WINDY CITY TIMES
||Illinois Tourism #AmazingForAll sculpture at Northalsted Market Days
This article shared 882 times since Sat Aug 11, 2018
The Illinois Office of Tourism's larger-than-life art installation celebrating their "Amazing for All" LGBTQ and diversity initiative was unveiled on the first day of Northalsted Market Days, Aug. 11, just south of the Addison gate in Boystown.
The 6-foot-by-23-foot #AmazingForAll wooden sculpture was designed and created by Chicago artist Matthew Hoffman to celebrate and welcome the LGBTQ community from around the world to Chicago and Illinois.
Cory Jobe, the openly gay director of the Illinois Office of Tourism, attended the event to promote the state's Amazing for All campaign.
During Market Days weekend, the public is encouraged to take photos and interact with the temporary installation while scoring free t-shirts, stickers and temporary tattoos provided by Illinois Office of Tourism, while supplies last. The event also includes a postcard station where attendees can write post cards to friends and family and encourage them to visit Illinois and experience the state's inclusivity firsthand.
The Amazing for All campaign was launched by Illinois Office of Tourism in March 2018 to celebrate the diverse people and places that make Illinois an amazing place to visit.
Hoffman is the artist and designer behind "You Are Beautiful," a project that aims to better the world in little ways. His uplifting public pieces have been exhibited around the world.
The installation will be removed after Market Days and reinstalled at a permanent location in Chicago later this year.
See www.enjoyillinois.com/amazing-for-all .
From a press release
This article shared 882 times since Sat Aug 11, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ: Awards, 'Bebop,' Andy Cohen, Mariah Carey, Revry 2020-11-23|
- The American Music Awards aired live Nov. 22 and some of the biggest names in music took home awards; Taraji P. Henson hosted. According to CNN.com, Doja Cat won new artist of the year and Becky ...
|Black transgender artist Heather Hills releases single, video from Trans Trenderz 2020-11-20|
--From a press release - (New York, NY) Electro-pop/rap artist, Heather Hills, has released the new single and video, "Get Dun," on the Trans Trenderz label. "Get Dun" is not for those expecting trauma porn. "I got a cute beat and ...
|BOOKS/ART Local man releases sketches by famous artist uncle 2020-11-19|
- Cuban American painter Gustavo Ojeda (1958—89) is best known for lush and meditative urban nightscapes that brought him recognition in the 1980s downtown New York art scene. He exhibited works alongside artists such as Jean-Michel Basquiat, ...
|Play development series seeks new plays authored by artists of color 2020-11-19|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Calling all bold, imaginative new plays authored by artists of color for Future LabsGoodman Theatre's newest artistic program to develop works authored and directed by Black, Indigenous, Latinx, AAPI and other artists of co ...
|Five Worth Finding: Restaurants, OUT100, children's book, face mask 2020-11-19|
- —Perry's Steakhouse & Grille (PerrysSteakhouse.com): This suburban spot (with two restaurants in Oak Brook and Schaumburg) is well-known for its delicious cuts of meat, sumptuous sides and hand-crafted cocktails. It's ...
|Day With(out) Art: Transmissions launches online Nov. 30 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, Nov. 16, 2020 — Visual AIDS, the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to raising AIDS and HIV awareness through dialogue, art exhibitions and public forums, announces their ...
|About Face Theatre starts 25th season with Kickback online short play fest 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov 9, 2020) — About Face Theatre kicks off its landmark 25th season with KICKBACK, an online festival of newly commissioned short plays and performances by Black LGBTQ+ artists, inspired by the Rebuild Foundation's collections ...
|Artist Riva Lehrer talks new memoir, career, state of the world 2020-11-18|
- In queer artist, writer and curator Riva Lehrer's recently released memoir Golem Girl, she takes readers on a journey through her life via the lens of her being born with spina bifida and the way that ...
|MUSICALS 1997 version of Anyone Can Whistle out Dec. 4
- On Sunday, Dec. 4, Jay Records will release a 1997 recording of the musical Anyone Can Whistle, which originally had music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim as well as a book by Arthur Laurents. The production ...
|THEATER Pride Arts artistic director resigns; PFP keeps Zak 2020-11-12|
- Two controversial developments have occurred at Pride Arts (in which Pride Films & Plays, PFP, is the main tenant). According to a letter from PrideArts President Cheri Tatar that Windy City Times obtained, PFP Artistic Director ...
|Hyde Park Art Center gala Nov. 21 2020-11-12|
- Hyde Park Art Center will present its annual galaheld for the first time virtuallyon Saturday, Nov. 21, at 3-4 p.m. and 6:30-9 p.m. with the Centerpiece program at 7-8 p.m, and afternoon and evening programming geared ...
|57th Street Art Fair to return next June 2020-11-10|
- The 74th annual 57th Street Art Fair is slated to return June 5-6, 2021. The free event is the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, featuring nearly 200 artists, live music, kids' activities and a food court. ...
|A Red Orchid Theatre appoints Travis Knight, Sadieh Rifai to new positions 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, ILA Red Orchid Theatre announces the appointments of Ensemble Member Travis Knight as Associate Artistic Director and Ensemble Member Sadieh Rifai as Artistic Development Coordinator. Ensemble member Shade Murray ...
|Theater excellence honored with 52nd annual Equity Awards 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - Nov. 9, 2020 — CHICAGO — In its 52nd annual celebration of theater excellence, the Jeff Awards has recognized 39 recipients for the 2020 awards, selected from among 142 theater artist nominees across 30 artistic and ...
|The African American Arts Alliance announces 2020 Black Excellence Awards
--From a press release - Chicago, ILThe African American Arts Alliance (AAAA) will host the 20th annual Black Excellence Awards, an evening celebrating Black artists, Black voices, and Black stories across artistic disciplines, on November 10, 2020 at 7pm. The 2020 ...