WINDY CITY TIMES
||Indiana gay-rights measure killed
This article shared 1955 times since Tue Feb 2, 2016
In Indiana, Senate Bill 344the so-called "LGB, no T" bill because it did not provide protections for the transgender communitydied in the state Senate on Feb. 2 without a vote, WISHTV.com reported.
The Indiana Senate Rules and Legislative Procedure Committee had previously passed the bill.
The author of the bill, Sen. Travis Holdman ( R-Markle ) refused to permit amendments when his name was calledeffectively killing the bill for this session. Republicans would not vote for a measure that includes trans people, and Democrats refrained from backing a bill that excluded the same demographic.
"Senate Bill 344 provides such a broad license to discriminate based on religion that it is nothing short of a Super RFRA," Camilla Taylor, counsel in the Midwest Regional Office of Lambda Legal, said in a statement when SB344 passed out of committee. "This bill also does not even pretend to protect transgender Hoosiers, excluding them entirely, which is completely unacceptable.
The ACLU of Indianawhich was hoping the bill would stay alive long enough to add trans-related protectionscalled the measure's death "extremely disappointing" in a statment "Lawmakers left this crucial issue [of equal protection for LGBT people] unanswered despite our tireless efforts to help fix the deeply flawed legislation, and despite strong support across the state from faith leaders, business leaders and public officials interested in moving Indiana forward," Executive Director Jane Henegar said.
Senate Bill 66a so-called "Super RFRA ( Religious Freedom Restoration Act )" billwas stopped Jan. 27, IndyStar.com reported.
The article is at wishtv.com/2016/02/02/lgb-no-t-bill-dies-in-indiana-senate/ .
This article shared 1955 times since Tue Feb 2, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Mayoral candidate forum centers BIPOC LGBTQ+ issues, Vallas declines to participate 2023-03-23|
- Chicago mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson participated in a March 22 virtual LGBTQ+-focused forum co-hosted by Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago ...
|Utah bans conversion therapy 2023-03-23|
- On March 22, Republican Utah Gov. Spencer Cox signed a bill that bans licensed professionals from practicing conversion therapythe discredited practice that attempts to turn LGBTQ+ people heterosexualon minors, Q ...
|ELECTIONS 2023 Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson discusses religion, LGBTQ+ issues, holistic approach 2023-03-22|
- Chicago mayoral candidates Brandon Johnson and Paul Vallas seem to have little in common. Johnson, a Cook County commissioner, has embraced a more progressive platform that employs everything from a more holistic approach to crime to ...
|More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ leaders endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor of Chicago 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ community leaders are united in their support for Brandon Johnson for Mayor in Chicago's runoff election, representing the city's business, philanthropic, academic, civic ...
|N.Y. attorney general hosts Drag Story Hour 2023-03-21|
- On March 19, New York Attorney General Letitia Jamesalong with a coalition of advocacy organizations and elected leadershosted a first-of-its-kind Drag Story Hour Read-A-Thon for families in New York City, per a press release from her ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|Major national LGBTQ+ groups condemn Oklahoma House censure motion against Rep. Mauree Turner 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Last week, Oklahoma Representative Mauree Turner was the target of a censure motion by Republican leaders — a blatant attempt to silence the first openly non-binary U.S. state legislator. The motion passed on a party line ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 48th Ward candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth speaks about her run-off race 2023-03-15|
- Note: The following interview is part of Windy City Times' ongoing coverage of LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 Chicago municipal elections. The run-off election takes place Tuesday, April 4. Following the Feb. 28 primary electionwhere 10 ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson endorses 48th Ward alderperson candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, community organizer and progressive advocate, earned the endorsement of Chicago Mayoral Candidate Cook County Commissioner Brandon Johnson. Since the February 28th runoff election, Manaa-Hoppenworth has ...
|Personal PAC to endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Personal PAC, one of Illinois' leading organizations dedicated to protecting reproductive rights, announces today an endorsement for Brandon Johnson for mayor: From the organization: "Personal PAC is proud to stand with Brandon Johnson ...
|Mayoral candidate Johnson appears at monthly LGBTQ+ event 2023-03-13|
- On the evening of March 11, mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson made a surprise appearance in front of a packed room at the monthly LGBTQ+ event Slo Mo Jam, which was held at Sleeping Village, 3734 W. ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|