WINDY CITY TIMES
||Golda Goldbloom at Lavender University LGBTQ program Nov. 3
This article shared 2660 times since Sat Nov 2, 2013
Working For Queer Acceptance: Finding Love Amongst the Religious Right will be presented Sun. Nov. 3, 2013, 1pm-3pm, by Golda Goldbloom, writer, professor, mother of 8, trans mentor and queer activist.
Goldbloom's award winning fiction has been published internationally. Her novel, The Paperbark Shoe, won the AWP Novel Award and was the Independent Publishers Literary Novel of the Year. She is a professor of creative writing at Northwestern University, and the mother of eight children. Goldie was a contributor to the groundbreaking anthology Keep Your Wives Away From Them: Orthodox Women, Unorthodox Desires, and continues to work as an activist in the Orthodox Jewish community for queer inclusion. She is a mentor for transgender youth.
Lavender University is modeled on a project of the same name that operated for several years in the 1970s and 1980s, providing a wide range of interesting educational and skills-building programs.
For reservations see: community.centeronhalsted.org/lavenderuniversity .
Questions can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
This article shared 2660 times since Sat Nov 2, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|BREAKING Howard Brown Health nurses' strikes averted 2022-10-01|
- On Sept. 30, the Illinois Nurses Association (INA)—which represents 30 registered nurses who work at Howard Brown Health—reached a tentative agreement with the North Side clinic, averting a series of strikes slated to begin Monday, Oct. ...
|FashionBar hosting Chicago Fashion Week, PFLAG conference 2022-10-01|
- Fashion Bar announced that it's hosting Chicago Fashion Week. The shows will take place Oct. 16-23 at Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave. Additionally, FashionBar will host the. PFLAG Northern Illinois conference at Water Tower ...
|Trevor Project returns donation from controversial tech company 2022-09-30|
- The Trevor Project—a leading nonprofit devoted to the mental well-being of LGBTQ+ youth which wants "a world where all LGBTQ young people see a bright future for themselves," according to its website—has returned a donation from ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit on Oct. 15 2022-09-30|
- Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St., will hold its fall benefit on Saturday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m. "Unboxing Queer History LIVE!" will be an in-person event to celebrate and support its mission to ...
|31st annual AIDS Run & Walk, with the theme 'Forward Together,' returns this weekend 2022-09-30|
- The 31st annual AIDS Run & Walk returns to Chicago on Sunday, Oct. 2, in order to raise awareness about the disease and funds for the organizations that help people impacted by HIV/AIDS across the city. ...
|Chicago-area media to host joint fundraiser Oct. 3-17 2022-09-30|
Video below - CHICAGO —Nearly 40 independent Chicago-area media outlets, members of the Chicago Independent Media Alliance (CIMA), are joining forces for their third annual fundraising campaign kicking off next week. Under the ...
|GLAAD releases third annual 20 Under 20 list 2022-09-29|
-- From a press release - New York, NYGLAAD revealed its third annual 20 Under 20 list, spotlighting 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. GLAAD's ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago holding Women's Connection Summit of Hope on Oct. 6 2022-09-27|
-- From a press release - AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) is hosting a Women Connection Summit of Hope in partnership with the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) to address the needs of cis and transgender women who have been recently released from ...
|Howard Brown Health partners with Chicago Dancers United 2022-09-27|
-- From a press release - Howard Brown Health and Chicago Dancers United (CDU) have announced a partnership to improve healthcare outcomes for local dance community members. Through the partnership, Howard Brown will be the go-to ...
|Molson Coors donates $50,000 to 14 LGBTQ+ organizations through annual Tap Into Change program 2022-09-27|
- The beverage company Molson Coors presented $50,000 to 14 LGBTQ+ organizations at Sidetrack Sept. 26 as part of its 11th annual Tap Into Change program. Organizations partnered with local bars during the summer to raise money ...
|Palm Center to close permanently on Sept. 30 2022-09-26|
- The Palm Centeran independent research institute that uses scholarship to inform the national conversation about military policy concerning LGBTQ+ service memberswill close permanently on Sept. 30 after running for 24 ...
|Michelle Obama among those inducted into Women's Hall of Fame 2022-09-26|
- Attorney/author/former First Lady and native Chicagoan Michelle Obama was among nine women celebrated on Sept. 23-25 as they were inducted into The National Women's Hall of Fame in Seneca Falls, New York. Other inductees included science-fiction ...
|NATIONAL Veterans bill, Charlie Crist, Task Force honor, Elton John 2022-09-25|
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed legislation to assist LGBTQ+ veterans discharged under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) in updating their records and accessing education, health, burial and other benefits available ...
|Center on Halsted makes senior staff hires in development, DEI and culinary arts programs 2022-09-22|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Three senior hires have been added to Center on Halsted's staff recently. Brittany Terry was named senior director of diversity, equity, and inclusion/training services. Brad Snyder began work as chief development officer last month. ...
|Human Rights Campaign makes history with new president 2022-09-20|
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRCF) announced that Kelley Robinson (she/her) will become the organization's ninth presidentand the first Black, queer woman to lead the ...