||Kate Millett, Dorothy Allison At U of C Feminism Confab
This article shared 2805 times since Mon Mar 1, 2004
Feminism has rethought and transformed almost every area of modern life. On Saturday, Feb. 28, writers, scholars and activists who defined its past and those who are creating its future will come together at Back to the Future: Generations of Feminism, to rethink feminism's history and goals. The conference, sponsored by the University of Chicago's Center for Gender Studies, will run the gamut from bestsellers and activists to deconstructionists. It will include writers like Kate Millett, Michele Faith Wallace and Dorothy Allison, whose books stirred controversy and brought feminism's goals to the public from the '70s through the '90s, as well as scholars like Gayatri Spivak, who helped create Post-Colonial studies.
This article shared 2805 times since Mon Mar 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Laverne Cox, lesbian coach, Jim Parsons, 'Brokeback,' theater items 2021-01-11|
- Laverne Cox is teaming with Meryl Streep and Rashida Jones to executive-produce a new documentary exploring one of the most critical issues at the intersection of race, feminism, and power: the sex industry, out.com noted. Sell/Buy/Date ...
|Panel talks lesbians, feminism in Chicago during the '70s and '80s 2020-02-19|
Extended for the online edition of Windy City Times - Lesbians and Feminism in Chicago in the 1970s and '80s was the focus of a panel discussion Feb. 12 at Gerber/Hart Library and Archives (Gerber/Hart). The event took place in conjunction with Gerber/Hart's current exhibit, "Lavender ...
|Funny Feminism: Podcast "The Guilty Feminist" comes to Chicago 2020-01-03|
- Deborah Frances-White knew there was humor to be mined from her bungled attempts to be a good feminist. Which is why the U.K.-based Australian comedian/writer/producer co-created the comedy podcast The ...
|Young feminists to converge Nov. 9 2019-11-06|
- Hundreds of high school and college-aged young women will meet in Chicago on Saturday, Nov. 9, to explore topics of intersectional feminism, empowerment and activism with speakers (such as Eva Maria Lewis, founder of the I ...
lesbian history exhibit 2019-10-15|
- Gerber/Hart History & Archives launched a new exhibit, "Lavender Women & Killer Dykes: Lesbians, Feminism & Community in Chicago," with a reception and brief talk the evening of Oct. 12. Curated by Jen Dentel, Isabel Singer, ...
|Johnson/Nash book release party Jan. 31 2019-01-16|
- A joint book release celebrating E. Patrick Johnson's Black. Queer. Southern. Women: An Oral History and Jennifer Nash's Black Feminism Reimagined: After Intersectionality will take place Thursday, Jan. 31, at Women & Children First, 5233 N. ...
|Feminism meets coffee-table books in 'HERstory,' 'Revolution' 2018-11-28|
- The Revolution is Female Author: Kristen Blush. $61; Blush; 128 pages Modern HERstory Author: Blair Imani, $17.99; Ten Speed Press; 208 pages What does Trump's America mean for feminism? For one, the rise of activism among ...
|Intersectional feminism meets coffee table books in 'HERstory,' 'Revolution'
- The Revolution is Female Author: Kristen Blush. $61; Blush; 128 pages Modern HERstory Author: Blair Imani. $17.99; Ten Speed Press; 208 pages What does Trump's America mean for feminism? For one, the rise of activism among ...
|Funding Feminism Author Johnson Book Lecture and Signing Oct. 23 2018-10-08|
- Author Joan Marie Johnson will conduct a book lecture and signing, co-sponsored by The Chicago Women's History Center, at 6 p.m. on Oct. 23 at The Newberry Library, 60 W. Walton St., Chicago. In her book ...
|Professor speaks on 'Black Feminisms and the Mutability of Gender' 2018-02-27|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Cornell University Associate Professor of Africana Studies C. Riley Snorton kicked off the University of Chicago's (UChicago's) Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality (CSGS ) speaker series with ...
|Catholics launch initiative to celebrate feminism, activism, faith 2018-01-10|
From a press release - New York, NY and global locations: Inspired by the global women's marches one year ago, and aware that the Roman Catholic Church and religious institutions around the world are in dire need of an infusion of ...
|SCOTTISH PLAY SCOTT Firebrand feminism with 'Lizzie' 2017-11-08|
- Timing can be everything, even if it's unintentional. That's what the new Firebrand Theatre in Chicago lucked out on last year when its founding members announced their mission to create the world's first feminist musical theater ...
|PASSAGES Pioneering author, second-wave feminist Kate Millett dies 2017-09-08|
- Feminist, activist, author and multidisciplinary artist Kate Millett passed away in Paris Sept. 6, 2017. Millett is perhaps best known for her 1970 book Sexual Politics, which catapulted her into the leading tiers of second-wave feminism. ...
|COMEDY Kate Willett talks about heart of 'Glass' 2017-06-13|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Kate Willett's debut comedy album, Glass Gutter, covers topics ranging from feminism to conspiracy theories to polyamorous clowns. Among many other accomplishments, Willett has toured with Margaret Cho, been featured on "This is Not Happening" on ...
|Women's History Month coming to Women and Children First Books 2017-02-28|
From a press release - Women's History Month at Women and Children First Books will feature Donna Seaman, Roxane Gay, Here We Art: Feminism for the Real World, and "An Illicit History of Women and Bartending." Tuesday, February 28 at 7:30 ...