WINDY CITY TIMES
||LGBTQ advocates call for restoration of Voting Rights Act
From a press release
This article shared 1816 times since Fri Mar 6, 2015
WASHINGTON, DC, March 6, 2015Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday and the seminal 54-mile march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama. The march, which took place at the height of the struggle for civil rights in the 1960s, was pivotal to the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Key portions of this landmark federal legislation were struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court in its 2013 Shelby County v Holder ruling.
"The Justice Department's report this week on the draconian and racially biased policing in Ferguson, Missouri further proves that racial discrimination is still a major problem in the U.S. And as we have seen in election after election, people of color are having their right to vote diminished and in many instances removed by unnecessary voter ID laws as well as discriminatory polling practices. As LGBTQ people, and LGBTQ people of color, we know all too well what it means to be marginalized, stripped of our human dignity, and denied basic rights.
"The blood, sweat, and tears shed to secure critical reforms during from the 1960s until today in 2015 cannot be in vain. We must keep Dr. King's dream alive, we must continue the legacy of Selma, and we must recommit to eradicating all forms of discrimination. As we reflect on the 50 year anniversary of Bloody Sunday, we urge members of Congress to restore the Voting Rights Act and eliminate barriers to full freedom, justice, and equality for all," said Rev. Darlene Nipper, Deputy Executive Director, National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund.
This article shared 1816 times since Fri Mar 6, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|Utah bans conversion therapy 2023-03-23|
- On March 22, Republican Utah Gov. Spencer Cox signed a bill that bans licensed professionals from practicing conversion therapythe discredited practice that attempts to turn LGBTQ+ people heterosexualon minors, Q ...
|ELECTIONS 2023 Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson discusses religion, LGBTQ+ issues, holistic approach 2023-03-22|
- Chicago mayoral candidates Brandon Johnson and Paul Vallas seem to have little in common. Johnson, a Cook County commissioner, has embraced a more progressive platform that employs everything from a more holistic approach to crime to ...
|More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ leaders endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor of Chicago 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ community leaders are united in their support for Brandon Johnson for Mayor in Chicago's runoff election, representing the city's business, philanthropic, academic, civic ...
|N.Y. attorney general hosts Drag Story Hour 2023-03-21|
- On March 19, New York Attorney General Letitia Jamesalong with a coalition of advocacy organizations and elected leadershosted a first-of-its-kind Drag Story Hour Read-A-Thon for families in New York City, per a press release from her ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|Major national LGBTQ+ groups condemn Oklahoma House censure motion against Rep. Mauree Turner 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Last week, Oklahoma Representative Mauree Turner was the target of a censure motion by Republican leaders — a blatant attempt to silence the first openly non-binary U.S. state legislator. The motion passed on a party line ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 48th Ward candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth speaks about her run-off race 2023-03-15|
- Note: The following interview is part of Windy City Times' ongoing coverage of LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 Chicago municipal elections. The run-off election takes place Tuesday, April 4. Following the Feb. 28 primary electionwhere 10 ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson endorses 48th Ward alderperson candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, community organizer and progressive advocate, earned the endorsement of Chicago Mayoral Candidate Cook County Commissioner Brandon Johnson. Since the February 28th runoff election, Manaa-Hoppenworth has ...
|Personal PAC to endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Personal PAC, one of Illinois' leading organizations dedicated to protecting reproductive rights, announces today an endorsement for Brandon Johnson for mayor: From the organization: "Personal PAC is proud to stand with Brandon Johnson ...
|Mayoral candidate Johnson appears at monthly LGBTQ+ event 2023-03-13|
- On the evening of March 11, mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson made a surprise appearance in front of a packed room at the monthly LGBTQ+ event Slo Mo Jam, which was held at Sleeping Village, 3734 W. ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|