WINDY CITY TIMES
||Groundbreaking drag-queen ministry candidate speaks at Illinois UMC
This article shared 3211 times since Fri Apr 16, 2021
Hope United Methodist Church (in Bloomington, Illinois) celebrated Drag Sunday on April 11 with a message from Ms. Penny Cost, Religion News Service reported.
The Illinois Great Rivers Conference's Vermillion River District Committee on Ordained Ministry recently unanimously certified Hope Church's project and remote learning coordinator, 23-year-old Isaac Simmons, aka Cost, as a candidate for ministry in the United Methodist Church (UMC).
Simmons is the first openly gay man to be certified within the conference and is reportedly the first drag queen certified in the United Methodist Church.
He is only a year into what is about a five-year process to be ordained in the United Methodist Church, he said. His candidacy comes at a time when the UMC is deeply divided over issues related to the inclusion of its LGBTQ members.
The denomination is expected to consider a proposal to split when its global decision-making body, the General Conference, meets over nine days in August and September 2022 in Minneapolis.
See the full article at religionnews.com/2021/04/15/first-drag-queen-certified-as-a-candidate-for-united-methodist-ministry-speaking-in-a-new-way-to-new-people/ .
This article shared 3211 times since Fri Apr 16, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Suburban priest once again faces sexual-assault allegations 2022-09-18|
- A priest in the Chicago suburbs is on leave once again after sexual-assault allegations have been leveled against him, according to ABC 7 Chicago. Father David Ryan, the pastor at Lake Zurich's Saint Francis de Sales ...
|Texas judge: Mandated PrEP coverage violates religious freedom 2022-09-08|
- On Sept. 7, a federal judge in Texas (U.S. District Judge Reed O'Connor) ruled that the government cannot force a Christian-owned company to cover HIV preventative medication (HIV PrEP) because it violates their religious freedom under ...
|Indiana Supreme Court upholds firing of gay Catholic-school teacher 2022-09-01|
- The Indiana Supreme Court ruled on Aug. 31 that the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indiana was within its rights to direct the termination of a Catholic-school teacher who was married to a person of the same ...
|Lake View church vandalized over pro-abortion stance 2022-08-26|
- A Lakeview church was vandalized Aug. 24 by two women who appeared to be upset by its sign backing reproductive rights, Block Club Chicago reported. Second Unitarian Church of Chicago, 656 W. Barry Ave., put up ...
|Homeless-services agency Care for Friends temporarily moves to Edgewater 2022-08-02|
- Care for Friends, a Chicago-based homeless-services program, has temporarily moved to Edgewater after being in Lincoln Park for 54 years, according to a press release. The program is now based at the Church of the Atonement, ...
|LETTERS The Church should practice love and constructive dialogue, not hate 2022-07-25|
- Another U.S. diocese has issued new restrictive policies regarding LGBTQ issues in Catholic schools, and its new directives compare being openly transgender with sexual abuse. The Roman Catholic Church is having an internal dialogue on how ...
|NATIONAL Miami textbooks, Lia Thomas, Florida churches, Key West figure dies 2022-07-24|
- Miami-Dade County students could go months without sex-education books after school board members, by a five-to-four vote, rejected two proposed textbooks over concerns they violate the state's Parental Rights in Education bill, known by opponents as ...
|Pride in the Pews panel event covers the Black church and LGBTQ+ people 2022-07-13|
- The Pride in the Pews event "'Don't Ask, Don't Tell': The Black Church and the LGBTQ+ Community" took place July 7 at First Presbyterian Church of Chicago, 6400 S. Kimbark Ave. Among other topics, the panel ...
|'The Black Church and the LGBTQ+ Community' panel on July 7 2022-07-03|
- The Pride in the Pews event "'Don't Ask, Don't Tell': The Black Church and the LGBTQ+ Community" will take place Thursday, July 7, 5:30-7 p.m., at First Presbyterian Church of Chicago, 6400 S. Kimbark Ave. The ...
|Controversial pastor Rev. James Meeks announces retirement 2022-06-20|
- Salem Baptist Church Senior Pastor Rev. James Meeks announced he is retiring next January. The church has more than 9,000 members, according to its website. The vision statement is that Salem is "a multi-generational church focused ...
|Pride Flag arsons raise alarm, church leaders say 2022-06-19|
-- From a Metropolitan Community Church press release - The intentional burning of two LGBT Pride flags in Baltimore earlier this week resulted in three people being seriously injured and significant damage to multiple homes, and leaders of the Metropolitan Community Church (MCC) are expressing ...
|Catholic publisher cancels Chicago theologian's 'Queer God de Amor' book 2022-06-13|
- On June 9, New Ways Ministry received the following statement by Miguel Diaz, a former U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See and the John Courtney Murray, S.J., University Chair in Public Service at Loyola University Chicago. ...
|VIEWPOINT: LETTERS Pride: Remembering who we are 2022-05-30|
- The LGBTQAI community echoes the mantra of secular society: Happiness comes from sex, money and power. Life is too busy with work and leisure to have time for religion and/or values. During this period of Pride ...
|Church of Scotland votes to allow same-sex marriages 2022-05-28|
- The Church of Scotland has voted to allow same-sex marriages after recent warnings that its historical opposition had increased the church's decline toward irrelevance, The Guardian reported. The church's general assembly voted 274-136 to allow it ...
|VIEWS Another 'Handmaid's Tale,' or sex and the supreme Catholics 2022-05-24|
- Amy Vivian Coney Barrett was confirmed as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court by the U.S. Senate on Oct. 26, 2020. Barrett is only the fifth woman ever to serve on the Court. She is also the sixth Catholic ...