WINDY CITY TIMES
||HRC site looks at Romney's flip-flops on LGBT issues
From a news release
This article shared 3209 times since Tue Mar 6, 2012
Washington — Showcasing Mitt Romney's constantly changing positions on issues important to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans, the Human Rights Campaign today launched a new website to educate voters about the former Massachusetts Governor's record. "Mitt 'N Match" cleverly allows users to see his various stances on open military service, workplace non-discrimination and relationship recognition. The site is at www.MittNMatch.com .
"Mitt Romney changes positions on LGBT issues more often than he changes clothes," said HRC President Joe Solmonese. "It is mind boggling that someone can go from once saying he would be more pro-gay than Ted Kennedy to signing a draconian pledge sponsored by the National Organization for Marriage."
On "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," the site outlines his original opposition to the ban on gay servicemembers to his statements supporting DADT. On workplace non-discrimination, he promised to co-sponsor the Employment Non-Discrimination Act before turning around and saying he opposed ENDA. And on relationship recognition, he once indicated he supported domestic partnerships but as a presidential candidate he's signed on to the agenda of the National Organization for Marriage. By aligning himself with NOM, Romney isn't just agreeing to support a federal marriage amendment and the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act — he's even throwing his support behind a McCarthy-like commission to investigate allegations of "harassment" against NOM's rabidly anti-LGBT supporters.
"Mitt Romney is someone that voters just can't trust," said Solmonese. "The only thing clear about his record is his willingness to say or do anything to get elected."
This article shared 3209 times since Tue Mar 6, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBTQ Victory Fund endorses 20 more LGBTQ candidates 2022-05-26|
-- From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, endorsed 20 more out LGBTQ candidates. Victory Fund has now endorsed 292 candidates running in the 2022 ...
|Governor Pritzker, Lt. Governor Stratton comment on Texas tragedy 2022-05-25|
-- From a press release - Chicago In the wake of a mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, that killed at least 19 students and two adults, Governor JB Pritzker and Lt. Governor Juliana Stratton released the following ...
|Indiana institutes anti-trans sports ban, overrides Holcomb's veto 2022-05-25|
- The Indiana General Assembly overturned Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb's veto of House Bill 1041, which prohibits transgender girls from playing girls school sports, according to the IndyStar. The House voted to override the veto 67-28; the ...
|Pritzker signs measure protecting Illinoisans with disabilities in housing, state government 2022-05-23|
-- From a press release - Chicago— Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed HB2775 and SB180 into law today, expanding protections for Illinoisans with disabilities in state government and housing. HB2775 amends the Illinois Human Rights Act ...
|Equality Florida Executive Director Nadine Smith named to Time100 List 2022-05-23|
-- From a press release - St. Petersburg, FL — TIME named Equality Florida Executive Director Nadine Smith to the 2022 TIME100, its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world. The full list and related tributes appear in ...
|NATIONAL Idaho groups, Clay Aiken, Radio Milwaukee, Louisville school 2022-05-22|
- In northern Idaho, two groups with different agendas plan to hold events on the same day (June 11) at Coeur d'Alene City Parkand both organizations have issued statements, according to the Bonner County Daily Bee. The ...
|WORLD Nigeria protest, 'Flag in the Map,' Belgium, McDonald's 2022-05-22|
- Dressed in rainbow-colored vests, members of the LGBTQ+ community marched in a dangerous demonstration in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to protest a bill introduced by lawmakers in Nigeria's lower house of parliament last month seeking to ban ...
|Penn. LGBTQ+ candidates mostly suffer losses on primary night 2022-05-21|
- LGBTQ+ candidates running for the U.S. Senate, U.S. House, lieutenant governor and a seat in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in Philadelphia's "gayborhood" each lost their races in the Keystone State's May 17 Democratic primary, The ...
|POLITICS GOP candidate Irvin called Trump an 'idiot,' backed LGBTQ+s 2022-05-16|
- GOP gubernatorial candidate and current Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin has dodged talking about former U.S. President Donald Trump (and many other topics)but recently revealed records show how Irvin reportedly felt ...
|Police officer enters Chicago mayoral race 2022-05-16|
- Longtime Chicago police officer Frederick Collins has jumped into the Chicago mayoral raceand it's not his first. Collins also ran for mayor eight years ago. His 2014 interview with Windy ...
|WORLD Eswatini ruling, Toronto deaths, Greece, blood donations 2022-05-15|
- The High Court in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland) rejected an appeal for legal recognition by the local LGBTQ+-rights group Eswatini Sexual & Gender Minorities, citing "laws … prevailing in the kingdom" ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|Pro-choice coalition to rally May 14 in Chicago's Union Park 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - 'Rally for Abortion Justice,' part of a nationwide 'Bans Off Our Bodies' day of action will takes place in Union Park, 1501 W. Randolph St. on Saturday, May 14 at 9:30 a.m. The crowd may be 25,000 strong according to organizers. ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation addressing rise in organized retail thefts 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — On May 13, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker joined Attorney General Kwame Raoul, lawmakers, advocates and law-enforcement officials to sign legislation designed to combat a nationwide rise in coordinated retail thefts. "This new law represents ...