WINDY CITY TIMES
||Kevin Spacey granted bail at UK hearing
This article shared 1505 times since Thu Jun 16, 2022
On June 16, embattled actor Kevin Spacey was granted unconditional bail at a magistrates court hearing in Westminster, London, as the sexual-assault case against him was referred to Southwark Crown Court, Deadline reported.
Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikran said he did not believe Spaceyappearing under his full name of Kevin Spacey Fowlerposed a flight risk. Therefore, he was free to move freely in the time leading to his trial, including traveling to the United States for work.
The two-time Oscar winner's case has been referred to Southwark Crown Court for Thursday, July 14.
On June 13, Spacey was formally charged with four counts of sexual assault and "causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent," by the Metropolitan Police following a review of evidence by the Crown Prosecution Service.
This article shared 1505 times since Thu Jun 16, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lambda Legal, ACLU of Iowa file lawsuit against sweeping anti-LGBTQ law in Iowa 2023-12-07|
--From a press release - Last Tuesday, Lambda Legal filed a lawsuit wit ACLU of Iowa and with co-counsel support from the law firm Jenner & Block LLP to block a sweeping law in Iowa (SF 496) that seeks to silence ...
|NATIONAL Tenn. law, banned books, rainbow complex, journalists quit 2023-12-01|
- Under pressure from a lawsuit over an anti-LGBTQ+ city ordinance, officials in Murfreesboro, Tennessee removed language that banned homosexuality in public, MSNBC noted. Passed in June, Murfreesboro's "public decency" ordinance ...
|Russia court classifies LGBTQ+ activists as 'extremists' 2023-11-30|
- On Nov. 30, Russia's Supreme Court ruled that LGBTQ+-rights activists should be classified as extremistsa move that representatives of queer people fear will lead to arrests and prosecutions, Reuters reported. The court approved a request from ...
|LGBTQ+ couple the first in South Asia to have marriage recognized 2023-11-30|
- Transgender woman Maya Gurung and Surendra Pandey became the first LGBTQ+ couple to have their marriage legally recognized in South Asia after they received a legal certificate in Nepal's Lamjung district on Nov. 29, The Guardian ...
|Trans women banned from playing cricket 2023-11-24|
- Transgender women have been barred from playing in international women's matches under a new policy from the International Cricket Council (ICC), the BBC reported. Any player who has gone through male puberty will not be eligible ...
|WORLD Thai marriage law, French bill, Miss Universe, IKEA, activist dies 2023-11-24|
- Thailand Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said that the cabinet approved a draft law on marriage equality and that it would be brought to parliament during a session starting in December, Reuters reported. If the draft law ...
|NATIONAL Trevor Project, anti-trans crimes, priest sentenced, hate-crimes unit 2023-11-24|
- The Trevor Project announced the extension of its partnership with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, reaffirming its commitment to providing specialized assistance to LGBTQ+ people who call 9-8-8, The Advocate reported. Interim Senior Vice President ...
|SCOTUS Hamburger Mary's decision: small victory, big concerns 2023-11-17|
- In a surprise move, a 6-3 majority of the U.S. Supreme Court did something good for LGBTQ+ people: It rejected Florida's request for a stay against a lower court decision—a stay that would have enabled the ...
|PASSAGES Best-selling author, labor lawyer, feminist, LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman 2023-11-17|
- Best-selling author, renowned pro-union labor lawyer, Brandeis University professor, feminist and LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman died Oct. 31 in Burlington, Vermont of cancer. She was 79. Hirshman was born April 26, 1944, in Cleveland where she ...
|WORLD Latvia, nonbinary magistrate, Gay Games end, Israel soldiers 2023-11-17|
- Latvia's parliament voted to allow same-sex couples to establish civil unions, Reuters reported. Said couples now have legal recognitionbut fewer rights than married couples. The new legislation, slated to take effect in the middle of next ...
|Illinois attorney general part of effort against Oklahoma anti-trans youth law 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Chicago — Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul is opposing a state law in Oklahoma that severely limits the ability of transgender youth to access critical, lifesaving gender-affirming care. Raoul, along with a coalition of attorneys general, ...
|Santos not seeking re-election after wrongdoing evidence is revealed 2023-11-16|
- On Nov. 16, the House Ethics Committee found "substantial evidence" that U.S. Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) violated federal law, setting the stage for another push to expel the embattled gay first-term Congressman and prompting him to ...
|NATIONAL Election results, campus items, Puerto Rican icons, healthcare suit 2023-11-10|
- Historic developments took place during the Nov. 7 elections that happened in some states. LGBTQ+ Victory Fund candidate Rue Landau won an at-large seat on the Philadelphia City Council—making her the first out LGBTQ+ candidate to ...
|Mississippi makes history with first LGBTQ+ state lawmaker, county supervisor 2023-11-07|
- On Nov. 7 Fabian Nelsonbacked by the LGBTQ+ Victory Fundwon the general election to represent District 66 in the Mississippi State House, making history as the first out LGBTQ+ candidate to win election to the state ...
|Three states sue to block abortion-pill sales 2023-11-07|
- On Nov. 6, three statesIdaho, Kansas and Missourisued the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Department of Health and Senior Services for approving the abortion pill mifepristone and allowing its ...