||LETTERS: Affinity Thanks
This article shared 3752 times since Thu Sep 1, 2005
On July 30, Affinity Community Services celebrated 10 years of preventing isolation and providing services to the Black lesbian and bisexual women's community. The event was a smashing success! The success of Jazz 'n July this year is attributed to a variety of factors, particularly the acquisition of key sponsorship. Although we acknowledged all of our sponsors and funders at the event, we inadvertently left the name of one of our major sponsors out of our program book. We wanted to take time today to not only thank this sponsor but to acknowledge the long-term support she has given to Affinity over the years.
When others have chosen not to support Affinity through sponsorship, she was there. When most media outlets selected not to cover the organizing efforts of the Affinity, she ensured that the work we do on behalf of Black lesbian and bisexual women was covered. This coverage has been a critical mechanism for communicating one of the core principles of our mission—'visibility in organizing' and for this we are grateful! Her support was instrumental in introducing the community to our work at its inception in 1995, and continues to play a vital role in supporting our growth. Her efforts serve as a reminder to her readership locally and nationally that the LGBT community exists and organizes throughout the city of Chicago. We thank her for being a Partner in Justice!
The Board of Directors of Affinity Community Services, extends the most sincere expression of: THANKS TO TRACY BAIM AND WINDY CITY NEWS MEDIA FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND GENEROSITY OVER THE PAST TEN YEARS.
This article shared 3752 times since Thu Sep 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Showrunners send abortion-protection letters to Hollywood execs 2022-08-02|
- Recently, more than 400 TV creators and showrunnersall of them women (including Shonda Rhimes, Issa Rae, Amy Sherman-Palladino, Natasha Lyonne and Ava DuVernay)sent letters to top executives at Hollywood studios ...
|WORLD Japanese ruling, Pride events, Colombia election, Boris Johnson 2022-06-26|
- A Japanese court ruled that the country's ban on same-sex marriage does not violate the constitution, and rejected demands for compensation by three couples who said their right to free union and equality has been violated, ...
|VIEWPOINT: LETTERS Pride: Remembering who we are 2022-05-30|
- The LGBTQAI community echoes the mantra of secular society: Happiness comes from sex, money and power. Life is too busy with work and leisure to have time for religion and/or values. During this period of Pride ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|LETTERS A difference in opinion about Vatican document 2022-04-07|
- I am responding to DignityUSA Executive Director Marianne Duddy-Burks, who issued a press release that Windy City Times published. A newly released document from the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education could trigger a new wave of ...
|LETTER Remembering Archbishop Tutu 2021-12-28|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu passed away in Cape Town, South Africa, on Dec. 26 at the age of 90. In 1984, he won the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his efforts to bring about a peaceful transition to a society with ...
|LETTER TO THE EDITOR Thanksgiving is a time to reflect 2021-11-24|
- Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for a God that created us and loves us. The sins of racism, sexism, ageism and classicism are neoclassic examples of how we have fallen short. We have come ...
|VIEWS In defense of the word 'lesbian' 2021-11-19|
- When I decided to come out to my mom, I wanted to wait until I could say the word "lesbian" out loud. But as I sat her down, I tripped over the long string of letters. "Mom, I'm gay," I blurted ...
|LETTER TO THE EDITOR Opinion: The parade must go on 2021-09-02|
- I am responding to the letter from Tim Frye, the current 2021 coordinator of Chicago's Pride Parade, about the cancellation of the event that was scheduled for Oct. 3. I agree that this decision takes in ...
|LETTER: Pride, a time for hope 2021-06-12|
- Pride is so much more than a parade, a march or even a demonstration for the LGBTQAI community. In other words, this is an opportunity for us to celebrate our diversity among our various communities, and ...
|LETTER A matter of race 2021-05-20|
- I applaud Mayor Lori Lightfoot's courageous statement on only giving one-on-one interviews to journalists of color. She obviously wants to see a public dialogue on this matter. White privilege is a topic we must look at ...
|Hate mail threatening Obamas, Biden, Harris sent to DuSable 2021-04-28|
- The Secret Service is investigating six threatening letters sent to the DuSable Museum of African American History that mention President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and the Obama family, among others, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|LETTER The Vatican's words and actions do not echo love 2021-03-18|
- The LGBTQA community is responding with shock, anger and frustration at the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith statement concerning same-sex unions. Many in our community can't understand why Pope Francis would allow such a ...
|LETTER Federal anti-discrimination protection? Inevitable 2021-02-06|
- =The astute can predict the future with more than a modicum of confidence by examining history. Nate Silver did this last year at fivethirtyeight.com, as did Vegas oddsmakers, in predicting the victory of President Joe Biden over der ...
|Letter: Greed overrides common sense
- Jeffrey Sanker, founder of the White Party concept decades ago, is now at the center of brewing online civil war in the gay community. It was reported by some online LGBTQ media news outlets such as ...