WINDY CITY TIMES
||LETTER Invite to the pope
This article shared 2338 times since Wed Sep 16, 2015
Many of us in the United States are looking forward to your visit, especially here in Philadelphia, where you will attend the World Meeting of Families. You have told us time and again that the "Church isn't a toll house" but the house of God "where there is a place for everyone, with all their problems."
However, I'm sorry to tell you that, while you have been fostering an atmosphere of dialogue, tolerance and pastoral understanding, all is not well with your family here. There is hate speech and discrimination of a vast scale. Those issues are affecting Catholic families and especially their children. Children of married LGBT couples have been refused entry into your schools and long-standing respected LGBT teachers are being fired from them. The harm this does to children, teachers and their families is palpable, manifesting into further hate.
Sadly, while you call for a Church that listens, encounters and welcomes everyone, our local church has practiced a culture of exclusion. You said two years that ago that "if someone is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?"
Therefore, while you are in Philadelphia, Catholic LGBT organizations from around the nation have joined with the Dr. Magnus Hirschfeld Fund, the developer of Philadelphia's LGBT-friendly affordable senior living facility, to invite you and your representatives to meet those children, teachers and families who are only wishing to dialogue with you and express how their families have been affected.
Philadelphia Gay News
This article shared 2338 times since Wed Sep 16, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Theater Review: one in two 2023-03-01|
- Playwright: Donja R. Love. At: PrideArts at Pride Arts Center, 4139 N. Broadway Tickets: 773-857-0222; $35. Runs through March 19 Playwright Donja R. Love stresses that lower case letters should be used for the title of ...
|New York Times publishes transphobic column one day after an open letter condemning anti-trans coverage, HRC responds 2023-02-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON This morning, the New York Times published yet another opinion piece attacking the transgender and non-binary community. The piece, "In Defense of J.K. Rowling" was written by Pamela Paul and was published merely one day ...
|Showrunners send abortion-protection letters to Hollywood execs 2022-08-02|
- Recently, more than 400 TV creators and showrunnersall of them women (including Shonda Rhimes, Issa Rae, Amy Sherman-Palladino, Natasha Lyonne and Ava DuVernay)sent letters to top executives at Hollywood studios ...
|WORLD Japanese ruling, Pride events, Colombia election, Boris Johnson 2022-06-26|
- A Japanese court ruled that the country's ban on same-sex marriage does not violate the constitution, and rejected demands for compensation by three couples who said their right to free union and equality has been violated, ...
|VIEWPOINT: LETTERS Pride: Remembering who we are 2022-05-30|
- The LGBTQAI community echoes the mantra of secular society: Happiness comes from sex, money and power. Life is too busy with work and leisure to have time for religion and/or values. During this period of Pride ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|LETTERS A difference in opinion about Vatican document 2022-04-07|
- I am responding to DignityUSA Executive Director Marianne Duddy-Burks, who issued a press release that Windy City Times published. A newly released document from the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education could trigger a new wave of ...
|LETTER Remembering Archbishop Tutu 2021-12-28|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu passed away in Cape Town, South Africa, on Dec. 26 at the age of 90. In 1984, he won the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his efforts to bring about a peaceful transition to a society with ...
|LETTER TO THE EDITOR Thanksgiving is a time to reflect 2021-11-24|
- Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for a God that created us and loves us. The sins of racism, sexism, ageism and classicism are neoclassic examples of how we have fallen short. We have come ...
|VIEWS In defense of the word 'lesbian' 2021-11-19|
- When I decided to come out to my mom, I wanted to wait until I could say the word "lesbian" out loud. But as I sat her down, I tripped over the long string of letters. "Mom, I'm gay," I blurted ...
|LETTER TO THE EDITOR Opinion: The parade must go on 2021-09-02|
- I am responding to the letter from Tim Frye, the current 2021 coordinator of Chicago's Pride Parade, about the cancellation of the event that was scheduled for Oct. 3. I agree that this decision takes in ...
|LETTER: Pride, a time for hope 2021-06-12|
- Pride is so much more than a parade, a march or even a demonstration for the LGBTQAI community. In other words, this is an opportunity for us to celebrate our diversity among our various communities, and ...
|LETTER A matter of race 2021-05-20|
- I applaud Mayor Lori Lightfoot's courageous statement on only giving one-on-one interviews to journalists of color. She obviously wants to see a public dialogue on this matter. White privilege is a topic we must look at ...
|Hate mail threatening Obamas, Biden, Harris sent to DuSable 2021-04-28|
- The Secret Service is investigating six threatening letters sent to the DuSable Museum of African American History that mention President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and the Obama family, among others, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|LETTER The Vatican's words and actions do not echo love 2021-03-18|
- The LGBTQA community is responding with shock, anger and frustration at the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith statement concerning same-sex unions. Many in our community can't understand why Pope Francis would allow such a ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Biden appoints Laura Ricketts to Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|