WINDY CITY TIMES
||Illinois hospitals excel in HRC's healthcare index
This article shared 684 times since Wed Apr 4, 2018
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation ( HRC ) released the 11th edition of its annual Healthcare Equality Index ( HEI ), which scores healthcare facilities on policies and practices dedicated to the equitable treatment and inclusion of their LGBTQ patients, visitors and employees.
A record 626 healthcare facilities actively participated in this year's survey, committing to LGBTQ-inclusive policies and practices. Of facilities surveyed, 418 earned a top score of 100, and received HRC's coveted "Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality" designation. In addition, the HRC Foundation proactively researched key policies at more than 900 non-participating hospitals across the nation.
The following Illinois hospitals received an HEI score of 100: Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, Howard Brown Health, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Rush University Medical Center, University of Chicago Medical Center, University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System, VA Illiana Health Care System in Danville, VA Edward Hines Jr. Hospital Hines and Rush Oak Park Hospital Oak Park. Other Illinois hospitals listed scored under 100.
The release of the 2018 HEI coincided with the deadline for public comments on the proposed Trump-Pence so-called "conscience" regulation at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Related coverage here: www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/HRC-Annual-Healthcare-Equality-Index-Honors-Record-626-Health-Care-Facilities/62373.html .
This article shared 684 times since Wed Apr 4, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|COVID Chicago's latest travel advisory remains the same 2021-09-28|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) did not add or remove any states from its weekly COVID-19 Travel Advisory on Sept. 28. The numbers of states and territories remain at 48 and three, respectively. California ...
|Defend Abortion Access marches/rallies planned across Illinois Oct. 2 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — A coalition of more than 20 progressive organizations, supporters, and providers of reproductive health care are holding "Defend Abortion Access" events across Illinois on Saturday, October 2, in response to the Texas abortion ban ...
|Black Leadership Advocacy Coalition for Healthcare Funding Equity (BLACHFE) launches 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO IL — September 20, 2021 — Eleven African-American-led organizations have united to form the Black Leadership Advocacy Coalition for Healthcare Funding Equity (BLACHFE). The purpose of BLACHFE is to ...
|COVID California, Puerto Rico off Chicago's travel advisory list; others return 2021-09-21|
- On Sept. 22, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) took one state and one territoryCalifornia and Puerto Ricooff its weekly COVID-19 Travel Advisory, while Connecticut and the District of Columbia returned to the advisory. The ...
|LGBTQ blood donation discrimination assessed, PULSE shootings cited 2021-09-21|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — Last week, Reps. Mike Quigley (IL-05), Val B. Demings (FL-10), Carolyn B. Maloney (NY-12), Adam B. Schiff (CA-28), Barbara Lee (CA-13), and Ritchie Torres (NY-15) received a ...
|Patrick J. Kennedy to receive award from Trilogy at virtual gala 2021-09-18|
- Chicago-based Trilogy Behavioral Healthcare will present its Partner in Recovery Award to The Kennedy Forum founder, mental-health advocate and former Congressman Patrick J. Kennedy as a part of its virtual 50th-anniversary gala on Thursday, Oct. 21. ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|National groups kick off #BiWeek to celebrate bisexuality+ visibility 2021-09-16|
- Sept. 16 marks the start of #BiWeek, an annual digital campaign to accelerate acceptance for the bisexual+ (bi, pansexual, fluid, queer, unlabeled, etc.) community, according to a joint press release from the organizations The Bisexual Resource ...
|COVID Southern Illinois reports it has zero ICU beds available 2021-09-15|
- Amid a COVID-19 surge, Illinois' southern region reported Sept. 13-14 that it ran out of intensive care unit (ICU) bedswhich has delayed surgeries and resulted in longer waits for appropriate care, The Chicago Tribune reported. In ...
|Howard Brown hosting Midwest LGBTQ Health Symposium on Sept. 29-30 2021-09-15|
- Howard Brown Health will host its 2021 Midwest LGBTQ Health Symposium in a virtual format Sept. 29-30. The conference, presented by the Howard Brown Health Center for Education, Research and ...
|COVID Connecticut, D.C., removed from Chicago's travel advisory 2021-09-14|
- On Sept. 14, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) took one stateConnecticutand the District of Columbia off its weekly COVID-19 travel advisory. The advisory now includes 48 states and three territories, as daily COVID case ...
|Men Having Babies surrogacy conference on Oct. 9 2021-09-13|
- The Men Having Babies 2021 Midwest Surrogacy Conference & Expo will take place Saturday, Oct. 9, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. According to a press statement, more than 100 (vaccinated!) ...
|SAVOR Sunny Bowls 2021-09-11|
- Looking for a comforting, healthful option for lunch? Then look no further than Sunny Bowls: Souper Food (theMart, #201.; https://sunnybowls.com/), which specializes in various soups? Part of the food court at theMART (which some also call ...
|COVID Chicago's travel advisory now includes all states outside Illinois 2021-09-08|
- The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH), on Sept. 8, added one state—Vermont—to its weekly COVID-19 travel advisory. The advisory now includes every state and territory in the country, as COVID continues to surge across the ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...