WINDY CITY TIMES
||Golda Goldbloom at Lavender University LGBTQ program Nov. 3
This article shared 2747 times since Sat Nov 2, 2013
Working For Queer Acceptance: Finding Love Amongst the Religious Right will be presented Sun. Nov. 3, 2013, 1pm-3pm, by Golda Goldbloom, writer, professor, mother of 8, trans mentor and queer activist.
Goldbloom's award winning fiction has been published internationally. Her novel, The Paperbark Shoe, won the AWP Novel Award and was the Independent Publishers Literary Novel of the Year. She is a professor of creative writing at Northwestern University, and the mother of eight children. Goldie was a contributor to the groundbreaking anthology Keep Your Wives Away From Them: Orthodox Women, Unorthodox Desires, and continues to work as an activist in the Orthodox Jewish community for queer inclusion. She is a mentor for transgender youth.
Lavender University is modeled on a project of the same name that operated for several years in the 1970s and 1980s, providing a wide range of interesting educational and skills-building programs.
For reservations see: community.centeronhalsted.org/lavenderuniversity .
Questions can be directed to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 2747 times since Sat Nov 2, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pritzker and Brady-Davis honored at Planned Parenthood gala 2023-09-17|
- On the evening of Sept. 14, Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA) and Planned Parenthood Illinois Action PAC (PPIA PAC) organizations presented their annual Fighting Forward Gala fundraiser. The event shone ...
|SAG-AFTRA and WGA join GLAAD in releasing Studio 11th Responsibility Index 2023-09-14|
--From a press release - HollywoodSept. 14, 2023 — GLAAD released its annual Studio Responsibility Index in a joint press event in Hollywood alongside the Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio ...
|HRC to host Chicago dinner, auction to support response to national state of LGBTQ+ emergency 2023-09-12|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. - September 8th - The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Chicago Steering Committee is proud to host its Annual - Human Rights Campaign Chicago Fundraising Dinner and Auction!! The Dinner and Auction will be held ...
|LGBTQ+ media welcome Press Forward nat'l media funds for local news innovation, survival 2023-09-12|
--From a press release - [CHICAGO] – Members of News Is Out, a collaborative of six legacy LGBTQ+ media organizations, have expressed support and excitement about the newly announced national Press Forward effort to support local media in the United States. ...
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago 2023 to draw thousands to Soldier Field on Sept. 30 2023-09-09|
- The AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Chicago's Soldier Field on Saturday, Sept. 30 to help create equity and justice across Chicagoland and raise awareness and funds for individuals who are living with or vulnerable ...
|NLGJA: Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists names Hall of Fame honorees 2023-09-07|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. — Today, NLGJA: The Association of LGBTQ+ Journalists announced that co-publishers Susan Horowitz and Jan Stevenson, publisher Franco Stevens, and journalist James B. Stewart are the 2023 inductees ...
|On the (gay) horizon: Center on Halsted marks 50 years 2023-09-06|
- In 1973, a group of Chicagoans organized a telephone hotline, which they named Helpline, allowing the community to more easily find and assist one another. This was a time when LGBTQ+ bars were still regularly raided ...
|After HRC's State of Emergency declaration, Canadian government recognizes threat of anti-LGBTQ+ legislation 2023-08-30|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON— Just two months after the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) issued a National State of Emergency in response to the unprecedented and dangerous onslaught of anti-LGBTQ laws passed across the country, the Canadian government has updated ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus leader speaks on group's diversity, 'Sporty Forty' 2023-08-29|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus (CGMC) is marking its 40th-anniversary season this year, and will start this milestone on Sept. 15-16 with "Sporty Forty," an event that is layered in meanings involving stereotypes and the group's ...
|Howard Brown Health reinstates workers following NLRB settlement recommendations 2023-08-29|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Aug. 29, 2023 — Howard Brown Health reinstated 25 employees as part of a plan to follow the recommendations outlined in a proposed settlement from Region 13 of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). The ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|African American Arts Alliance of Chicago names new president for first time in 25 years 2023-08-21|
--From a press release - CHICAGOThe nonprofit African American Arts Alliance of Chicago announced Charlique C. Rolle as its new board president, effective immediately. Rolle is the first new president in the Alliance's 26-year history ...
|LGBTQ+ Chicagoans mark 30 years in Bud Billiken Parade 2023-08-13|
By Vernon Hester and Matt Simonette - The annual Bud Billiken Parade kicked off on the morning of Aug. 12, carrying on the tradition of starting the school year with a celebration. Hailed as the largest African American parade in the country—and the ...
|Center on Halsted leaders discuss transition and organization's future 2023-08-12|
- In March—after a 15-year tenure that was productive but also controversial in spots—Modesto Tico Valle officially stepped down from his position as CEO of Center on Halsted, the largest LGBTQ+ ...
|Chicago House indulges in Champagne Wrapture 2023-08-06|
- Chicago House's annual fundraiser, Champagne Wrapture, returned to the Windy City the evening of Aug. 3. The event was held at 600 N. Fairbanks Court on the rooftop deck and featured a silent auction, free-flowing champagne, ...