WINDY CITY TIMES
||ILGA'S state-sponsored homophobia report 2013: Happiness, anger
From a press release
This article shared 3537 times since Thu May 16, 2013
Geneva, 15 May 2013 The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA) has launched its 2013 issue of the state-sponsored homophobia report, a world survey of laws on criminalisation, protection and recognition of same-sex love, from its newly opened office in Geneva.
"We are very proud of the format and the richness in information of this edition" said ILGA co-Secretaries General Renato Sabbadini and Gloria Careaga, "which make it easier to consult for anyone who wants to find out about legislation affecting negatively or positively lesbians and gays in the world today. The content of the report offers reasons for happiness and anger at the same time, as on the one hand we see how more and more countries adopt equal marriage and other pieces of progressive legislation, while on the other hand criminalisation on the basis of sexual orientation is maintained in 78 countries."
"Moreover, an extremely worrying development is to be found in Russia, where the state does not criminalise same-sex sexual relations, but nevertheless sanctions and encourages homophobia by way of laws against LGBTI activists, preposterously defined by the Russian authorities as 'homosexual propaganda'. It is no exaggeration" concluded Careaga and Sabbadini, "to say that the Russian State bears the moral responsibility for the homophobic murder of Vlad Tornovy in Volgograd few days ago. More needs to be done to fight homophobia, both in countries where being gay or lesbian is legal and in those where it is not."
The report, edited by Lucas Paoli Itaborahy and Jingshu Zhu, has been presented at the City Hall of Geneva, at the presence of more than 30 UN Delegates.
Click old.ilga.org/Statehomophobia/ILGA_State_Sponsored_Homophobia_2013.pdf to download the report and old.ilga.org/Statehomophobia/ILGA_map_2013_A4.pdf for the world map on lesbian and gay rights
For more information on the report and the related world map, click ilga.org/ilga/en/article/1161 .
This article shared 3537 times since Thu May 16, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Matthew Shepard film to be shown ahead of 25th anniversary of his death 2023-09-01|
- Ahead of the 25th anniversary of Matthew Shepard's death, a new two-hour documentary has been announced to honor the posthumous impact made by the gay college student who died after being abducted, beaten and left for ...
|Man pleads guilty to hate crime at UpRising Bakery 2023-08-17|
- Alsip, Illinois resident Joseph I. Collins, 25, pled guilty on Aug. 16 to committing a hate crime last summer at UpRising Bakery and Cafe, a Lake in the Hills business that was preparing to host a ...
|NATIONAL Drag news, HIV-bias lawsuit, Disney, Brittney Griner, gay dancer 2023-08-04|
- Swastika flag-toting neo-Nazis, some of them armed, were at a Wisconsin LGBTQ+ Pride celebration that included a drag show, The Advocate reported. Members of the neo-Nazi extremist group Blood Tribe joined other right-wing hate groups, like ...
|Dancer O'Shae Sibley murdered amid rising violence against LGBTQs; GLAAD highlights trend 2023-08-01|
--From a press release - At least five LGBTQ people have been murdered in recent weeks, following a dramatic spike in anti-LGBTQ hate and harassment during Pride month. GLAAD: "[O'Shae] Sibley's shocking murder follows a disturbing rise in violence and harassment ...
|Baseball team cuts player who defends anti-LGBTQ+ post 2023-07-05|
- Last month, the Toronto Blue Jays cut pitcher Anthony Bass after he said he didn't think an anti-LGBTQ+ social media post he shared last month was hateful, NBC News noted. The move happened hours before Bass ...
|Prime Minister Trudeau condemns Canadian university stabbings 2023-07-01|
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the June 28 stabbings of a professor and two students in a gender-studies class at the University of Waterloo after police revealed the motive was hate-related, calling it "heinous violence," ...
|Oregon man pleads guilty to Idaho hate-crime charges 2023-06-16|
- On June 15, an Oregon man pled guilty to being charged with two federal hate crimes that took place in Boise, Idaho, per a U.S. Department of Justice release. According to court records, on Oct. 8, ...
|Toronto baseball player claims anti-LGBTQIA+ post wasn't hateful 2023-06-09|
- Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Anthony Bass said on June 8 he doesn't believe an anti-LGBTQIA+ social-media post he shared last month was hateful, ESPN reported. "I do not [believe it was hateful]," Bass said. "That's why ...
|Billy Masters: Darren Hayes is bummed out 2023-05-01|
- "Don't fuck it up!" —Glenn Close's bit of advice over the Paramount+ series based on "Fatal Attraction". Darren Hayes has a nice bum. I hate to start in such a coarse way—not that I have firsthand ...
|HRC condemns North Dakota House for latest "Slate of Hate" targeting trans, non-binary people 2023-02-22|
--From a press release - Bismarck, ND - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, denounced members of the North Dakota House for ...
|Des Plaines Theater cancels anti-LGBTQ hate group event after outcry from citizens 2023-01-20|
- DuPage County-based Awake Illinois was set to hold an event called "Out of the Echo Chamber: Coalition for Kids" at the city-owned, but not city-operated, Des Plaines Theatre Wednesday, Feb. 8. This event has now been ...
|In memoriam: LGBTQ community obituaries 2022 2022-12-27|
- The LGBTQ community lost many members in 2022, including at least 35 people in incidents of hate violence against individual transgender people and against patrons of the Club Q bar in Colorado. Here are other memorable ...
|LGBTs nine times more likely than non-LGBTe to be victims of violent hate crimes 2022-12-21|
-- From a Williams Institute press release - About one out of 10 violent victimizations against LGBT people are hate crimes, according to a new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. LGBT people are nine times more likely than non-LGBT ...
|Report released on online hate and gender-affirming providers 2022-12-16|
- The Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC Foundation) has released "Online Harassment, Offline Violence: Unchecked Harassment of Gender-Affirming Care Providers and Children's Hospitals on Social Media, and its Offline Violent Consequences." ...
|Billy Masters: Anthony Rapp becomes a dad, and all the dish to start your week 2022-12-12|
- "And haters, if you're watching this because I know you are—you work hard, but I work harder!" —Todrick Hall's message to critics. BTW, he's back on the air with HGTV's "Battle of the Bling" with Kim ...