WINDY CITY TIMES
||INDIAN GOV'T BACKS SODOMY BAN
This article shared 2058 times since Wed Sep 17, 2003
Lawyers for the national government told the Delhi High Court Sept. 8 that gay sex must remain banned in India because of societal disapproval.
'Indian society by and large disapproves of homosexuality and disapproval was strong enough to justify it being treated as a criminal offence even where the adults indulge in it in private,' they wrote.
The community-based AIDS organization Naz Foundation sued to overturn Penal Code Section 377 which punishes gay sex, lesbian sex and bestiality with up to life in prison. Naz says the law interferes with its HIV prevention efforts.
But the government argued, 'Deletion of the said section can well open the flood gates of delinquent behaviour and be construed as providing unbridled licence for the same.'
The government also charged that Naz had no standing to bring the lawsuit because it has not been prosecuted under Section 377. The court will consider the matter further on Dec. 10.
This article shared 2058 times since Wed Sep 17, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|BOOKS Max Fox takes on late friend's work, 'Sexual Hegemony' 2020-10-11|
- The late Christopher Chitty started a dissertation titled "Sexual Hegemony: Statecraft, Sodomy, and Capital in the Rise of the World System" while he was a PhD candidate. Writer, editor and friend Max Fox took on Chitty's ...
|WORLD Zambia pardon, fashion house, HIV+ mayor, Costa Rica marriage
- Zambia's president pardoned a gay couple sentenced to 15 years in prison in November under colonial-era sodomy laws in a case that caused a diplomatic conflict with the United States, Reuters reported. Japhet Chataba, 39, and ...
|World news: Caleb Orozco, racism survey, Chechnya, Caitlyn Jenner 2017-05-23|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - OutRight Action International honored Caleb Orozcothe man who successfully challenged Belize's sodomy law and wonwith the Felipa De Sousa Award at the organization's annual gala, "A Celebration of Courage," a ...
|OutRight Honors LGBTIQ Human Rights Defenders at United Nations 2017-05-18|
From a press release - On May 15, 2017, OutRight Action International honored Caleb Orozco, the man who successfully challenged Belize's sodomy law and won, with the Felipa De Sousa Award at the organization's annual gala, a Celebration of Courage. OutRight's ...
|IGLHRC, MADRE on alleged executions for sodomy by ISIS in Iraq 2015-01-21|
From a press release - The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) and MADRE, the global women's rights group, condemn the recent killing of at least five individuals by the Islamic State, two of whom were allegedly murdered for ...
La. keeps outdated sodomy law
- The Louisiana House voted 66-27 to keep the state's unconstitutional sodomy ban under Louisiana's "crimes against nature" law, according to The Huffington Post. The Supreme Court's 2003 Lawrence v. Texas decision invalidated all state bans on ...
|Lambda Legal blog series look at decades of legal fights 2013-03-12|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Those awaiting Supreme Court decisions on two same-sex marriage cases may have a hard time imagining that just a decade ago, that same court struck down sodomy laws in the United States. But the decision on ...
|World news 2012-07-31|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - The Liberian Senate has voted unanimously to approve a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, AFP reported. Homosexuality was already considered taboo while "voluntary sodomy" is a criminal offense. Senator Jewell ...
|Malaysian official cleared of sodomy charges; artist of homoerotic work attacked 2012-01-18|
World news: Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Former Malaysia Deputy Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim was cleared of sodomy charges after the validity of DNA evidence was questioned, Pink News reported. In 2008, Ibrahim (who is married with six children ) was arrested after ...
|Lambda Legal mourns passing of John Lawrence, from Lawrence v. Texas sodomy case 2011-12-28|
From a news release, Dec. 23, 2011 - "The impact of Lawrence v. Texas is felt every time a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender person steps into a courtroom. We honor John for his courage and willingness to represent the community in a watershed ...
|Experts say LGBT people should expunge arrests 2011-08-17|
- Fifty years ago, the most common reason for arrests of gay people was violation of sodomy laws. Over the years, the reasons why LGBT people have been arrested has changed, but the utility of arrest expungement ...
|Polygamists, citing famous gay case, sue for their rights 2011-07-20|
- The polygamist family portrayed in the reality TV show Sister Wives is suing Utah and using the famous U.S. Supreme Court case that erased the United States' remaining sodomy laws to bolster the case. Kody Brown ...
|Lambda Legal breakfast to celebrate historic victory Lawrence v. Texas 2011-06-23|
From a News Release - Save the Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 7:30 a.m. (Houston, June 22, 2011) - Lambda Legal will host its 8th annual breakfast celebrating the historic U.S. Supreme Court victory that struck down sodomy laws nationwide, Lawrence ...
|World News: Korean military sodomy law upheld 2011-04-13|
Special to the Online Edition of Windy City Times - South Korea's Constitutional Court on March 31 upheld the army's ban on gay sex, saying it is not "unnecessarily discriminatory" and helps maintain order. Violators of the ban can be imprisoned for up to two years. ...
|World Roundup 2000-07-19|
- SAUDI GAYS BEHEADED Six men were executed in Saudi Arabia in mid-July for crimes related to homosexuality. Three men were beheaded in Abha July 11 for engaging in sodomy, transvestism and "homosexual marriage," and for allegedly ...