This article shared 12462 times since Sat Nov 1, 2003
The 2003 Neo Soul Explosion Concert series concluded Oct. 3 at the DuSable Museum of African American History, with the singer Kem. He was scheduled to appear Aug. 15; however, this summer's electrical blackout left him stranded on the East Coast. Rescheduling was nothing short of a miracle for Cornerstone Marketing Strategies, the company responsible for the Neo Soul events, but their hard work and diligence paid off. Kem was welcomed by two sold-out shows.
Performing songs from his new release Kemistry, this self-taught musician proved that some people in the music industry still have unadulterated talent. The six-piece band musically introduced itself to the audience. Just as it seemed that they could carry on without him, he entered singing, reminding everyone why they had come. Then he sat front and center at his Motif 8 keyboard and played with the comfort and confidence of a seasoned entertainer, opening with 'Brotha Man,' a song that suggests life's struggles and appreciation for overcoming them.
Kem's vocal style reflected a range of emotions through the way he moved through the scales, gently tapping notes along the way. At times his voice resembled a trumpet revealing the vulnerabilities of life's ups and downs, sometimes coming close to a man's cry. Yet, in the turn of a note he'd reveal life's passion and triumphs. He sang seven songs from his CD, including his hit, 'Love Calls,' slow-dancing on stage with a woman from the audience. Although she was at least four inches taller than his petite frame, the moment captured the strength of his confidence and the romanticism of his music.
Kem played an extended version of the song 'Say' as people swayed back and forth in testimony. However, his jazzy song 'I'm Missin' Your Love' with its underlying jazz flavor, showed his uniqueness and abilities to be his own man behind the microphone. It seems like the humanistic elements of love and life have all but been removed from urban radio; Kem has become a celebration of hope and spirituality.
Ledisi was the surprise opening act for the show. This West Coast singer is also a bonafide entertainer. Virtually unknown in the Midwest, appearing with her musical collaborator, Sundra Manning, on keyboards and two Chicago musicians she picked up just hours earlier on bass and drums, Ledisi made her mark through her repartee and singing. Performing material from her CD, Soul Singer, she charmed the audience and left them screaming for more.
This article shared 12462 times since Sat Nov 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Broadway titan Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 2021-11-27|
- Stephen Sondheim, one of the giants of Broadway songwriting, died Nov. 26 at his home in Roxbury, Connecticut, according to media reports. He was 91. Among the works in the legend's oeuvre are Company (1970), Follies ...
|EVENTS John Grumpy Co. presenting 'Black Sunday' Nov. 28 2021-11-24|
- John Grumpy Co. is hosting "Black Sunday," which will take place at HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.. This event will feature celebrity DJ Jamal Smallz. "Black Sunday" will ...
|MUSIC Grammy nominations announced; GLAAD comments 2021-11-24|
- On Nov. 23, the nominations for the 64th Annual Grammy Awards were announced. John Batiste, the musician who also serves as the bandleader on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, led among all nominees with 11 ...
|MUSIC Controversial rapper DaBaby postpones shows 2021-11-24|
- DaBaby's return to touring following fallout for making anti-gay comments at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami this past summer has been postponed, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. The rapper's been promoting his "Live Show ...
|SHOWBIZ '9-1-1,' Billie Jean King, Lena Waithe, singer Mary Lambert, White Party 2021-11-21|
- Actor Rockmond Dunbar left the Fox show 9-1-1 after four seasons over a vaccine mandate, Deadline noted. His gay character, Michael Grant, was abruptly written off in the Nov. 15 episode, leaving fans of the first-responder ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|MOVIES 'Dante and Beatrice in Florence' Nov. 28-Dec. 5 2021-11-19|
- Porchlight Music Theatre is partnering with Hershey Felder Presents: Live from Florence and its second season of productions. The launch of this new season from Hershey Felder is the new musical film Dante and Beatrice in ...
|Lil Nas X part of 'Jingle Ball' on Dec. 7 2021-11-17|
- Queer rapper Lil Nas X will headline KISS FM's Jingle Ball Presented by Capital One this year, run in coordination with iHeart Radio. The event will take place Tuesday, Dec. 7, at Allstate Arena at 7:30 ...
|Chicago Therapy Collective to honor Trans Day of Resilience 2021-11-16|
- On Saturday, Nov. 20, Chicago Therapy Collective will release an original music video cover of Wildfires (Sault, 2020) in honor of Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) 2021 and the racial justice uprisings of 2020. According to ...
|'When I Am Free' concert supporting Rainbow Railroad on Dec. 3 2021-11-16|
- "When I Am Free: A Benefit Concert for Rainbow Railroad" will take place at Center on Halsted's Hoover-Leppen Theatre, 3656 N. Halsted St., on Friday, Dec. 3, at 7:30 p.m. During this event, there will be ...
|SHOWBIZ Theater items, Lady Gaga, 'Justice League Queer,' Tom of Finland 2021-11-14|
- Eighteen months after he died of COVID, the life of playwright Terrence McNally was celebrated in a packed house Nov. 1 at the Schoenfeld Theatre, Gay City News noted. Tributes poured in from theater artists, while ...
|Britney Spears' conservatorship ends 2021-11-12|
- The conservatorship that has controlled Britney Spears' finances, personal life and medical decisions since 2008, and which for many years was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, has ended. On Nov. 12, Los Angeles County Superior ...
|THEATER REVIEW Pump Boys and Dinettes 2021-11-12|
- Title: Pump Boys and Dinettes. Playwright: Book, music and lyrics by John Foley, Mark Hardwick, Debra Monk, Cass Morgan, John Schimmel and Jim Wann At: Porchlight Music Theatre at the Ruth Page Auditorium. Tickets: $45-$74; PorchlightMusicTheatre.org. ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present Christmas Dearest 2021-11-12|
--From a press release - Book & Lyrics David Cerda Music by David Cerda and Scott Lamberty. Directed by Derek Van Barham. Nov. 27 — Dec. 31, 2021 at Ebenezer Lutheran Churchz CHICAGO (November 11, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag ...
|SHOWBIZ Gay men's chorus, upcoming films, 'Tiger King,' Mariah Carey 2021-11-07|
Video below - The New York City Gay Men's Chorus announced its return to the rehearsal room, per a press release. On Nov. 1, 51 members gathered at P.S. 11 in Chelsea, Manhattan, to sing for the first time ...