WINDY CITY TIMES
||HRC site looks at Romney's flip-flops on LGBT issues
From a news release
This article shared 3236 times since Tue Mar 6, 2012
Washington — Showcasing Mitt Romney's constantly changing positions on issues important to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans, the Human Rights Campaign today launched a new website to educate voters about the former Massachusetts Governor's record. "Mitt 'N Match" cleverly allows users to see his various stances on open military service, workplace non-discrimination and relationship recognition. The site is at www.MittNMatch.com .
"Mitt Romney changes positions on LGBT issues more often than he changes clothes," said HRC President Joe Solmonese. "It is mind boggling that someone can go from once saying he would be more pro-gay than Ted Kennedy to signing a draconian pledge sponsored by the National Organization for Marriage."
On "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," the site outlines his original opposition to the ban on gay servicemembers to his statements supporting DADT. On workplace non-discrimination, he promised to co-sponsor the Employment Non-Discrimination Act before turning around and saying he opposed ENDA. And on relationship recognition, he once indicated he supported domestic partnerships but as a presidential candidate he's signed on to the agenda of the National Organization for Marriage. By aligning himself with NOM, Romney isn't just agreeing to support a federal marriage amendment and the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act — he's even throwing his support behind a McCarthy-like commission to investigate allegations of "harassment" against NOM's rabidly anti-LGBT supporters.
"Mitt Romney is someone that voters just can't trust," said Solmonese. "The only thing clear about his record is his willingness to say or do anything to get elected."
This article shared 3236 times since Tue Mar 6, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Brittney Griner pleads to Biden for release 2022-07-05|
- Brittney Griner has appealed to President Joe Biden in a letter passed to the White House through her representatives, NPR reported. In the letter, Griner said she feared she might never return home and asked that ...
|WORLD KyivPride, Romanian bill, marriage items, Cynthia Erivo 2022-07-03|
- Ukraine's largest LGBTQ+-rights event, KyivPride, went ahead as a peace marchin Warsaw, Poland, CNBC reported. It joined Warsaw's yearly Equality Parade, the largest such event in central Europe, using it as a platform to keep international ...
|Rapinoe, Biles among Medal of Freedom honorees 2022-07-02|
- Out lesbian soccer player Megan Rapinoe and famed gymnast Simone Biles are among 17 people who will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Joe Biden, media outlets noted. Some of the other honorees include ...
|New MAP analysis: How states rank on voting & democracy compared to LGBTQ equality 2022-07-01|
-- From a press release - As we wrap up Pride Month, we at the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) are sharing new analyses utilizing our LGBTQ Equality Maps, which track 50+ LGBTQ state laws and policies, and our new Democracy Maps, which ...
|Chicago LGBTQ+ leaders, activists reflect on Pride Month at event state Sen. Simmons hosts 2022-06-30|
- On June 29, Illinois first out gay state senator, Mike Simmons, hosted a press conference featuring Chicago LGBTQ+ leaders and activists at Gerber/Hart Library and Archives. Speakers included Simmons; Gerber/Hart ...
|LPAC endorses Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot for re-election 2022-06-30|
-- From a press release - LPWashington, DC — LPAC, the national political organization dedicated to electing more LGBTQ women to public office, announced today it has endorsed Lori Lightfoot as she seeks re-election as Mayor of Chicago. LPAC is committed to ...
| Lightfoot's Women's Advisory Council releases report on economic impacts of COVID on Chicago women 2022-06-30|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot's Women's Advisory Council (WAC), in partnership with World Business Chicago, Women Employed, and Civic Consulting Alliance, published Creating a More Equitable Recovery: Addressing ...
|Wisconsin governor challenges abortion ban 2022-06-29|
- Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers and Attorney General Josh Kaul have filed a lawsuit seeking to block the state's 173-year-old ban on abortions, asking a state court to declare the law unenforceable, ABC 7 Chicago reported. In ...
|ELECTIONS LGBTQ+ primary candidates experience varied results 2022-06-29|
- LGBTQ+ candidates running for office in the 2022 primary contests throughout Illinois got mixed results, according to results as of June 29. In the 13th District, state Rep. and House Majority Leader Greg Harris is stepping ...
|Survey: Americans hold complex views on gender identity and trans+ Issues 2022-06-29|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 28, 2022) — As the United States addresses issues of transgender rights and the broader landscape around gender identity continues to shift, the American public holds a complex set of views around these ...
|2022 PRIMARY ELECTIONS Pritzker, Jackson, Bailey among winners 2022-06-29|
- The Illinois primary elections took place June 28—and there was a mix of the expected and the surprising. In the governor's race, incumbent JB Pritzker easily won the Democratic primary over Beverly Miles (93% ...
|Equal Employment Opportunity Commission adds X gender marker to charge intake process 2022-06-28|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) announced today full implementation of the opportunity to select a nonbinary "X" gender marker during the intake process for filing a charge of discrimination. "By adding a ...
|ELECTIONS Giannoulias speaks about secretary of state contest 2022-06-27|
- Former State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias has been mounting a primary run to be Illinois secretary of state. Giannoulias, who held the office from 2007-2011 and ran for the U.S. Senate in 2010 (he lost to former ...
|Politicians attend Equality Illinois' pre-Parade reception 2022-06-27|
- Before Chicago's 2022 Pride Parade, Equality Illinois held a reception for elected officials, candidates and community leaders at Fat Cat Bar. Among those who were slated to attend were Gov. JB Pritzker and First Lady MK ...
|U.S. House passes resolution urging Griner's release 2022-06-26|
- The U.S. House passed a bipartisan resolution calling on the Russian government to immediately release WNBA star Brittney Griner, CNN reported. "Not a day goes by that we aren't thinking of Brittney and working to get ...