||Intersex Awareness Day
by Lynnell Stephani Long
This article shared 7597 times since Sun Feb 1, 2004
It appears I may finally be on the right track when it comes to educating the LGBTI community about Intersexuality without making some people defensive or confused. After my last article, published several months ago, I received a lot of praise for being effective in educating on Intersex. I had to ask myself was it my method of educating that had improved or my determination to reach people of color? The answer is simple; I am determined to educate people of color on Intersex issues.
There are a lot of different organizations that have taken on the responsibility of educating John Q. Public on Intersexuality. But sometimes the methods used to educate white America aren't helpful to people of color. I refuse to assume that people of color have come to accept that a baby born Intersex should not be turned over to doctors to be 'fixed.' I know for a fact that if you ask 10 whites and 10 people of color what is Intersex most white people will give the correct answer, while most people of color are clueless. Could it be the term that is used, Intersex? Is the term Intersex intimidating, or does it sound a little too freaky for people of color?
Let me tell you, the term Intersex is a term that the Intersex community has come to accept rather than the term Hermaphrodite. When someone hears the term Hermaphrodite they automatically assume that the person has to be born with both sex organs, a penis and a vagina, which is rarely the case. While the term Intersex is more inclusive. Intersexuality is a set of medical conditions that features a congenital anomaly of the reproductive and sexual system. A person with an intersex condition is born with sex chromosomes, external genitalia, or an internal reproductive system that is not considered 'standard' for either male or female. To break it down further, that means that a person does not have to be born with both a vagina and penis to be Intersex (Hermaphrodite).
In the year 2004, Intersex Activists and organizations across the globe are coming together to form the first 'Intersex Awareness Day' (see the Web site www.intersex-awareness-day.org/modules/newbb/). While I think this is a fantastic idea, I also feel that if something isn't done to educate and encourage more people of color to come out I may be one of the few Intersex women of color from the Midwest to participate. Given the fact that 1/2000 babies born are born Intersex, and that there are at least 2-1/2 million people of color in Illinois, I know for a fact that I am not alone.
The 'Intersex Awareness Day' will hopefully turn out to be an annual event of grassroots action to end shame, secrecy and unwanted genital cosmetic surgeries on Intersex children! We are hoping to create a 'day of action' similar to Take Back the Night, National Coming Out Day, or International Women's Day in that it will focus on grassroots action organized by local activists. The event will be national—perhaps even international in scope—but will be marked, celebrated, witnessed, and honored in different ways by diverse groups at a local level. The question is, how much diversity will there be if there are very few people of color in attendance?
I will be working with other activists and allies in and around the Chicago area to help make 'Intersex Awareness Day' in Chicago a great success. See www.isna.org, or www.intersex-awareness-day.org/modules/newbb/. If you don't have a computer go to the public library where you can surf the internet for free! While you are there feel free to email me at email@example.com .
This article shared 7597 times since Sun Feb 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|New Biden administration materials clarify Title IX protects intersex students 2021-06-24|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. Commemorating the 49th anniversary of Title IX, the US Department of Education (ED) and Department of Justice (DOJ) yesterday released two new resources clarifying the scope and ...
|WORLD Dutch apology, Swiss gov't, Victory Institute, 'Queer Japan' 2020-12-07|
- The Dutch government issued a formal apology to transgender and intersex citizens who were required to undergo sterilization surgeries to legally change their gender and agreed to compensate some of those who underwent the procedures, The ...
|NATIONAL Texas board, intersex portfolio, hate crimes, beauty queen dies
- A Texas regulatory board reinstated protections that bar social workers from refusing services to LGBTQ people and people with disabilities, NBC News reported. The Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, or BHEC, on Tuesday unanimously reversed an ...
|NATIONAL Autistic trans guide, trans death, AIDS Quilt, intersex study 2020-10-19|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force and the AWNNetwork released a collaborative guide, "Before You Go: Know Your Rights & What to Expect at the Doctor and in the Hospital"a groundbreaking first-of-its-kind publication filled with tips and ...
|Lurie announces overhaul of pediatric intersex surgery policies 2020-07-29|
- Ann & Robert Lurie Children's Hospital announced July 28 that it will no longer perform irreversible genital surgical procedures on intersex patients until patients can participate in making the decision. The surgeries have long been controversial, ...
|Idaho anti-trans law challenged 2020-04-15|
- A lawsuit was filed April 15 challenging Idaho's recently passed law that bans women and girls who are transgender as well as many women and girls who are intersex from participating in school sports, according to ...
|WORLD Canada and COVID-19, Indonesia incident, Panama policy 2020-04-14|
- The organization Egale, partnering with INNOVATIVE Research Group, presented a timeline that shows the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on Canada's LGBTQI2S (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex and two-spirit) ...
|WORLD Kazakhstan first, HIV news, intersex items, Chick-fil-A 2019-09-10|
- A controversial case that took a year and a half for Kazakhstan's court system to hear has turned out to be the first legal victory for LGBTIQ rights in Kazakhstan, ILGA-Europe.org reported. In January 2018, two ...
|WORLD Intersex survey, Russian activist, Polish publication 2019-07-30|
- Kenya will, for the first time, collect data on intersex people in its national population census, in a major victory for rights activists, the BBC reported. The August survey will determine the number of citizens who ...
|DignityUSA reponds to Archbishop denying school "Catholic" label 2019-06-21|
- Boston, MA. June 21, 2019. Leaders of DignityUSA, the world's oldest organization of Catholics supporting equality and full inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) Catholics in the church ...
|NATIONAL Murder suspect, intersex passport, GLSEN awards 2019-05-28|
- In Tennessee, officials have made an arrest in the murder of Daniel Shields last July, NewsChannel5.com reported. Gerry Weatherby was charged with first-degree murder and especially aggravated kidnapping for the homicide of Shields, a bartender at ...
|Cook County Commissioner Condemns Administration's Treatment of Trans, GNC, Intersex 2019-02-21|
- Cook County Commissioner Kevin B. Morrison today passed a resolution to condemn the Trump Administration's Treatment of Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming, and Intersex Individuals. A public hearing was held on Tuesday, February 19 ...
|WORLD Trans Thai PM candidate, anti-LGBT attacks, intersex ruling 2019-02-20|
- Pauline Ngarmpringwho has been a CEO and sports promoteris pursuing a bid to become Thailand's first transgender prime minister, Bendigo Advertiser reported. She says she wants her nomination to bring hope to the marginalized and to ...
|Intersex-rights activists stage train 'takeover' 2018-10-30|
- About 25 activists observed Intersex Awareness Day Oct. 26 with a protest on Chicago Transit Authority trains, calling attention to a local hospital's performing of what they say are medically unnecessary surgeries on intersex youngsters. Many ...