||Homophobia & The 'Stupid Statement'
by Vicky Nabors
This article shared 3209 times since Wed Sep 1, 2004
The 'Stupid-Statement,' expressed: 'What you do is your business (or your thang), just don't bring it to me.' The majority of you should know what I'm talking about. If not, here it is: You've gotten close to a co-worker or new friend, and it's become increasingly difficult to discuss personal issues without outing yourself; so you decide to 'come out' to this person. It's not easy, but you find the perfect moment, when the two of you are alone, and you go for it. If you're lucky, the person will respond, 'I already know,' and turn their attentions to more pressing matters; or they'll freak out, and distance themselves from you. Too many times, however, you'll be recipient of the 'stupid-statement.' Recently, I started a new job, and have heard it already.
The problem with the 'stupid-statement' is that it's quite insulting to the individual who risked 'outing' themselves. It also evolves into an unexpected emotional assault, because the first part of the statement is quite uplifting and embracing of your orientation, ('What you do is your business / or your thang...'). So, when you hear the first part of this person's response, you lower your defense mechanisms; you relax. Unfortunately, at this point, you've opened yourself up for the unexpected assault that follows. The attachment portion of this statement is about to fall, ('Just don't bring it to me!').
The owner of this statement thinks that they're doing a good thing by sharing their non-homophobic views with you. They don't, however, seem to understand the negative impact of their irrational thinking; it really pisses us off. 'How dare you uplift me with your words only to kick me in my gut?'
It's quite insulting and demeaning to be the receiver of this illogical response, especially to me as a womyn. It's insulting because, the assumption that because I'm a lesbian, I want to have sex with every womyn that I meet is asinine. It's demeaning because I despise being categorized with oversexed males. Wimyn are more interested in developing relationships, friendships, social circles, and community: I love making new friends. So to lower me to nothing more than a lusting sexual creature is demeaning, there's more to me than my sexuality—but that's how the womyn interprets my existence at that moment. It's as if she's surrounding herself with a force-field to protect her from my experienced tongue, just in-case I get any funny ideas.
What she fails to understand is that my tongue is highly selective, and that she doesn't qualify, even if she's beautiful—she's straight, 'Hellooo ... penis lives there!' Ick ... . Additionally, the absurdity of this mode of thinking digs even deeper because too many of these womyn are undesirables to me, man, womyn, and beast; reasons: bad teeth, bad wig/ weave, anorexic, hygiene problems, built like a big (no-shape) squash, just plain ugly, or has spit pools forming at the corners of her mouth (true story).
Bottom line, there's an element of homophobia hidden in the 'stupid-statement.' If it weren't, the attachment wouldn't be necessary. Apparently, some hidden curiosities exist that she fears. As we know, some of the biggest homophobes are those who are bicurious, but refuse to acknowledge it; thus their protection becomes the 'stupid-statement.'
OK, enough venting—moving on.
This article shared 3209 times since Wed Sep 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Center on Halsted among community projects U.S. Rep. Quigley supports for funding 2021-04-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), a member of the House Committee on Appropriations and Chairman of the Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government, announced his ...
|WORLD Adoption ban, trans soldier, Belgium killing, archbishop 2021-03-14|
- Same-sex couples will be barred from adopting children in Poland even as single parents, under a new law announced by a nationalist ruling party that has made anti-gay policies a major part of its governing platform, ...
|WORLD Ghana turmoil, Malaysia case, Copenhagen 2021, Brazil churches 2021-02-28|
- Anti-gay outcry has forced Ghana's first LGBT+ community center to temporarily close to protect its staff and visitors three weeks after it opened, Reuters reported. Church groups, politicians and anti-gay rights groups have called on the ...
|NATIONAL Attacks, TGNC emojis, lawsuits, 'Divas for Democracy'
- A 24-year-old man was punched in the face and called an anti-gay slur while filming a TikTok video with a female friend in lower Manhattan, and police are investigating the attack as a hate crime, according ...
|WORLD Iran report, Uruguay Pride parade, anti-gay terrorist 2020-09-29|
- A new survey"Hidden Wounds: A Research Report on Violence Against LGBTI in Iran," published by the Iranian Lesbian and Transgender Network, 6Rangis shedding light on the atrocities LGBTQ+ Iranians face on a daily basis, Out.com reported. ...
|State rep Grant apologizes for racist, anti-gay remarks
- Illinois state Rep. Amy Grant, R-Wheaton, apologized after making disparaging comments in a recorded telephone call about her opponent, Ken Mejia-Beal, which referenced his race and sexual orientation, Quad City ...
|Groups, officials condemn state rep's anti-gay remarks 2020-09-21|
- Organizations and elected officials condemned comments Republican Illinois state Rep. Amy Grant made during a fundraising call about her Democratic challenger, Ken Mejia-Beal. According to a statement Equality Illinois released ...
|Reds announcer suspended for anti-gay slur
- The Major League Baseball team the Cincinnati Reds suspended broadcaster Thom Brennaman after he used an anti-gay slur on air Aug. 19, prompting the team to apologize for the "horrific, homophobic remark," ESPN.com reported. Brennaman used ...
|Nini's closes after posting racist, anti-gay messages 2020-06-08|
- Nini's Delia fast-casual restaurant that served Cuban-inspired breakfast sandwiches with ropa vieja and empanadas, at 543 N. Noble St.has permanently closed after crowds gathered over the weekend to protest a ...
|Tenn. Gov. Bill Lee signs anti-gay adoption bill 2020-01-25|
- Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a controversial bill that would let adoption agencies deny service to same-sex couples, among others, based on religious stances. The law takes effect immediately. Several ...
|Smollett files malicious prosecution countersuit 2019-11-20|
- Actor Jussie Smollett, who last winter alleged that he'd been the victim of a vicious anti-gay attack in downtown Chicago, filed a federal lawsuit on Nov. 19 against, among others, the City of Chicago, Chicago Police ...
|Gay Man Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Stay Execution and Order District Court to Hear New Evidence of Jury's Anti-Gay Bias 2019-11-01|
- (Washington, D.C.) Attorneys for Charles Rhines filed a petition for a writ of habeas corpus with the U.S. Supreme Court today and asked the Court to direct a federal district court to hear new evidence of ...
|Trump takes anti-gay stance on Title VII 2019-08-25|
- The Trump administration filed a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court on Aug. 23, arguing that federal civil-rights law does not protect gay, lesbian and bisexual workers, NBC News reported. The brief was submitted in combined ...
|Reports say Schock may be stepping out of closet 2019-08-16|
- LGBTQ Nation reported that former Congressman Aaron Schock (R-Illinois)who favored anti-gay legislation while in officeappears to be taking one step out of the closet. In a leaked chat conversation Queerty ...
|WORLD Vatican meeting, anti-gay countries, trans attack, Brunei items 2019-04-09|
- A group of international lawyers researching the criminalization of homosexuality has met with the Vatican secretary of state and urged the Holy See to publicly oppose such laws and conversion therapies for gays, The San Francisco ...