WINDY CITY TIMES
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Kentucky legislators override governor's veto to push anti-trans youth bill 2023-03-30|
- On March 29, Republican lawmakers in Kentucky overturned Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear's veto of a bill to ban transgender youths from gender-affirming healthcare and restrict which toilets they use in public schools, media outlets reported. Both ...
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor 2023-03-25|
- In Indiana, approximately 100 students from the Center For Inquiry School 27 held a walk-out to protest the state's "Don't Say Gay" bill, which would restrict how teachers are able to discuss sexual orientation or gender ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|Adler president reflects on being out in academia 2023-02-23|
- Adler University President Raymond Crossman admits that leaders in higher education sometimes feel that they have to act as robots. "We always have to give the right answer, and not offend anybody—because you don't want to ...
|More LGBTQ PoC report barriers to academic achievement than white LGBTQ peers 2023-02-23|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law, conducted in collaboration with the Point Foundation, the nation's largest LGBTQ scholarship nonprofit, finds more than twice as many LGBTQ POC as white LGBTQ ...
|Queer songwriter donates $500K to Chicago Academy for the Arts 2023-02-13|
- Returning to the school that they said saved their life years ago and set them on a path to becoming one of the most celebrated activists and songwriters of the modern era, it was announced Feb. ...
|LGBT poverty dropped to 17% during the COVID-19 pandemic 2023-02-07|
--From a press release - Economic well-being increased most among LGBT people of color and in households with children A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds a dramatic decrease in the number of LGBT and ...
|ELECTIONS 2023: 49th Ward challenger Belia Rodriguez on why running, differences from incumbent 2023-02-01|
- This is part of a series of interviews Windy City Times is running on LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 municipal elections taking place Feb. 28. Belia Rodriguez is a lifelong Chicagoan who attended Chicago Public Schools. ...
|PASSAGES Gene R. Matterer 2023-02-01|
- Gene R. Matterer died on Jan. 16, 2023 of cancer, according to his family. He was 82 years old. Matterer was born on Feb. 17, 1940. Following his school days in Crystal Lake, Illinois, he enlisted ...
|One in five older LGBT adults experienced poverty during the COVID-19 pandemic 2023-01-19|
--From a press release - A new report from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law found that during the COVID-19 pandemic LGBT adults aged 50 and older were more likely to have household incomes below the federal poverty level ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|NATIONAL Indiana's 'Don't Say Gay,' drag show, Citi, new LGBTQ+ terms 2022-12-31|
- GOP lawmakers in Indiana have said that a proposal to restrict discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity in schools—modeled after Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill—will be drafted in the new year, according to INTO. The ...
|LGBTs nine times more likely than non-LGBTe to be victims of violent hate crimes 2022-12-21|
-- From a Williams Institute press release - About one out of 10 violent victimizations against LGBT people are hate crimes, according to a new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. LGBT people are nine times more likely than non-LGBT ...
|NATIONAL Testifying in D.C., Brittney Griner, marriage law, school policies 2022-12-18|
- WARNING: This week's news contains graphic content. Survivors of the Club Q shooting in Colorado Springs that killed five people and injured approximately 20 others joined GLAAD and other advocates in providing testimony before the House ...
|Johnson among HRC Chicago's Nov. 12 honorees 2022-12-09|
- E. Patrick Johnson, dean of the School of Communication and Annenberg University Professor of Performance Studies at Northwestern University, was recognized by HRC Chicago at its 2022 gathering Nov. 12 at the Fairmont Chicago Millennium Park ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Biden appoints Laura Ricketts to Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|