WINDY CITY TIMES
||'It Gets Better' with Tamale and more at Guild Complex
From a news release
This article shared 2955 times since Fri Feb 21, 2014
\Chicago Guild Literary Complex ( the Guild ) continues its mission bringing diverse, divergent, emergingand very, very funnyvoices to the fore in its upcoming event: Applied Words: It Gets Better. Taking place on Tuesday, March 11, It Gets Better is the first of four comedy-based Applied Words series, and will take place at Schubas Tavern at 7:30 p.m. The event is free, and open to the public ages 21 and up.
Addressing themes of history, mythology, gender, and high school, It Gets Better is a collaboration with Applied Face Theatre and is being presented in connection to their spring production of Silk Road Rising's Brahman/i: A One-Hijra Stand-Up Comedy Show by Aditi Brennan Kapil. The reading is hosted and curated by comedienne Tamale, and features four prominent Chicago Live-Lit readers: Lily Be, Jill Howe, Greg Ledger, and Precious.
"As we look back at who we thought we were, who we were striving to be, and the person we have ultimately become, so much can be learned. In moments like this, we are invited to confront the standards we held ourselves to, the ways in which we fell short or maybe even brilliantly succeeded. It Gets Better is a curated show that explores pivotal moments that shaped how we came to view ourselves for years to come," states Tamale.
Applied Words: It Gets Better
Tuesday, March 11, 7:30 p.m.
Schubas Tavern, 3159 N. Southport Ave.
More information can be found at guildcomplex.org .
This article shared 2955 times since Fri Feb 21, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NIH LGBTQ+ webinar to be presented June 9 2022-05-23|
- On Thursday, June 9, 1-2:30 p.m. CT, the NIH Sexual & Gender Minority Research Office will host a special Pride edition of the Scientific Webinar Series to spotlight the recently released National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, ...
|NATIONAL Idaho groups, Clay Aiken, Radio Milwaukee, Louisville school 2022-05-22|
- In northern Idaho, two groups with different agendas plan to hold events on the same day (June 11) at Coeur d'Alene City Parkand both organizations have issued statements, according to the Bonner County Daily Bee. The ...
|For International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, Biphobia HRC highlights grants 2022-05-17|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, is commemorating International Day Against ...
|GLSEN holds Respect Awards in New York 2022-05-17|
- On May 16, the pro-LGBTQ+ education organization GLSEN held its New York Respect Awards in Gotham Hall. At its first in-person Respect Awards in three years, the organization introduced new Executive Director Melanie Willingham-Jaggers in their ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|Nat'l Association of Black and White Men Together to hold July 6-9 conference 2022-05-14|
- The National Association of Black and White Men Togetherdescribed on its website as "a gay multicultural, anti-racism organization committed to fostering supportive environments wherein racial and cultural barriers can be ...
|Report: Malta is the best European country regarding LGBTQ+ rights 2022-05-14|
- An annual report courtesy of ILGA-Europe stated that Malta remains the best country in Europe for LGBTQ+ rights, Euronews noted. The association said that Malta (which scored 92 out of a possible 100) has maintained the ...
|Highwood Pride Fest taking place June 4 2022-05-12|
- The North Shore suburb of Highwood will hold its Pride Fest on Saturday, June 4. The full day of activities starts with a "Pride Rocks" family picnic at Everts Park at noon-3 p.m., followed by the (21+ ...
|Plaque unveiled in NYC to honor headquarters of NAACP, other progressive groups 2022-05-12|
- On May 11, Village Preservation and The New School were joined by historians David Levering Lewis, Amy Aronson, Brian McGrath and Stephen Brier for the unveiling of a plaque marking 70 Fifth Ave. as the historic ...
|LGBTQ Religious Archives Network holds 'AIDS, Activism and American Christianity' webinar 2022-05-12|
- LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) held an "AIDS, Activism and American Christianity: A Conversation" virtual webinar on May 5. The event focused on Christian activism during the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1980s and ...
|U.S. Senate Republicans and one Democrat block abortion-protection bill 2022-05-11|
- On May 11, the U.S. Senate failed to advance a Democrat-led bill that would enshrine broad protections for legal abortion nationwidea vote triggered by a leaked Supreme Court draft opinion that indicates Roe v. Wade will ...
|HRC calls for passage of the Women's Health Protection Act 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, joined a growing number of organizations calling for the ...
|Deadline for Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame nominations is May 31 2022-05-10|
- The deadline to nominate individuals, businesses, organizations, and allies to the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame is on May 31 at midnight. Nominations may be made online at www.chicagolgbthalloffame.org/nominate. The goal is to honor people and ...
|Running squad 'Team to End AIDS' calls for participants to raise funds 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Over the last 19 years, TEAM TO ENDS AIDS (T2)—the only HIV charity fundraising marathon team in the Midwest—has raised more than $13 million for HIV/AIDS awareness and direct support for those living with ...