WINDY CITY TIMES
||Indiana lawmakers to discuss abortion, other issues
This article shared 770 times since Mon Jul 25, 2022
On Monday, July 25, Indiana legislators will meet at the Statehouse for a special session on increasing abortion restrictions in the state, among other issues, according to NPR.
If the ban takes place, Indiana would join about a dozen other states that have banned abortion with very few exceptions.
Vice President Kamala Harris is headed to Indianapolis to meet with some of those lawmakers on reproductive rights amid the debate, but the special session could run for a few weeks.
There's been enormous focus on the state and abortion over the last couple of weeks, in part because of a 10-year-old Ohio rape victim who got an abortion in the state. (Abortions after six weeks are illegal in Ohio.)
The physician who provided the abortion, Dr. Caitlin Bernard, is taking a key step toward a possible defamation lawsuit against Indiana's Republican attorney general, Todd Rokita, the outlet stated in a separate article. In a letter sent to Rokita and other Indiana state officials, Bernard's attorney says she believes her client has suffered harm as a result of Rokita's recent public statements about Bernard and her work as an abortion provider after she spoke publicly about caring for the 10-year-old patient. "He is wrongly accusing her of misconduct in her profession, so we want that smear campaign to stop," attorney Kathleen DeLaney said.
This article shared 770 times since Mon Jul 25, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago LGBTQ activists respond to 303 Creative SCOTUS case 2022-12-09|
- In response to opening arguments being heard in the United States Supreme Court case 303 Creative, LLC v. Elenis, activists from Affinity Community Services, Chicago for Abortion Rights, National Organization for Women and the Gay Liberation ...
|NATIONAL $1M donation, church departures, Harvey Milk, abortions, Grindr 2022-11-27|
- In Ohio, Dayton-based insurance company CareSource is donating $1 million to United Church Homes to support the development of a senior living facility at the site of the former Longfellow School that will also aim at ...
|National Day of Action reproductive-rights rally set for Oct. 8 2022-10-04|
- In Chicago, a broad group of more than 40 organizationsincluding a who's who of reproductive-justice groupsis organizing a rally in solidarity with a National Day of Action to defend and expand access to safe and legal ...
|Indiana judge blocks state's abortion ban 2022-09-23|
- On Sept. 22, an Indiana judge blocked the state's abortion ban, putting the new law on hold as abortion-clinic operators argue that it violates the state constitution, NPR reported. Owen County Judge Kelsey Hanlon issued a ...
|Indiana abortion law goes into effect; PPIL expands services 2022-09-15|
- Sept. 15 marks the day that Indiana's near-total ban on abortion takes effect, according to IndyStar. Gov. Eric Holcomb signed the new policy into law in early August after the Indiana General Assembly passed the measure ...
|Lindsey Graham proposes national abortion bill 2022-09-14|
- On Sept 13, U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) introduced a measure that would ban abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy. It's the most significant proposal by Republicans in Congress to curtail the procedure since the ...
|Michigan judge invalidates 1931 abortion ban 2022-09-08|
- On Sept. 7, a Michigan Court of Claims judge ruled that the state's 1931 abortion ban violates the state constitution, Yahoo! reported, based on a copy of the ruling that ABC News obtained. The ruling permanently ...
|Lightfoot, CDPH announce delegate agencies for 'Justice for All' initiative 2022-09-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) announced that the Chicago Abortion Fund and Planned Parenthood of Illinois have been selected as the two delegate agencies for the city's ...
|Lake View church vandalized over pro-abortion stance 2022-08-26|
- A Lakeview church was vandalized Aug. 24 by two women who appeared to be upset by its sign backing reproductive rights, Block Club Chicago reported. Second Unitarian Church of Chicago, 656 W. Barry Ave., put up ...
|Court blocks Idaho abortion ban regarding emergencies 2022-08-25|
- On Aug. 25, a U.S. district court granted a Biden Administration request by temporarily blocking Idaho's ban on abortion in situations where the ban conflicts with federal standards for emergency care, CNN reported. ...
|Indiana Gov. Holcomb signs bill banning most abortions 2022-08-06|
- Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb has signed a bill that would ban most abortionsmaking it the first state to pass a restrictive law against the procedure since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade earlier this ...
|Bailey faces backlash after abortion/Holocaust comment 2022-08-03|
- Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate Darren Bailey is facing backlash after footage from 2017 showed him comparing abortion to the Holocaust, according to NBC Chicago. "The attempted extermination of the Jews of World War II doesn't even ...
|Voters preserve abortion rights in red state Kansas 2022-08-03|
- In the first abortion-related election since the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, Kansas voters have rejected a proposed constitutional amendment that would have specified that the right to terminate a pregnancy is not protected, ...
|Showrunners send abortion-protection letters to Hollywood execs 2022-08-02|
- Recently, more than 400 TV creators and showrunnersall of them women (including Shonda Rhimes, Issa Rae, Amy Sherman-Palladino, Natasha Lyonne and Ava DuVernay)sent letters to top executives at Hollywood studios ...
|UpRising Bakery cancels more events; Indiana passes severe abortion ban 2022-07-31|
- There have more setbacks for the LGBTQ+-owned UpRising Bakery and Cafe, where damage still remains after the Lake in the Hills establishment was vandalized last weekend with hate messages, ABC 7 Chicago reported. Owner Corinna Sac ...