WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gingrich at Quigley's thank-you
This article shared 4074 times since Wed Apr 8, 2009
With time winding down before the 5th Congressional District general election ( April 7 ) , Democratic candidate Mike Quigley held a private LGBT reception at the Lakeview home of Jonathan Pizer and Brad Lippitz April 2. Among the guests were 44th Ward Alderman Tom Tunney, Equality Illinois' Jim Madigan and gay-rights activist Candace Gingrich ( Pictured: Photo by Andrew Davis. )
In introducing Quigley, Gingrich used a sports metaphor, comparing the candidate to an American hockey player "...who goes through people. Mike is just the person we need to check a few people into the boards. But he is going to stand up for what he believes in, and we're very lucky that he believes in all the right things." Quigley thanked the attendees for their support and evoked laughs when he mentioned his first meeting with Dewey Herrington, the late "Mayor of Boystown:" "Dewey would say the most unique things to me. The first thing he said to me—who had just moved here from Carol Stream—was 'If you were gay, you'd never be lonely.' I [ responded ] , 'What an odd thing to say.'" Photo ( of, L-R, Max Pizer-Lippitz, Brad Lippitz, Alderman Tom Tunney, Quigley, Kelly Cassidy, Jonathan Pizer and Gingrich ) and text by Andrew Davis
This article shared 4074 times since Wed Apr 8, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Utah bans conversion therapy 2023-03-23|
- On March 22, Republican Utah Gov. Spencer Cox signed a bill that bans licensed professionals from practicing conversion therapythe discredited practice that attempts to turn LGBTQ+ people heterosexualon minors, Q ...
|ELECTIONS 2023 Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson discusses religion, LGBTQ+ issues, holistic approach 2023-03-22|
- Chicago mayoral candidates Brandon Johnson and Paul Vallas seem to have little in common. Johnson, a Cook County commissioner, has embraced a more progressive platform that employs everything from a more holistic approach to crime to ...
|More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ leaders endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor of Chicago 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — More than thirty-five LGBTQ+ community leaders are united in their support for Brandon Johnson for Mayor in Chicago's runoff election, representing the city's business, philanthropic, academic, civic ...
|N.Y. attorney general hosts Drag Story Hour 2023-03-21|
- On March 19, New York Attorney General Letitia Jamesalong with a coalition of advocacy organizations and elected leadershosted a first-of-its-kind Drag Story Hour Read-A-Thon for families in New York City, per a press release from her ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event 2023-03-18|
- Germany's Catholic bishops voted (38 to nine, with 11 abstentions) to adopt formal ceremonies for the blessing of same-sex relationships, defying the Vatican and testing church unity on what has become one of the most contentious ...
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items 2023-03-18|
- New York Congressman Ritchie Torres has talked about his own struggle with depression and the importance of mental health in the wake of U.S. Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.)'s recent hospitalization for clinical depression, The Washington Blade ...
|Johnson and Vallas to take part in LGBTQ+-focused candidate forum March 22 2023-03-17|
- Affinity Community Services (Affinity), Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) Chicago, Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Black Gay Men's Caucus, Life is Work and Task Force Chicago are co-hosting a virtual ...
|Major national LGBTQ+ groups condemn Oklahoma House censure motion against Rep. Mauree Turner 2023-03-16|
--From a press release - Last week, Oklahoma Representative Mauree Turner was the target of a censure motion by Republican leaders — a blatant attempt to silence the first openly non-binary U.S. state legislator. The motion passed on a party line ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 48th Ward candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth speaks about her run-off race 2023-03-15|
- Note: The following interview is part of Windy City Times' ongoing coverage of LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 Chicago municipal elections. The run-off election takes place Tuesday, April 4. Following the Feb. 28 primary electionwhere 10 ...
|Arkansas governor signs anti-trans medical malpractice bill 2023-03-15|
- Republican Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law a measure that makes it easier to sue providers of gender-affirming care for children, ABC News reported. This move, involving a law that will take effect this ...
|Mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson endorses 48th Ward alderperson candidate Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, community organizer and progressive advocate, earned the endorsement of Chicago Mayoral Candidate Cook County Commissioner Brandon Johnson. Since the February 28th runoff election, Manaa-Hoppenworth has ...
|Personal PAC to endorse Brandon Johnson for mayor 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Personal PAC, one of Illinois' leading organizations dedicated to protecting reproductive rights, announces today an endorsement for Brandon Johnson for mayor: From the organization: "Personal PAC is proud to stand with Brandon Johnson ...
|Mayoral candidate Johnson appears at monthly LGBTQ+ event 2023-03-13|
- On the evening of March 11, mayoral candidate Brandon Johnson made a surprise appearance in front of a packed room at the monthly LGBTQ+ event Slo Mo Jam, which was held at Sleeping Village, 3734 W. ...
|NATIONAL Folx Health, gay mayor arrested, powerlifter's suit, Versace visit 2023-03-10|
- Boston-based Folx Healthwhich provides primary healthcare services and gender-affirming healthcare to LGBTQIA peoplemade Fast Company's list of the world's 50 most innovative businesses. A few of the other healthcare companies ...