WINDY CITY TIMES
||Hedwig Dances dance theater ensemble to present Sea Level: Aboce and Below
This article shared 2808 times since Fri Dec 21, 2018
Chicago, IL - Hedwig Dances, a Chicago-based contemporary dance theater ensemble, known for its theatricality and originality, presents SEA LEVEL: Above and Below, two premiere works by emerging Cuban-born choreographers, Hedwig company members Taimy Ramos and Rigoberto Saura. Both pieces play with illusion and perspective, combining poetic choreography with sculptural artifacts provoking human connection and wonder. SEA LEVEL: Above and Below will be presented on two dates only: Thursday, March 21 and Saturday, March 23, 7:30pm at Ruth Page Center For The Arts, 1016 North Dearborn St. Chicago, IL 60610. General Admission tickets are $25, seniors $20 and students $10. Tickets are available now for purchase ONLINE at bit.ly/HedwigDances_SEALEVEL and may also be purchased at the door on performance nights. A post-performance conversation in the theater with the choreographers will follow the performance on Thursday, March 21.
Taimy Ramos creates A Flor de Piel ( Skin-deep ), a dance that merges her choreography with her visual art constructions. The work explores how feelings which are hidden below the skin can materialize on stage, and how art can be used as a filter for healing. Rigoberto Saura presents Flowers and Machine ( a working title ), a dance that explores relationships between a fragile surface and a solid object.
About the Choreographers
Taimy Ramos was raised in Pinar de Rio, Cuba. She graduated from the National School of Dance in Havana and became a member of the Havana-based dance theater company DanzAbierta, led by choreographer Susana Pous; and, performed with Berlin-based choreographer Norbert Servos in his seminal work 'Made in Havana.' She taught and danced in several international tours with DanzAbierta in major dance festivals around Europe and America. Since 2016, she has danced with Hedwig Dances and Concert Dance Inc. Her choreographic experience includes creating dances for contests and graduations, for student productions at the National School of Art ( ENA ) and the Spanish International School, where she taught and choreographed for a group of more than 50 students. In Chicago, she has presented her choreography at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, and as part of J e l l o 2017 at Links Hall.
Rigoberto Saura graduated from the National School of Dance ( ENA ) and the Instituto Superior de Arte ( ISA ) in Havana, Cuba with a degree in dance. He danced as a soloist with Danza Contemporanea de Cuba ( 2008-2012 ) and served as a professor of dance at ENA. While in Cuba, he participated in multiple choreography competitions and festivals, including Impulses, a meeting of young choreographers organized by the Havana-based dance company, Retazos; and, the VI Ibero-American Choreography Competition ( CIC ). In 2013, he moved to Ecuador and became Assistant Choreographer for Pepe Hevia Dance Company. He had the opportunity to choreograph for the Metropolitan School of Dance in Quito for three consecutive years, taught professional workshops in dance composition at different cultural institutions in Ecuador, and was the choreographer of the Urban Ballet House. After moving to Chicago in 2017, he began to perform with Hedwig Dances and has shown his choreography at Ruth Page Center For The Arts and participated in J e l l o Performance Series at Links Hall in 2018.
About Hedwig Dances
Hedwig Dances is a contemporary dance theater ensemble celebrating 33 years under the artistic direction of its Founder, Jan Bartoszek. In-Residence at The Ruth Page Center for the Arts, Hedwig Dances' bold, interdisciplinary collaborations combine poetic choreography, projected images and haunting original music. The Company is named in honor of Ms. Bartoszek's grandmother. The critically acclaimed and award-winning dance ensemble has presented over 1,500 performances at prestigious national and international venues. The Company has twice performed in exclusive performances at Joyce SoHo in New York City. Additional engagements include Teatro Nacional De Cuba Sala Avellaneda in Havana, Cuba; Teatro Diana in Guadalajara, Mexico; Grace Street Theater in Richmond, Virginia; Margaret H'Doubler Performance Space in Madison, Wisconsin; Lee Theater for the Spring to Dance Festival in St. Louis, Missouri; among myriad other performance residencies and outreach programs spanning the past three decades. Hedwig Dances and its associated artists have been honored with two Ruth Page Awards and a Chicago Dance Award. For 20 years ( 1992 — 2011 ), Hedwig Dances served as the Dance Company-In-Residence at the Chicago Cultural Center under the visionary leadership and invitation of the late Lois Weisberg ( Commissioner, Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs, 1989-2011 ).
