WINDY CITY TIMES
||Judge finalizes new trans birth certificate rule
by Kate Sosin, Windy City Times
This article shared 3792 times since Wed Oct 24, 2012
A Cook County Judge has approved a court agreement that will allow transgender people to change their Illinois birth certificates without undergoing genital surgery. Judge Michael Hyman has approved the new rule, previously reported by Windy City Times in July: www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Agreement-on-Illinois-birth-certificate-change-for-trans-people/38827.html .
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Illinois sued the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) on behalf of three trans people last year, after the three were told they would need to show proof of genital surgery in order to change the gender markers on their birth certificates.
IDPH released new rules on the policy and granted plaintiffs Lauren Grey, Victor Williams and Nicholas Guarino new birth certificates.
John Knight of the ACLU said the court order prevents IDPH from going back on its word. ACLU sued IDPH previously over the same issue but the settlement did not yield a change in practice.
"It is critical that our clients and others are able to get birth certificates that accurately reflect who they are without being required to undergo costly surgery that they may not want or need," said Knight in a statement. The State never should have involved itself in these private decisions about medical care."
The new policy, while not mandating genital surgery specifically, does require some form of transition-related surgery, a sticking point for many activists, who have advocated against a surgical mandate in the policy.
Many trans people cannot afford or do not want transition-related surgeries, a fact trans activists have argued throughout the case.
Knight said that while the final agreement is an important first step, ACLU will likely push for a better rule.
"I think we will look at a way to either persuade the legislature or go back to court at some point, asking that the surgical requirement be removed completely," Knight said.
This article shared 3792 times since Wed Oct 24, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Equality Illinois responds to violence, murder of Black and Brown trans people on the south side 2023-01-25|
--From a press release - Statement by Myles Brady Davis, Director of Communications at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the violences and murders of Black and Brown trans people on the south side of Chicago: ...
|NATIONAL Calif. bills, DeSantis, HIV vaccine, Meta, college items 2023-01-22|
- Buried within the bills California legislators filed after Gov. Gavin Newsom released his budget proposal for the 2023-2024 fiscal year is a line seeking to retrieve $13 million back from the state's Transgender Wellness and Equity ...
|Theater Review: tick, tick...BOOM! 2023-01-19|
- One of the wonders of live theater is that old works can be revived and reinterpreted to respond to changes in culture and society. Often a new directorial approach can make tried-and-true material feel fresh and ...
|GLAAD announces nominees for 34th Annual GLAAD Media Award 2023-01-18|
--From a press release. Video below - Jan. 18, 2023 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the nominees for the 34th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. ...
|NATIONAL Asylum-seekers, equality updates, cannabis, HIV and COVID 2023-01-15|
- Advocacy groups that specifically work with LGBTQI+ asylum-seekers and migrants criticized the Biden administration's expansion of the use of "expedited removal" of Cubans, Nicaraguans, Haitians and Venezuelans who enter the ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|NATIONAL Democrats and trans issues, political wins, gay bars, HIV drug 2023-01-08|
- Republicans and Democrats differ widely in their views on gender identity and transgender issuesbut there are notable differences among Democrats, too, especially by race and ethnicity, according to Pew Research. Overall, 60% of U.S. adults say ...
|Brave Space Alliance to Illinois General Assembly: Don't back down on trans protections 2023-01-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL - January 4, 2023 - Brave Space Alliance (BSA), the South Side LGBTQ+ Center, has been made aware of active discussions to exclude protections for trans people and gender-affirming care from pending legislation that ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|In memoriam: LGBTQ community obituaries 2022 2022-12-27|
- The LGBTQ community lost many members in 2022, including at least 35 people in incidents of hate violence against individual transgender people and against patrons of the Club Q bar in Colorado. Here are other memorable ...
|WORLD Scottish pro-trans law, Ukrainian bill, trans activist, Olympics 2022-12-24|
- On Dec. 22, Scotland's parliament approved disputed reforms that make it easier for trans people to change their legal gender, including removing the need for a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria and lowering the minimum age ...
|NATIONAL Office vandalized, George Santos, HRC official dies at 24, law students 2022-12-24|
- Protestors vandalized an openly gay New York City Council member's office and entered his apartment building, The Advocate reported. Erik Bottcher—whose district includes Greenwich Village, Chelse and Hell's Kitchen, among ...
|Life Is Work, Brave Space Alliance to distribute Grubhub gift cards 2022-12-21|
- Life Is Work (LIW)—a Black and Brown trans-led social services and advocacy organization on Chicago's West Side—is collaborating with community partner and South Side trans- and Black-led organization Brave Space ...
|NATIONAL Testifying in D.C., Brittney Griner, marriage law, school policies 2022-12-18|
- WARNING: This week's news contains graphic content. Survivors of the Club Q shooting in Colorado Springs that killed five people and injured approximately 20 others joined GLAAD and other advocates in providing testimony before the House ...
|WORLD Ghana funding, Latvia measure, Russia items, trans princess 2022-12-18|
- Some Western governments who pledged to support LGBTQI+ rights have also funded supporters of a controversial bill in Ghana that could introduce harsh sentences for advocating for sexual and gender minorities' rights, CNN reported. In the ...