||Guild Complex event with Hollander, Niffenegger and more
From a news release
This article shared 2920 times since Tue Apr 3, 2012
( MAY 2012 ) Chicago's Guild Literary Complex hosts an evening of celebration of the arts with its 3rd Annual Benefit "Illuminate". The event features appetizers, cocktails, mingling, and a showcase and moderated discussion on the art and craft of graphic novels by Nicole Hollander creator of the cartoon strip SYLVIA, Audrey Niffenegger, graphic novelist of The Night Bookmobile and author of The Time Traveler's Wife, C. Spike Trotman, creator of webcomics "Sparkneedle," "Lucas and Odessa," and "Templar, Arizona," and Chris Ware graphic novelist of Jimmy Corriganthe Smartest Kid on Earth. The Guild Literary Complex, a community-based literary organization, presents diverse, divergent, and emerging voices through innovative programs including performances and readings. We believe that vibrant literature contributes to society and community, and that people should have access to quality literary experiences that engage them with dynamic juxtapositions of voices and ideas. It will take place Tuesday, May 8th from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm at the DePaul Art Museum, 935 W Fullerton, Chicago. Tickets start at $75, and a limited number of discounted $50 tickets and $20 student tickets are also available. The RSVP deadline is April 13, 2012. Audiences of all backgrounds and languages are welcome. To reserve tickets visit www.guildcomplex.org .
DATE: Tuesday, May 8, 2012
WHERE: DePaul Art Museum, 935 W Fullerton, Chicago
ADMISSION: Tickets starting at $75 ( some $50 and $20 tickets also available )
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS:
Nicole Hollander is best known for her cartoon strip SYLVIA, which appears daily and weekly in more than 30 newspapers across the country, including The Boston Globe, The Berkeley Daily Planet, Women's eNews Online and The Houston Chronicle ( online ) .
Audrey Niffenegger's most recent graphic book is The Night Bookmobile, originally serialized in the London Guardian in 2008. Her first novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, ( MacAdam/Cage, 2003 ) was a New York Times bestseller and received a British Book Award in 2005 and was adapted into a movie by New Line Cinema in 2009.
C. Spike Trotman Spike is not an alias. After moving to Chicago Spike began making webcomics: "Sparkneedle" was experimental, "Lucas and Odessa" was slice of life, and "Templar, Arizona" is culture fiction. Her other comic projects include "Poorcraft," a comic book guide to living well on less, and "Smut Peddler," a woman-friendly, lady-centric comic book porno anthology.
Chris Ware's graphic novel Jimmy Corrigan the Smartest Kid on Earth ( Pantheon, 2000 ) received an American Book Award in 2000 and the Guardian First Book Award in 2001. Ware is also a contributor to The New Yorker and was the cartoonist chosen to inaugurate the New York Times Magazine's "Funny Pages" section in late 2005.
ABOUT THE GUILD: The Guild Literary Complex, a community-based literary organization, presents and supports diverse, divergent, and emerging voices through innovative programs including performances and readings. These include bilingual poetry through Palabra Pura, literary conversation with Bring Your Own People, and the open-submission Gwendolyn Brooks Open Mic Award and Prose Awards for Short Fiction and Non-Fiction. We believe that vibrant literature contributes to society and community, and that people should have access to quality literary experiences that engage them with dynamic juxtapositions of voices and ideas. Since its formation, the Guild Complex has established itself, in the words of the Illinois Arts Council, as Chicago's premiere literary center. The Complex has twice been selected as a model literary center by the National Endowment for the Arts.
This article shared 2920 times since Tue Apr 3, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Equality Illinois CEO Brian C. Johnson on new book, 'Our Fair Share' 2021-09-22|
- In Equality Illinois CEO Brian C. Johnson's new book, Our Fair Share: How One Small Change Can Create a More Equitable American Economy, he posits that receiving a Citizen Dividend will help all U.S. residents achieve ...
|BOOKS 'Mission Possible' released before 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anniversary 2021-09-20|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), has written Mission Possible: The Story of the Repealing 'Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is the inside story of SLDN, which was ...
|Women & Children First hosting virtual event with Anita Hill on Sept. 29 2021-09-11|
- Anita Hillthe University Professor of Social Policy, Law, and Women's and Gender Studies at Brandeis University who played a major role in the 1991 Senate confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomaswill be part ...
|Chicago Literary Hall of Fame announces 2021 class of new inductees 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, August 17, 2021 — The Chicago Literary Hall of Fame (CLHOF) announced that its 2021 Class of Inductees will include Frank London Brown, Jeanette Howard Foster, Carlos Cortez, and Gene Wolfe. The inductees will be ...
|Chicago-area author releases book about gay, autistic African-American 2021-08-18|
- PenPower Book Marketing Services and Chicago-area author Jaire Sims have released his debut young adult novel, Getting By, which was named a finalist in the African American (Fiction) category in the 2021 Next Generation Indie Book ...
|Printers Row Lit Fest returns to Chicago Sept. 11-12 2021-08-12|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (August 12, 2021) Printers Row Lit Fest, the largest free outdoor literary showcase in the Midwest, returns for its 36th year with 100% free programming for book lovers the weekend after Labor Day, Saturday, Sept. ...
|THEATER REVIEW Rent 2021-08-10|
- Playwright: book, music and lyrics by Jonathan Larson At: Possibilities Theatre Company at NorthCenter Town Square, 4100 N. Damen Ave. Tickets: suggested donation $20; https://www.eventcombo.com/e/rent-43212 or ...
|Equality Illinois' new deputy director talks goals, position and books 2021-08-01|
- On July 15, Mony Ruiz-Velasco officially started in the new position of Equality Illinois' deputy director. Ruiz-Velasco is an experienced attorney who has worked for immigrants rights for many years, and has even been the legal ...
|Gerber/Hart comedy benefit Sept. 18 2021-07-31|
- Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John D'Emilio. Also, a ...
|NATIONAL Amazon, condo collapse, T-shirt controversy, GLSEN 2021-07-18|
- At least two Amazon employees have resigned in recent weeks to protest the company's decision to continue to sell a book they say frames young people who identify as transgender as mentally ill, NBC News reported. ...
|BOOKS Author, activist Roy Wesley on his new book about his father 2021-07-12|
- Gay Chicago author, activist and Fermalogic, Inc. COO Roy Wesley has written a new book about his father—Invisible Vision: The hidden story of Dr. Newton K. Wesley, American contact-lens pioneer. Windy City Times: What made you ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pray Away,' film contest, LGBTQ book, musicians, 'Star Trek' 2021-07-11|
- The new Netflix Original Documentary Pray Away, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum, will make its global launch on the platform Aug. 3, a press release noted. In the film, former leaders of the ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes on TV, trans jazz musician, book award, 'Red Table Talk' 2021-06-27|
- Wanda Sykes has been tapped for a recurring role in the upcoming fifth season of Robert and Michelle King's legal drama The Good Fight, on Paramount+, Deadline noted. She will play Allegra Duradoa brilliant, strategic attorney ...
|BOOKS Grandma, Grace Jones are heroes in non-binary author's children's book
- Non-binary author, alternative hip hop artist, mother and activist Ris iRAWniQ Anderson has published the children's book in Charlie's Best Work Yet. Charlie's Best Work Yet tells the semi-autobiographical story of Charliea shy, artistic ...
|New book: Majority Leader Hoyer unsung hero of Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal 2021-06-22|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — In a new book, LGBTQ Lobbying in the United States, authored by Dr. Christopher Pepin-Neff, LGBTQ researcher and Senior Lecturer in Public Policy at the University of Sydney and first lobbyist for Don't ...