—From a press release
This article shared 2808 times since Fri Dec 21, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project to present dance concert 'Sans Pareil' 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Deeply Rooted Dance Theater joins the Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project again to take the stage in a dance concert entitled Sans Pareil—French for "unparalleled," a nod to the Haitian lineage of Chicago's founder, Jean-Baptiste Pointe ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 2023-02-10|
- Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 By Matt Simonette Performer Duane Gosa admits that going to the ballet can sometimes be intimidating for some audience. But he is quick to reassure that ...
|CGMC to re-create music videos in drag with 'Lipstick & Lyrics: On MTV' 2023-02-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGOChicago Gay Men's Chorus presents their annual live-singing drag show, Lipstick & Lyrics. This year's theme: On MTV. Come enjoy CGMC's drag performers as they recreate epic music videos. With dancers, costumes and sass, these live ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 48th Ward candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth on why running, biggest differences from other challengers 2023-01-31|
- A lifelong Chicagoan, Leni Manaa-Hoppeworth is running to become the next 48th Ward Alderperson. She is currently a small business owner (Chicago Dance Supply, 5301 N. Clark St., for the past 20 years) in the ward ...
|Baton Show Lounge unveils new male burlesque 2022-11-23|
- On the evening of Nov. 17, Baton Show Lounge, 4713 N. Broadway, presented Burlesque Royale, a new male review featuring local and national talent. Produced by noted photographer Ramsey Prince, the sold-out show featured vocalists Danika ...
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 5 at Auditorium Theatre 2022-10-11|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., will present Deeply Rooted Dance Theatera Chicago-based African-American contemporary dance companyin a one-night-only performance Saturday, Nov. 5, at 7:30 p.m. as ...
|AT&T celebrates National Coming Out Day (early) with performances, panel 2022-10-10|
- AT&Tin partnership with Center on Halsted and with the participation of do312.comheld "Turn Up the Love," a pre-celebration for National Coming Out Day that took place Oct. 8 at its flagship store at 600 N. Michigan ...
|DANCE Joffrey celebrates return of 'The Nutcracker' on Dec. 3-27 2022-10-06|
- This holiday season, The Joffrey Ballet celebrates the return of Tony-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon's production of The Nutcracker. Set in Chicago's World Fair in 1893, The Nutcracker will be presented at the Lyric Opera House, 20 ...
|DANCE Cerqua Rivera kickoff/benefit on Oct. 22 2022-09-30|
- Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre (CRDT) will hold its season kickoff/benefit on Saturday, Oct. 22, at the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St., at 7:30 p.m. CRDT's Dance Ensemble and Jazz ...
|Howard Brown Health partners with Chicago Dancers United 2022-09-27|
-- From a press release - Howard Brown Health and Chicago Dancers United (CDU) have announced a partnership to improve healthcare outcomes for local dance community members. Through the partnership, Howard Brown will be the go-to ...
|Joffrey Ballet welcomes nine new dancers 2022-09-27|
- The Joffrey Ballet's Ashley Wheater MBE, The Mary B. Galvin Artistic Director and President/CEO Greg Cameron announced the addition of nine dancers to the Joffrey roster for the 2022-23 season. They are Coco Alvarez-Mena (Miami, Florida), ...
|TV 'Dancing with the Stars' has first drag contestant 2022-09-08|
- The show Dancing with the Stars is recording a couple of firsts in its 31st seasonincluding its first-ever drag queen competitor. Actor and Performer D.J. "Shangela" Piercethe first contestant to compete on three separate seasons of ...
|DANCE Rogers Park group Synapse Arts to hold Sept. 17 fundraiser 2022-09-06|
- On Saturday, Sept. 17, there will be another “Crosswalk Dance” from the Rogers Park company Synapse Arts as well as another Jarvis Square Artisan Market and the celebration of National Dance Day. ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises $300K at 'Dance for Life' 2022-09-06|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU), which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance community, welcomed more than 1,700 people to the 31st annual Dance for Life on Aug. 13 at the Auditorium Theatre, followed by ...