WINDY CITY TIMES
||Groundbreaking drag-queen ministry candidate speaks at Illinois UMC
This article shared 2682 times since Fri Apr 16, 2021
Hope United Methodist Church (in Bloomington, Illinois) celebrated Drag Sunday on April 11 with a message from Ms. Penny Cost, Religion News Service reported.
The Illinois Great Rivers Conference's Vermillion River District Committee on Ordained Ministry recently unanimously certified Hope Church's project and remote learning coordinator, 23-year-old Isaac Simmons, aka Cost, as a candidate for ministry in the United Methodist Church (UMC).
Simmons is the first openly gay man to be certified within the conference and is reportedly the first drag queen certified in the United Methodist Church.
He is only a year into what is about a five-year process to be ordained in the United Methodist Church, he said. His candidacy comes at a time when the UMC is deeply divided over issues related to the inclusion of its LGBTQ members.
The denomination is expected to consider a proposal to split when its global decision-making body, the General Conference, meets over nine days in August and September 2022 in Minneapolis.
See the full article at religionnews.com/2021/04/15/first-drag-queen-certified-as-a-candidate-for-united-methodist-ministry-speaking-in-a-new-way-to-new-people/ .
This article shared 2682 times since Fri Apr 16, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Report: Southern Baptist Convention leaders mishandled allegations of sexual abuse 2022-05-23|
- A bombshell report stated that leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) mishandled allegations of sexual abuse, intimidated victims and their advocates, and resisted attempts at reform over the course ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|LGBTQ Religious Archives Network holds 'AIDS, Activism and American Christianity' webinar 2022-05-12|
- LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) held an "AIDS, Activism and American Christianity: A Conversation" virtual webinar on May 5. The event focused on Christian activism during the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1980s and ...
|VIEWS Dignity/Chicago celebrates 50 years of ministry 2022-05-06|
- It was 1972 and it was dangerous to be gay or lesbian. One could be arrested, publicly humiliated or fired from one's job. Even finding safety in the emerging bar scene was hazardous. Added to that ...
|LGBTQ Catholic resource Outreach launches 2022-05-02|
- Outreacha new website designed to help LGBTQ Catholics, their families and friends, and those who minister to them in the churchhas launched. Outreach will publish news stories and essays from around the world; offer a resource ...
|United Methodist Church splitting over LGBTQ acceptance 2022-05-02|
- Theologically conservative Methodists have broken away from the United Methodist Church (UMC) over LGBTQ acceptance. According to a king5.com item, the breakaway denomination, called the Global Methodist Church, formed because ...
|Chicago Archdiocese settles with sex-abuse accusers 2022-04-27|
- A settlement has been reached between the Archdiocese of Chicago and five people who accused five separate priests of sexual abuse—including a high-profile priest who passed away in 2019, ABC ...
|WORLD Conference canceled, Catholic event, India bills, Gertrude Stein 2022-04-10|
- The United Kingdom canceled its first-ever international LGBTQ+ conference after a boycott by more than 100 organizations, the BBC reported. "Safe To Be Me" was scheduled to take place in London in June to promote LGBTQ+ ...
|LETTERS A difference in opinion about Vatican document 2022-04-07|
- I am responding to DignityUSA Executive Director Marianne Duddy-Burks, who issued a press release that Windy City Times published. A newly released document from the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education could trigger a new wave of ...
|VIEWPOINT On A Scale of 1 to 10: Sex, Religion, Power, Politics--A Public Meditation 2022-04-03|
- QUESTION: "On a scale of one to 10, how faithful would you say you are, in terms of religion?"—U.S Sen. Lindsey Graham (R), South Carolina RESPONSE: "… there's no religious test in the Constitution under Article ...
|THEATER REVIEW It's Just Like Coming to Church (Welcome to the Church of YOU) 2022-04-02|
- Don't be fooled by the title. The Gospel of Jackie Taylor is not constructed on Old Rugged Crosses, Poor Wayfaring Strangers or Walks Through Lonesome Valleys. To be sure, there's a collection box at the entrance, ...
|DignityUSA: New Vatican document on education could increase exclusion of LGBTQI people 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - March 31, 2022—A newly released document from the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education could make it even more difficult for LGBTQI people to be part of the Catholic school system and could trigger a new wave ...
|WORLD Religious leaders, Canadian monument, Sri Lanka, Ukrainian clinics 2022-03-27|
- More than 150 senior religious leaders from around the globe have committed to protecting LGBTQ+ people in faith communities, according to PinkNews. A "revolutionary" set of safeguarding principles were set out by the 2022 conference of ...
|VIEWS Putin's war and anti-queer Christian nationalism 2022-03-15|
- 'Don't Say Gay' bill clears Florida Senate awaiting signature of Governor Ron De Santis (March 08, 2022). Texas attorney general Ken Paxton issues legal opinion classifying gender-affirming medical care for ...
|Vatican official to speak during virtual LGBTQ+ event 2022-03-11|
- In what may be the first time a Vatican official speak with an LGBTQ+ audience, the Mount Rainier, Maryland-based LGBTQ+ Catholic group New Ways Ministry announced that a French nun who serves as the undersecretary of ...