||King Day Events
This article shared 4081 times since Thu Jan 1, 2004
Chicago Black Lesbians and Gays presents their 9th Annual Free Breakfast Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 'In Times Like These We Need a King,' Monday, Jan. 19, 10 a.m., Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox Avenue, Chicago 60630,
www.irishamhc.com . (Kennedy Expy into Edens Expy. Exit Wilson Ave East 1 block). This year's breakfast will be a champagne brunch to also celebrate CBLG's 10-year Anniversary.
Contact CBLG: (312) 409-4917 or www.CBLG2K2@AOL.COM
This article shared 4081 times since Thu Jan 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Photos of Chicago's Daniel Sotomayor included in new Smithsonian exhibit 2022-06-22|
- The Smithsonian's first gallery dedicated to Latino history and culture has opened its doors to the public at the National Museum of American History, NBC News noted. Billed as a precursor to a national Latino museum ...
|Local trans icon June LaTrobe dies 2022-06-11|
- June M. LaTrobe—a Chicago trans icon known for her activism—has passed away. She turned 81 on June 1. Being an advocate for the trans community, LaTrobe participated in many events (such as protests) and often took ...
|Puerto Rican Arts Alliance holds 'Community Parades and Activism' 2022-06-05|
- Puerto Rican Arts Alliance (PRAA) held the a panel discussion"Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space"June 4 at the PRAA Center. According to its website, PRAA is "a premier ...
|About Face to run immersive comedy about climate-change activism 2022-05-27|
- About Face Theatre brings its 27th season to a close with a world premiere comedy created by and starring the About Face Youth Theatre ensemble. Gayme Changers will run June 18-24 at The Den Theater, 1331 ...
|'Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space' on June 4 2022-05-26|
- The discussion-centered event "Community Parades and Activism: LGBTQ Claiming its Space" will take place Saturday, June 4, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Puerto Rican Arts Alliance, 3000 N. Elbridge Ave. An open discussion about LGBTQ/SGL activism ...
|LGBTQ Religious Archives Network holds 'AIDS, Activism and American Christianity' webinar 2022-05-12|
- LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) held an "AIDS, Activism and American Christianity: A Conversation" virtual webinar on May 5. The event focused on Christian activism during the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1980s and ...
|'It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful' explores art collective's part in HIV/AIDS activism 2022-04-23|
- In Jack Lowery's book, It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful: How AIDS Activists Used Art to Fight a Pandemic, the historian shares how the art collective Gran Fury utilized community-made propaganda to address the HIV/AIDS ...
|VIEWS Trans women passing the torch 2022-01-19|
- I am writing this letter to the editor to compliment Windy City Times on its recent article "Passing the torch: How generations of trans women approach activism, advocacy," by Max Lubbers. The article highlights how the ...
|Passing the torch: How generations of trans women approach activism, advocacy 2022-01-18|
- As part of an older generation of transgender women in Chicago (including icon Gloria Allen), advocate Channyn Lynne Parker knows the work will outlast her. That's why she thinks of advocacy like a marathon, not a ...
|HIV AT 40: Longtime advocate Gregg Gonsalves talks activist roots, Larry Kramer and COVID 2021-12-08|
- When it comes to dealing with HIV/AIDS, few people have been on the front linesin the areas of activism, research and instructionlike Gregg Gonsalves. Gonsalves, a MacArthur fellow, is an expert in policy modeling on infectious ...
|AFC commemorates passing of the HIV decriminalization law with World AIDS Day event Dec. 1 2021-11-24|
--From a press release - The World AIDS Day Community Celebration of the Historic Passage of HB1063, which ended criminal penalties against people living with HIV, will be hosted by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC). It will also commemorate World AIDS Day ...
|Activist projects names of trans dead on Netflix HQ 2021-11-21|
--From a press release - LOS GATOS — On the Trans Day of Remembrance, the names of trans people who died this year were projected onto Netflix's Silicon Valley headquarters. The words of light were visible from Winchester Boulevard, over the ...
|Combining creativity with consulting, trans-rights activists launch Better World Collaborative 2021-11-04|
- With years of activism behind them, transgender-rights advocates Crispin Torres and Rebecca Kling have sat through countless workshops. But they'd often leave their seats or Zoom calls feeling disappointed. Workshops don't need ...
|Co-founder of LGBTQ Latinx organization reflects after decades of activism 2021-10-12|
- When activist Julio Rodriguez was 5 years old, a teacher forced him to stand up in class and choose another name maybe John, she suggested, since people couldn't pronounce "Julio." By the time he got home, he ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...