WINDY CITY TIMES
||Keisling Visits Center on Halsted
by Tully Satre
This article shared 4509 times since Wed Feb 13, 2008
Mara Keisling, executive director and co-founder of the National Center for Transgender Equality ( NCTE ) , met with the community Mon., Feb. 11, at the Center on Halsted. Keisling, who was visiting Chicago for another event, covered a variety of important issues concerning not only the transgender community, but the overall LGBT community as well.
Keisling, a Pennsylvania native, co-chaired the Pennsylvania Gender Rights Coalition before moving to Washington to help form NCTE. Since the inception of the organization in 2003, Keisling has clarified the position of the trans community on several issues, including the recent Employment Non-Discrimination Act ( ENDA ) , which dropped the trans community out of the picture without any opposition from the country's largest voice for LGBT legislation, the Human Rights Campaign ( HRC ) .
'We believe that they have done a lot of great work,' said Keisling of HRC. 'However, what they did was immoral, how they did it was immoral, and they are still doing it immorally.'
Keisling stressed the importance for unity in what she describes as a moral struggle for both the gay and transgender communities, noting that HRC's actions do not show a full support for the LGBT community as a single unit. 'Either HRC believes we are a part of their core fabric, or they do not,' she added.
While over 350 major LGBT organizations denounced the revised ENDA last October, the Human Rights Campaign stated that they would neither support nor oppose the revised bill, contrary to statements made by HRC President Joe Solomnese the previous month during the nation's largest transgender conference in Atlanta, where he stated that HRC would oppose a non-inclusive ENDA.
'They could not possibly have supported that bill,' said a flustered Keisling, speaking of HRC's promise to oppose a non-inclusive ENDA. 'They failed at morals.'
After the ENDA-related developments, HRC lost its only transgender board member, Donna Rose, as well as the support of NCTE, which refuses to do anything to build credit for HRC as spokespeople for the trans community.
'We are not just a transgender organization,' Keisling said, 'We believe we have an obligation to make society better for everybody.' NCTE focuses on issues concerning federal policy; grassroots organization; documentation and privacy concerns; and medical access issues.
Keisling concluded her talk on an emphatic note: 'Here's the deal—we're winning.'
This article shared 4509 times since Wed Feb 13, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SAVOR Le Petit Chef: A singular, (literally) animated experience 2023-01-29|
- There are experiences and then there are EXPERIENCES. If you're familiar with those recent Immersive Van Gogh and Kahlo events, imagine that transferred to a table setting and you have an idea of what's involved with ...
|WORLD Pope Francis, non-binary minor, athlete dies at 35, Taiwan 2023-01-29|
- Pope Francis made headlines when he told the Associated Press on Jan. 24 that "being homosexual is not a crime," although he also described being gay as sinful, Gay City News noted. The pontiff called on ...
|Equality Illinois responds to violence, murder of Black and Brown trans people on the south side 2023-01-25|
--From a press release - Statement by Myles Brady Davis, Director of Communications at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the violences and murders of Black and Brown trans people on the south side of Chicago: ...
|NATIONAL Calif. bills, DeSantis, HIV vaccine, Meta, college items 2023-01-22|
- Buried within the bills California legislators filed after Gov. Gavin Newsom released his budget proposal for the 2023-2024 fiscal year is a line seeking to retrieve $13 million back from the state's Transgender Wellness and Equity ...
|Theater Review: tick, tick...BOOM! 2023-01-19|
- One of the wonders of live theater is that old works can be revived and reinterpreted to respond to changes in culture and society. Often a new directorial approach can make tried-and-true material feel fresh and ...
|GLAAD announces nominees for 34th Annual GLAAD Media Awards 2023-01-18|
--From a press release. Video below - Jan. 18, 2023 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the nominees for the 34th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. ...
|NATIONAL Asylum-seekers, equality updates, cannabis, HIV and COVID 2023-01-15|
- Advocacy groups that specifically work with LGBTQI+ asylum-seekers and migrants criticized the Biden administration's expansion of the use of "expedited removal" of Cubans, Nicaraguans, Haitians and Venezuelans who enter the ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|NATIONAL Democrats and trans issues, political wins, gay bars, HIV drug 2023-01-08|
- Republicans and Democrats differ widely in their views on gender identity and transgender issuesbut there are notable differences among Democrats, too, especially by race and ethnicity, according to Pew Research. Overall, 60% of U.S. adults say ...
|Brave Space Alliance to Illinois General Assembly: Don't back down on trans protections 2023-01-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL - January 4, 2023 - Brave Space Alliance (BSA), the South Side LGBTQ+ Center, has been made aware of active discussions to exclude protections for trans people and gender-affirming care from pending legislation that ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|In memoriam: LGBTQ community obituaries 2022 2022-12-27|
- The LGBTQ community lost many members in 2022, including at least 35 people in incidents of hate violence against individual transgender people and against patrons of the Club Q bar in Colorado. Here are other memorable ...
|WORLD Scottish pro-trans law, Ukrainian bill, trans activist, Olympics 2022-12-24|
- On Dec. 22, Scotland's parliament approved disputed reforms that make it easier for trans people to change their legal gender, including removing the need for a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria and lowering the minimum age ...
|NATIONAL Office vandalized, George Santos, HRC official dies at 24, law students 2022-12-24|
- Protestors vandalized an openly gay New York City Council member's office and entered his apartment building, The Advocate reported. Erik Bottcher—whose district includes Greenwich Village, Chelse and Hell's Kitchen, among ...
|Life Is Work, Brave Space Alliance to distribute Grubhub gift cards 2022-12-21|
- Life Is Work (LIW)—a Black and Brown trans-led social services and advocacy organization on Chicago's West Side—is collaborating with community partner and South Side trans- and Black-led organization Brave Space ...