raffles.
Admission is $10; call 773-344-4512 or visit www.Facebook.com/LaDulcePalabra.
This article shared 2070 times since Wed Sep 19, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Report: 2.3M Latinx LGBT adults live in the U.S. 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that an estimated 2.3 million adults in the U.S. identify as Hispanic or Latino/a and LGBT. Researchers found that Latinx LGBT people fare ...
|THEATER 'American Mariachi' at Goodman on Sept. 18-Oct. 24 2021-09-05|
- Goodman Theatre is running American Mariachia new comedy about the freedom to dream big, written by Jose Cruz Gonzalez, directed by Goodman Resident Artistic Associate Henry Godinez and presented as part of Chicago Latino Theater Alliance's ...
|Mental health of Black and Latinx LGBQ people worsened after the 2016 presidential election 2021-08-26|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law finds that the mental health of Black and Latinx LGBQ people declined in the 17 months following the 2016 presidential election of Donald ...
|Filmmakers debut Latinx-centered pandemic documentary 2021-08-06|
- Community members gathered at Chicago History Museum (CHM) July 22 for the debut of the locally produced documentary Seguimos Aqui: Pride, Pandemic and Perseverance as well as a conversation with that film's primary collaborators. Seguimos Aqu ...
|Chicago photographer, activist Ed Negron dies [UPDATED] 2021-07-24|
- Ed Negron—an activist, Army veteran and substance-abuse counselor who served for many years as a dedicated bisexual volunteer, mentor, leader and advocate in the LGBTQ, Latino and recovering communities—passed away ...
|Local film about Latinx community and COVID to screen July 22 2021-07-12|
- On Thursday, July 22, at 6 p.m., the Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., will host a screening of the film Seguimos Aqui. This documentary tells four unique stories of the impact of COVID on ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...
|WORLD Historic ruling, Pope Francis, photo contest, Methodist Church 2021-07-04|
- In a first-of-its-kind decision in Latin America, The Inter-American Court of Human Rights found the Honduran state guilty of the extrajudicial execution of transgender activist Vicky Hernandez, which occurred June 28-29, 2009, according to The Washington ...
|DANCE Joffrey Academy seeking submissions from minority applicants for competition 2021-06-01|
- The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, has announced a national call for ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab and Native American) artists to submit applications for The Joffrey Academy's Twelfth Annual Winning ...
|Becoming Johanna to air on WTTW 2021-05-31|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL: Becoming Johanna, a compelling story that follows the struggles transgender teens face every day, airs Friday, June 25th at 8:30pm on WTTW (11.1 channel). The film follows Johanna, a 16-year-old transgender Latina, as she ...
|Illinois Latino Agenda issues statement on shooting of Adam Toledo 2021-04-15|
--From a press release - On March 29, 2021, 13-year-old Adam Toledo was shot and killed by a Chicago police officer. Since the shooting, there have been different narratives formed of who Adam Toledo was. Various media have made allegations saying ...
|NATIONAL Anti-trans attacks, Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, tower, Mary Trump 2021-03-28|
- Rayanna Pardo, a 26-year-old Latinx trans woman, was struck by a car and killed while fleeing from a small mob in Los Angeles on March 17, out.com reported. Security video showed Pardo being chased and assaulted ...
'Pose' to end after season three
- The FX show Pose—the groundbreaking series focused on New York City's African-American and Latino LGBTQ+ drag ball culture scene in the 1980s and ‘90s—will end after its third season, Deadline reported. ...
|Among California Latinx, older LGBs more likely than straight peers to have stress 2021-02-04|
--From a Williams Institute press release - In both LGB and straight populations, Latinx people had poorer physical health outcomes New research from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that Latinx older adults in California are similar to their non-LGB ...
|Chicago History Museum partners with ALMA in new 'OUT at CHM' series
- The Chicago History Museum announced a new partnership with the local LGBTQ+ group Association of Latinos/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA). This partnership is the culmination of a longstanding collaboration with OUT at CHM and will highlight the ...