WINDY CITY TIMES
||Hubbard Street Dance Chicago names new artistic director
This article shared 1520 times since Thu Feb 4, 2021
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) announced that former company member Linda-Denise Fisher-Harrell has been named artistic director of the contemporary dance company, effective March 1.
A native of Baltimore, Fisher-Harrell began her dance training at the Baltimore School for the Arts and later studied at The Juilliard School. In 1989, she was invited to join HSDC and was quickly given featured roles in pieces including Daniel Ezralow's Read My Hips, Margo Sappington's Mirage, Twyla Tharp's Baker's Dozen and The Golden Section, and many more. In 1992, she became a principal dancer with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater under the direction of Judith Jamison, where she had the honor of performing several iconic lead roles with the company during her 13-year tenure.
Since 2005 she has focused on education, passing on her knowledge and experience to future artists of all ages. She has served as a professor at Towson University, as an instructor at the Baltimore School for the Arts, and as a mentor to middle school students as Director of Ailey Camp Baltimore. She earned a Masters of Fine Arts from Hollins University in 2007.
"I am excited to get started," Fisher-Harrell said in a statement. "My vision for Hubbard Street includes creating a more accessible, exciting and diverse future for the company. Together we will continue to push contemporary dance and society forward by presenting challenging and diverse voices."
This article shared 1520 times since Thu Feb 4, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|DANCE Joffrey's Winning Works winners named 2021-12-01|
- The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, announced the recipients of the twelfth annual Winning Works Choreographic Competition: Audrey Ipapo Baran, Joffrey Company artist Edson Barbosa, Taylor Carrasco and Derick McKoy Jr. ...
|M3 Dance presenting 'The Nutcracker' in Elgin on Dec. 4-5 2021-11-28|
- M3 Dance and Synergy Dance Academy will present Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker on Saturday, Dec. 4 at 2 and 7 p.m.; and on Sunday, Dec. 5, at 2 p.m. at Elgin's Hemmens Cultural Center, 45 ...
|Ivan Aguayo brings eclectic background to 'evolution' of dance 2021-11-23|
By Cris Villalonga-Vivoni - In the center of the A&A Ballet studio stood the Mouse King. His long, felt tail trailed behind him as he made attempts to pose both for the camera and the numerous other ballet performers in ...
|TV JoJo Siwa in finale of 'Dancing with the Stars' and the winner is… 2021-11-23|
- Queer social-media and reality-show figure JoJo Siwa made history on this season of Dancing with the Stars by being part of the series' first same-sex couple (with partner Jenna Johnson)—and the twosome made it all the ...
|Joffrey announces return of reimagined classic, The Nutcracker 2021-11-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (November 8, 2021)— The Joffrey Ballet's critically acclaimed reimagined classic, The Nutcracker, by Tony Award®-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon, will be a part of the Joffrey's first-ever season at the historic Lyric ...
|Joffrey names new head of studio company and trainee program 2021-10-28|
- Abbott Academy Director of the Joffrey Academy of Dance Raymond Rodriguez announced that Christopher Marney is the new head of studio company and trainees at the academy. Marney begins his new role Nov. 3, just eight ...
|Hubbard Street Dance back on the stage with 'RE/TURN' 2021-10-21|
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) will present Fall Series: RE/TURN to herald its return to the stage at the Harris Theater, 205 E. Randolph St. The program will feature new premieres as well as audience favorites ...
|MOVIES 'Bolshoi Ballet' series to start locally Nov. 7 2021-10-21|
- The "2021-2022 Bolshoi Ballet in Cinema" series is set to begin Sunday, Nov. 7 with Bolshoi Ballet: Spartacus—LIVE. Spartacus is considered a ballet tour de force, set to Aram Khachaturian's score. Bolshoi Ballet: Spartacus—LIVE is set t ...
|Visceral Dance Chicago bringing world premieres to Athenaeum Theatre 2021-10-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Oct. 5, 2021 — Visceral Dance Chicago—a contemporary company committed to the progression of diverse artists, programs and community collaborations—announced its Fall Engagement 2021 program. The dance company returns ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Until legal ruling, Disneyland banned same-sex dancers 2021-10-01|
- Deemed the "Happiest Place on Earth," Disneyland sadly didn't live up to that billing for same-sex couples during its first three decades. Opened in 1955 by the late Walt Disney, the family-oriented amusement park was built ...
|Joffrey's Nutcracker returns for the holidays 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - (Chicago) — The Joffrey Ballet's reimagined holiday classic, The Nutcracker, by Tony Award®-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon, returns to Chicago during the Joffrey's first-ever season at the historic Lyric Opera House ...
|DANCE Hubbard Street presenting drive-in edition of 'Inside/Out' Oct. 2 2021-09-23|
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago will hold its annual "Inside/Out" choreographic workshop, "Drive-In(side Out)," on Saturday, Oct. 2, at 7 p.m. at ChiTown Movies, 2343 S. Throop St., preceded by a welcome party and DJ starting at ...
|Chicago Dance History Project moving to Ruth Page Center 2021-09-17|
- Chicago Dance History Project (CDHP)which investigates, documents and presents the individual and institutional past of Chicago danceplans to move into The Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St., as an artist in residence. ...
|Joffrey welcomes four dancers from South Korea, Spain and the U.S. 2021-09-15|
- The Joffrey Ballet's Mary B. Galvin Artistic Director Ashley Wheater MBE, The and President and CEO Greg Cameron announced the addition of four dancers to the Joffrey roster for the 2021-22 season: Brian Bennett (Lanham, Maryland), ...
|DANCE Ensemble Espanol to open Auditorium Theatre season Oct. 16 2021-09-10|
- Ensemble Espanol Spanish Dance Theater, in residence at Northeastern Illinois University, will return to the Auditorium Theatre on Saturday, Oct. 16, at 7:30 p.m. The company will mark the finale performance of its 45th-anniversary "Zafiro Flamenco ...