||LGBTs included in immigration bill
This article shared 3180 times since Fri Oct 1, 2010
Washington, D.C.The Immigration Equality Action Fund has praised the introduction of a comprehensive immigration reform bill in the Senate, by Senator Robert Menendez, D-N.J., which includes the Uniting American Families Act ( UAFA ) , a measure to end discrimination against LGBT immigrant families.
"The Immigration Equality Action Fund welcomes Senator Menendez's inclusive legislation, and calls on Congress to pass comprehensive reform, and fix our broken immigration system, immediately," said Rachel B. Tiven, the group's executive director. "This new bill includes numerous, positive developments for LGBT immigrants, including UAFA, the DREAM Act and a pathway to citizenship. All three components are important to ensuring that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender immigrants are able to contribute fully to our country while keeping their families together. The LGBT community must press for the passage of Senator Menendez's bill, and call on our allies in Congress to support the legislation. This legislation will finally end the obstacles so many familiesboth gay and straightstruggle with every day."
Under current immigration law, lesbian and gay Americans are unable to sponsor their foreign-born partners for residency in the United States. As a result, LGBT binational couples are forced apart, or into exile, by discriminatory immigration laws. UAFAsponsored in the Senate by Senator Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., and in the House by Congressman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y.would eliminate that double standard, and apply immigration laws equally to LGBT Americans, and their partners. UAFA is currently co-sponsored by 161 lawmakers in both chambers of Congress.
"It is simply unconscionable that our immigration laws tear families apart," Tiven concluded. "Senator Menendez's legislation, which is a truly comprehensive bill, would provide LGBT families with important opportunities to keep their families together. The bill's introduction is welcome news not just for lesbian and gay Americans, but also their extended families, their communities and our country. The Immigration Equality Action Fund is committed to working for its passage."
This article shared 3180 times since Fri Oct 1, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBTQ+ rights and immigration activist Edafe Okporo to be honored with American Heritage Award 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, June 13, 2022—The American Immigration Council will honor global LGBTQ+ rights activist and founder of Refuge America, Edafe Okporo, with its American Heritage Award on Friday, June 17 at the Javits Center in New York. ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|Achy Obejas' bilingual poetry book Boomerang/Bumeran explores immigration, liberation 2021-10-11|
- Achy Obejas is a Cuban-American writer, translator and activist. Boomerang/Bumerán, her newest book, confronts questions of immigration, love and liberation. Like a boomerang, these ideas return throughout the collection, even ...
|CAIC announces 2021 Collaborative Works Festival, immigration, migration in song 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC) begins its eleventh anniversary season with its annual Collaborative Works Festival, held in venues around Chicago from October 6 9, 2021. The 2021 Collaborative ...
|Quigley again calls for end to detention of trans migrants 2021-07-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus and a founding Member of the Transgender Equality Task Force, led thirty House Democrats in calling for an end to ...
|OP-ED Foreign drug pricing puts America's most vulnerable patients last 2021-07-03|
By Guy Anthony - It's no coincidence that American companies led the charge to develop COVID-19 vaccines. Numerous policies from strong patent protections to a welcoming immigration system help ensure that the world's smartest scientists can ...
|Quigley advocates for trans immigrants during ICE hearing 2021-05-13|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus and a founding member of the Transgender Equality Task Force, questioned Acting Director of Immigration ...
|Applications for asylum based on LGBT status top 11,000 between 2012, 2017
--From a press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law estimates that 11,400 applications for asylum on the basis of LGBT status were filed in the U.S. between 2012 and 2017. Three out of ...
|TANIA UNZUETA: Fighting for justice, one cause at a time 2021-03-04|
- LGBTQ, immigration and political activist Tania Unzueta has spent the last three years living in Georgia involved in political and electoral organizing. She returned to Chicago in January with her partner. Unzueta came to Chicago from ...
|1.3 million adult immigrants in the US identify as LGBT
--From a press release - LGBT immigrants are more often male and younger compared to all immigrants in the country An estimated 1,274,500 LGBT foreign-born adults live in the U.S., including 289,700 who are undocumented and 984,800 who are documented, according ...
|Cook County Board unanimously approves immigration resolution
- On Jan. 28, the Cook County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved resolution #21-0495, which calls upon the federal government to implement policies to protect the immigrant community and strengthen the immigration system in the United States. ...
|Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
- In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its ...
|Lambda Legal, others challenge Trump administration's asylum rule
- Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality and co-counsel Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP filed a federal lawsuit, Immigration Equality v. U.S. Department of Homeland Security, challenging the Trump administration's recently published ...
|Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality to challenge asylum ban
- On Dec. 10, the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice announced they will soon publish a new rule that Lambda Legal said "eviscerates the United States asylum system," according to a joint press release ...
|Largest survey of undocumented immigrants finds acute economic distress 2020-12-07|
- LOS ANGELES — The members of the California Immigrant Relief Assistance Coalition announce the release of one of the largest surveys of undocumented immigrant needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. More than 91,000 Californians participated in the ...