WINDY CITY TIMES
||Inventing Van Gogh
by Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 2894 times since Wed Aug 14, 2013
Playwright: Steven Dietz. At: Strange Bedfellows Theatre at City Lit in Edgewater Presbyterian Church, 1020 W. Bryn Mawr Ave. Tickets: 773-340-2038; www.strangebedfellowstheatre.com; $20. Runs through: Aug. 24
Three years before the start of our story, art professor Jonas Miller set out in search of Vincent Van Gogh's last self-portrait, a mythical "lost" work whose discovery the scholar hopes to accomplish by re-tracing his subject's footsteps with a devotion that may have spurred him to commit suicide in imitation of his quarry. Our story, itself, begins in the studio of Patrick Stone, whose inspiration has stalled under the loss of his mentor and the estrangement of the latter's daughter. Setting the plot in motion is a crooked art authenticator seeking a hungry young painter to fabricate what he will then sell as the legendary canvas. Soon Patrick's workplace is buzzing with activityalong with the ghosts of Vincent Van and HIS troublesome acquaintances.
Certain artistsCaravaggio, Bosch, Toulouse-Lautrecseem always to have an intoxicating effect on writers proposing to delve the mystery of their creative impulse. The most incendiary of them all, though, is the linseed-slinging Netherlander whose manic genius fuels romantic imaginations to this day. Playwright Steven Dietz may attempt to frame his topic in provocative McGuffins, but this only grounds the action for a short while. Soon Patrick finds himself playing host to furious debates between the sensitive Vincent and boorish Paul Gaugin, not to mention a bevy of quarrelsome sponsors and sweethearts, all catapulting us through time at a velocity to induce vertigo in the most ardent Tom Stoppard fan.
Well, why write about antic visionaries, if not to go a little mad? Director Aaron Henrickson never leaves us to wander alone and confused amid Dietz' historical polemics, nor does his valiant cast, led by Patrick Cameron and Riley McIlveen as brothers-of-the-brush whose ideals span continents and centuries as they struggle to lend form to the fleeting formless, while retaining their integrity in the face of mercenary corruption. Indeed, as the reluctant impostor embraces his missionnot for the money, but to fulfill his teacher's lifelong questhe extends his spiritual kinsman what comfort he can from his 21st-century vantage, even as he also contrives to foil his patron's fraudulent plan.
Introducing us to our dramatic universe are a number of artists (names listed in the playbill), invited by the Strange Bedfellows to set up their easels outside the auditorium and exercise their craft in real time over the evening's duration. Thus are we immersed in an environment teeming with inventive actualizationheady stuff, that artistic impulse.
This article shared 2894 times since Wed Aug 14, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Nelson Rodriguez talks boxing, queerness and his very personal play 2023-12-03|
- On Saturday, Dec. 9 at the Chicago Cultural Center, there will be a reading of New Personalidada play by actor, playwright and former Windy City Times 30 Under 30 honoree Nelson Rodriguez. The program, part of ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bodyshop,' Beyonce, Ani DiFranco, Billie Jean King 2023-12-01|
- The Breaking Glass Pictures film Bodyshop will be out on digital on Dec. 5, per a press release. The plot is described thusly: "The ghost of a young soldier sexually assaulted by his lieutenant says goodbye ...
|PERFORMANCE Teatro Zinzanni's Carisa Hendrix talks magic, queerness and Canada 2023-11-28|
- One could call Teatro Zinzanni's newest production, "Love, Chaos, and Dinner," a meal and a show—but that would definitely shortchange this ongoing extravaganza. Taking place at the Loop's Cambria Hotel, there is not a bad seat ...
|'Sleeping with Beauty' serves up naughty holiday laughs 2023-11-27|
- Seasonal British pantomimes have been securing the talents of such known performers as Henry Winkler, George Takei and Sir Ian McKellen for decades now. This inventive recounting of fairy tales, utilizing popular song, comedy and rowdy ...
|Jerry Mitchell bops into Boop! 2023-11-27|
- Director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell is bringing black-and-white Boop! The Betty Boop Musical into a world of color at the CIBC Theatre this winter. It's a pre-Broadway world premiere for the musical starring Jasmine Amy Rogers ...
|Hell in a Handbag to present 'Peep Show: The Handbag 2023 Benefit'on Dec. 10 2023-11-25|
--From a press release - CHICAGOHell in a Handbag Productions will present its 2023 benefit: Peep Showa peep through the curtains at the company's 2024 seasonon Sunday, Dec. 10, 11:30 a.m. — 3:30 p.m. at The Center on Halsted's The Hoover-Leppen ...
|Sarah Siddons to produce 'Noor Inayat Khan: The Forgotten Spy' 2023-11-22|
- In a first for the 71-year-old Sarah Siddons Society, it will produce a one-night performance of Noor Inayat Khan: The Forgotten Spy—a new one-woman play written and performed by Almanya Narula, a 2016 Siddons Scholarship recipient ...
|YEPP 'rises' to occasion at fall fundraiser 2023-11-20|
- Members and guests of Youth Empowerment Performance Project (YEPP) gathered Nov. 17 at Chicago Theater Works, 1113 W. Belmont Ave., for the organization's fall fundraiser, Rise Up: Our Celebration of Resistance. The evening marked both the ...
|WORLD Latvia, nonbinary magistrate, Gay Games end, Israel soldiers 2023-11-17|
- Latvia's parliament voted to allow same-sex couples to establish civil unions, Reuters reported. Said couples now have legal recognitionbut fewer rights than married couples. The new legislation, slated to take effect in the middle of next ...
|THEATER Queer actor Chloe Baldwin talks 'POTUS,' identity and Shakespeare 2023-11-15|
- In the Steppenwolf farce POTUS: Or, Behind Every Great Dumbass Are Seven Women Trying to Keep Him Alive, queer actor Chloe Baldwin portrays the president's mistress Dusty, acting alongside a formidable group that includes Caroline Neff ...
|'Jersey Boys' stars reunite as Midtown Men on Dec. 2 in Glen Ellyn 2023-11-14|
- The original stars of the Broadway hit Jersey BoysChristian Hoff, Michael Longoria, Daniel Reichard and J. Robert Spencerwill reunite as Midtown Men on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 7:30 p.m. at McAninch Arts Center's Belushi Performance Hall ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions presents world premiere of The Golden Girls Save Xmas, A Lost Episodes Parody 2023-11-12|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (November 10, 2023) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to kick off its 2023/24 season this November with The Golden Girls Save Xmas — A Lost Episodes Parody, featuring an all-new holiday tale ...
|SHOWBIZ Kaytranada, NFL star, Alexandra Billings, video game, George Michael 2023-11-10|
- Out Montreal DJ/producer Kaytranada teased his latest single, "Out of Luck," with Mariah the Scientist, on Twitter, Complex noted. "THIS IS THE ANTHEM!" Kaytra wrote in his quote-tweet of the song playing at a release party. ...
|Charles Busch dishes on life as a storyteller 2023-11-09|
- Performer/writer Charles Busch, who recently penned his autobiography, Leading Lady: A Memoir of a Most Unusual Boy, said that collecting his most precious and salient memories in a book felt "inevitable." "Storytelling is such an essential ...
|Black Excellence Awards winners named, inaugural Chicago Black Arts Hall of Fame inductees honored 2023-11-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov. 7, 2023)—The nonprofit Black Arts & Culture Alliance of Chicago is proud to announce the winners of its 23rd Annual Black Excellence Awards, honored last night in a festive celebration at Black Ensemble Theater. ...