EN LA VIDA
||Gerardo: My Partner, My Friend
by Jan Gardner
This article shared 4144 times since Fri Aug 1, 2003
When I think of my partner Gerardo, so many things come to my mind. How sweet he is, how thoughtful he is. Always willing to do something for someone else before himself. Truly a man of great integrity and selflessness. We have known each other for about three years, but started to seriously date in the summer of 2002. By Nov. 5, 2002 we were official. We had special names for each other. Baby. Sweetheart. Honey. He is Oso Lindo, and I am Osito Chulo. Beautiful Bear and Cute Cubby.
Some of our time was spent getting to know each other at work. I went to some of his special events he had for work, which included Ravinia, a picnic in the park with co-workers, we even spent a weekend at the Fontana House. He enjoyed coming to see my band perform. Once at Great America he commented on how he liked to watch me in action. Especially wearing the tuxedo I conduct in. We also went to see some drum and bugle corps contests. He enjoyed that. He even came down to Crawford County to help carry water for my band when we marched in a parade. We watched the Indiana State Marching finals, and he said to me, 'I have to drive the tractor/4-wheeler that pulls the percussion pit instruments onto the field.' That was the way he was going to be involved. We just wanted to to be involved with each other's lives. He loved what I do for kids and I know he was passionate about the work he did with kids. He always told me about his kick-ass presentations. I always told him that's because he is a good baby. And he knew his shit and I am very proud of him.
We loved to reference movie lines and have fun just saying them back and forth. Sometimes I played them over and over through the phone to him just to laugh together. We would even watch TV together and be on the phone at the same time. We wouldn't say much, but we knew we could comment at any moment as if we were actually together in the same place. We also loved to eat. He especially got me to try many different foods that I was unsure of. I even tried Ethiopian. I have a fortune from a fortune cookie when we were down in Corydon, Ind. It is actually from his cookie, 'You are the evening star in someone's romantic eye.' And he will forever be my evening star in my romantic eye.
We brought out the best in each other. And when we were together, nothing else mattered. We were truly content with each other and enjoyed making each other happy. Life with each other was so simple. We both finally found our one true love.
We spoke many times about living together, getting a house. He even offered to take care of me and let me work on composing music instead of teaching. Since I did not find a job before I moved to southern Indiana, he said to me, 'I got your back.' We thought about many ways of making sure we were together. I would drive up and he would drive down. Back and forth for a school year. We would do anything to be together. When April 2003 came around, I had decided that for sure I was going to move back to the Chicago area. I even checked into the Chicago Public Schools for a position. That was one of the last weekends we were together, in late May. We always spoke every day, and every evening, to tell each other how we felt.
Gerardo (baby, honey), my loving partner, sooner or later, we will be together again and hopefully in a place where love prevails over all. I love you with all my heart and soul and in my heart is where I will keep your soul and spirit alive. Sweetheart, I am having a difficult time without you. But I know you will help give me the strength to go on and watch over me. You are and always will be my Baby, my Honey, my Sweetheart and my Oso Lindo. I will see you again. Hugs, Kisses, Licks :), Your baby, Jan, Osito Chulo.
This article shared 4144 times since Fri Aug 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Renowned author, professor, LGBTQ+-rights activist Arnie Kantrowitz 2022-01-25|
- Renowned author, professor and LGBTQ activist Arnie Kantrowitz died Jan. 21 in New York City's Upper East Side Rehabilitation Center due to complications from COVID-19. He was 81. Kantrowitz was born Nov. 26, 1940, in Newark, ...
|Fashion designer Thierry Mugler dies at 73 2022-01-24|
- Openly gay French fashion designer Thierry Mugler (full name: Manfred Thierry Mugler) has passed away at age 73, according to media reports. Madonna, Lady Gaga and Cardi B are among those who have worn his designs. ...
|Former Iowa Mr. Leather and computer programmer Ken Ballard dies at 43 2022-01-21|
- Former Iowa Mr. Leather, computer programmer and gay Chicagoan Ken Meverick Ballard died Jan. 11 in his Lake View home at the age of 43. The cause of death is currently unknown. Ballard was born July ...
|PASSAGES Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate Murray McKay 2022-01-20|
- Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate, curator, designer and LGBTQ activist Edward Murray McKay died Jan. 4 of cancer. He was 53. McKay was born Oct. 2, 1968, in Brussels, Belgium. The family moved to Toronto ...
|Fashion icon Andre Leon Talley dies at 73 2022-01-19|
- Andre Leon Talleythe fashion icon and former creative director of Vogue magazinedied Jan. 18 at age 73. Details were not immediately revealed. In addition to his agent, Talley's Instagram account confirmed Talley's passing, noting that ...
|PASSAGES Allen Anthony Schuh 2022-01-17|
- Allen Schuh loved Christmas, so as a final gift he got to see his beloved lights and ornaments one last time before passing quietly away Dec. 28, 2021. Born July 9, 1940, in Chicago's South Side, ...
|PASSAGES Veronica Drake 2022-01-13|
- Veronica Drake—a onetime Chicago resident and longtime LGBTQ+-rights activist—recently passed away in October. She was 58. She last resided in Florida. According to an obituary at Marvin C. Zanders Funeral Home, Inc., Drake was born Sept. 15 ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|PASSAGES Black trans activist Ke'Yahonna Stone, victim of gun violence, dies 2022-01-11|
- Ke'Yahonna Stone was shot at Castle Run Shopping Center's Epic Ultra Lounge parking lot in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the early morning hours of Dec. 26. She was taken to the hospital and died Dec. 28 after ...
|LGBTQ Illinois police sergeant to be laid to rest Jan. 7 2022-01-06|
- Bradley, Illinois, Police Sergeant Marlene Rittmanic—who was killed in the line of duty on Dec. 30, 2021—will be laid to rest Friday, Jan. 7, NewsChannel20.com reported. A visitation will be held for Rittmanic at 2-7 p.m. ...
|Michigan's first out gay man dies at 91 2022-01-04|
- Jim Toythe person widely considered to be Michigan's first openly gay man and one of its most prominent LGBTQ activistspassed away at age 91, MLive.com reported. Toy died on New Year's Day, said Washtenaw County Commissioner ...
|WORLD Trans model dies, museum exhibit, Tunisia case 2022-01-02|
- April Ashleyreportedly the first Briton to undergo gender-confirmation surgeryhas died at 86, according to an Out item that cited The Liverpool Echo. Ashley, who was born in Liverpool, was the first known trans model to appear ...
|LGBTQ travel expert Jeff Guaracino dies at 48 2021-12-30|
- Philadelphia native, author and Visit Philadelphia President/CEO Jeff Guaracino died Dec. 28, following a long battle with cancer. He was 48. Guaracino worked to boost the economies of both his hometown and Atlantic City as head ...
|Former Democratic leader Harry Reid dies at 82 2021-12-29|
- Harry Reid, the former Democratic Senate leader who spearheaded epic legislative battles through three decades in Congress, has died at age 82 following a long battle with pancreatic cancer, according to media reports. Reid rose from ...
|Human-rights champion Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90 2021-12-26|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutua Nobel Peace Prize laureate who was known for his stances for human rights and against South Africa's white minority ruledied Dec. 26 at age 90. According to Reuters, the presidency conveyed news of ...