||HIV/AIDS Lottery Bill Passes Ill. House
This article shared 3923 times since Fri Jun 1, 2007
\ Illinois House Bill 315, a measure that would create a 'Quality of Life' fund to help HIV/AIDS prevention and education efforts, passed the state House of Representatives on May 2, according to a press release from State Rep. Karen Yarbrough, D-Maywood, who is sponsoring the bill.
The vote was 66-49, according to the General Assembly Web site.
'HIV and AIDS have exploded in minority communities and, as a result, we have a great need to targent prevention funding to these communities,' Yarbrough said in the statement.
The measure, which has more than 30 House members as its co-sponsors, has moved to the Senate for consideration.
This article shared 3923 times since Fri Jun 1, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AFC's World of Chocolate on Feb. 17 2023-01-02|
- After a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will host the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, Feb. 17, at Union Station, 225 S. Canal St. This event features a menu ...
|Chicago activist Jeff Berry discusses advocacy for aging persons living with HIV 2022-12-08|
- For longtime Chicago activist Jeff Berry, becoming the first executive director of the Reunion Project—a national alliance centering aging persons living with HIV, which Berry co-founded in 2015—was a significant ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|PRCC-VIDA/SIDA event marks World AIDS Day with Vigil and Baton show 2022-12-05|
- On Dec. 1, the Puerto Rican Community Center (PRCC) and Vida/SIDA celebrated World AIDS Day with a candlelight vigil in the afternoon and a commemorative show at The Baton Show Lounge in the evening. The earlier ...
|Chicago's sweetest party and fundraiser, World of Chocolate returns In-person Feb. 17 at Union Station 2022-12-05|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Glitz, glamour and chocolate…after a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) proudly announces the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, February 17 at Union Station ...
|Cleve Jones, founder of AIDS Memorial Quilt, honored with Lifetime of Commitment Award on World AIDS Day 2022-12-03|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA (Nov. 30 & Dec. 1, 2022) — The National AIDS Memorial marked World AIDS Day with a national observance at the 10-acre National AIDS Memorial Grove in San Francisco, honoring AIDS activist and founder of the AIDS Memorial Quilt ...
|Pritzker administration announces highly effective HIV treatment coming to Illinois in 2023 2022-12-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Governor JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) announced today on World AIDS Day that a new, long-acting HIV treatment called Cabenuva will become available to thousands of ...
|World AIDS Day: GLAAD releases 2022 State of HIV Stigma Study 2022-12-01|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY - December 1, 2022) GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is releasing its third annual State of HIV Stigma ...
|Peppermint barks while Broadway bangs, and all the other dish to start the week 2022-11-28|
- "I love Broadway. I love what they do—Broadway Cares, but I also want to say the show is extraordinary!" —Nicole Kidman's impromptu speech after bidding $100K to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for Hugh Jackman's hat after ...
|Lambda Legal challenges anti-HIV military policy 2022-11-13|
- Lambda Legal filed a legal challenge to the U.S. military policy that prevents people living with HIV from enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, according to a press release. The current policy requires that applicants for ...
|National AIDS Memorial names 2022-2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders Scholarship recipients 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, California, Nov. 09, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The National AIDS Memorial has announced its 2022/2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders scholars, its largest and most diverse class ever, providing ...
|Sheryl Lee Ralph producing HIV/AIDS documentary 2022-10-29|
- Recent Emmy winner Sheryl Lee Ralph has signed on to produce Unexpected, a documentary short about women of color living with HIV in the South, Variety reported. Directed by Zeberiah Newman, the film will chronicle Masonia ...
|LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH Podcast sheds light on forgotten murders of gay men in Montreal 2022-10-22|
- When people ask about or Google the murders of gay men in Montreal in the '90s, it all leads to the podcast "The Village: The Montreal Murders." LGBTQ+-rights advocates encouraged me to listen to the podcast. ...
|ViiV announces recipients of largest U.S. fund for HIV prevention in Black women 2022-10-10|
- ViiV Healthcare announced the recipients of an $8-million investment to increase awareness and action around HIV prevention and care for Black women, according to a press release via CSR Wire. Funding will support community programs focused ...
|CDPH report: New HIV, AIDS diagnoses at lowest points since the 1980s; other STIs rise 2022-10-06|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — The number of Chicagoans newly diagnosed with HIV and AIDS in 2020 was at the lowest level in four decades, according to a comprehensive new HIV and STI (sexually transmitted infections) report from the ...