WINDY CITY TIMES
||HIV-criminalization panel Feb. 15
This article shared 581 times since Wed Feb 14, 2018
Legal Health Council for Justice and TPAN will co-host "HIV Criminalization: Beyond Shame and Stigma" on Thursday, Feb. 15, at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., 6:30-8:30 p.m.
The event will include panelist Dr. Trevor Hoppe of State University of New York (SUNY)-Albany, whose recently published book, Punishing Disease, addresses this topic. Other panelists will include Sex Workers Outreach Project's Caitlin Barlow; and Maurice Chapman, formerly of South Suburban HIV/AIDS Regional Clinics.
Visit "HIV Criminalization: Beyond Shame & Stigma" on Eventbrite.com .
This article shared 581 times since Wed Feb 14, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|HRC Foundation launches national HIV/AIDS campaign
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation announced the launch of "My Body, My Health," a comprehensive public education campaign that works toward building a generation free of HIV/AIDS and stigma. ...
|HIV/AIDS AFC, Getting to Zero award $350K in grants
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) joined Getting to Zero Illinois (GTZ-IL) in announcing the grant recipients for the first-ever Getting to Zero Illinois Community Grant Program—a pool of grants totaling $350,000. ...
|New book sets the record straight on Act Up New York 2021-06-10|
- Novelist, playwright, nonfiction writer, journalist, screenwriter, LGBTQ+-rights activist and AIDS historian Sarah Schuman preserves the power of the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP) while laying everything out about ...
|When crime goes viral 2021-06-10|
- Activists say Illinois's law that makes it illegal to expose others to HIV is racist and homophobic. Now they're close to changing it.
In early 2016, Jimmy Amutavi had what he considered a happy life. More ...
|HIV at 40: Erie Family Health Center, focused on helping at-risk communities 2021-06-10|
- HIV/AIDS disproportionately affects Black communities—with Black gay and bisexual Black men and Black trans women being the most affected population than any other group in the country. More specifically, one in two Black MSM (men who ...
|HIV at 40: Dr. Anthony Fauci on the early days of another pandemic 2021-06-10|
- Dr. Anthony Fauci has been called "America's doctor"and with good reason. His face and advice regarding COVID have seemingly been omnipresent since the virus affected the masses early in 2020. However, decades before the word "coronavirus" ...
|National AIDS Memorial brings leaders of AIDS movement together to mark 40 years 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - San Francisco (Saturday, June 5, 2021) — Leaders of the AIDS movement came together in the National AIDS Memorial — the nation's federally-designated memorial to AIDS — to mark forty years since the first cases of ...
|Harold J. Phillips appointed director of the White House Office of National AIDS Policy 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - Statement from Jeffrey S. Crowley, distinguished scholar and director of the Infectious Disease Initiatives at the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University Law Center: I applaud President Biden's appointment of ...
|Mayor Lightfoot helps break ground at AIDS Garden Chicago 2021-06-02|
- On June 2, various local officials, including Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, helped break ground at the AIDS Garden Chicago—the city's first public park to memorialize the early days of Chicago's HIV epidemic, and to honor those ...
|Incarceration for HIV crimes in Georgia cost the state $9 million 2021-06-02|
--From a press release - Between 1999-2020, as many as 133 people were incarcerated in Georgia prisons for HIV-related crimes New analysis from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that as many as 133 people have been incarcerated ...
|Kelsey Louie to step down as CEO of GMHC 2021-05-31|
- After seven years leading the New York City-based HIV/AIDS services organization GMHC (formerly known as Gay Men's Health Crisis), Kelsey Louie is stepping down, Gay City News reported. According to a Facebook post, Louie is planning ...
|WORLD Twitch, AIDS activist dies, Europe and LGBTQ laws, India hearing 2021-05-30|
- COMPILED BY WCT STAFF The world's largest game streaming service, Twitch, said that players will be able to add a transgender label to their videosa move the company said would aid inclusion among its 30 million ...
|Senate approves Peters' HIV decriminalization proposal 2021-05-25|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — Illinoisans living with human immunodeficiency virus will soon be free from fear of criminal prosecution after a measure sponsored by State Senator Robert Peters (D-Chicago) cleared its final ...
|MOVIES/TV Billy Porter reveals he's been HIV-positive for 14 years 2021-05-19|
- In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, award-winning actor/singer Billy Porter (TV's Pose) revealed he's been living with HIV for almost 15 years, NBC News noted. "This is what HIV-positive looks like now. I'm going to ...
|NATIONAL Conversion therapy, AIDS event, COVID measure, gay Republican, UNO 2021-05-16|
- In Kentucky, the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council voted unanimously to ban conversion therapy for LGBTQ minors, LEX18.com reported. The vote made Lexington the third city in Kentucky, along with Louisville and Covington, to ban the controversial ...