WINDY CITY TIMES
||Georgia elects Rev. Warnock and Jon Ossoff, NCLR comments
--From a press release
This article shared 834 times since Wed Jan 6, 2021
SAN FRANCISCO, CA Last night, Georgia voters made history by electing Rev. Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff to represent the Southern state in the United States Senate. Rev. Warnock's election is truly historic as he will be the first Black Senator to represent Georgia in Congress.
A statement from Imani Rupert-Gordon, NCLR Executive Director:
"Yesterday, record numbers of Georgia voters turned out for one of the most important Senate elections in our nation's history," said Rupert-Gordon. "We congratulate Rev. Warnock and Mr. Ossoff on their historic victories, and we join millions of other Americans in urging them and the other members of the 117th Congress to address the urgent needs of those whose lives have been devastated by the pandemic and the glaring inequalities that are threatening our democracy. Now more than ever, we need leaders who will be honest about the problems we face and who are genuinely committed to solving them. Here at NCLR, we are ready to do our part. We look forward to working with Senators-elect Warnock and Ossoff to advance legislation that protects the rights and well-being of all."
The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) is a national legal organization committed to advancing the human and civil rights of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community through litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education. Since its founding, NCLR has maintained a longstanding commitment to racial and economic justice and the LGBTQ community's most vulnerable. www.nclrights.org .
This article shared 834 times since Wed Jan 6, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Hall of Fame honors 21 LGBTQ elected and appointed leaders 2021-04-19|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — On Sunday, May 2 during a virtual event, LGBTQ Victory Institute will launch its LGBTQ Victory Hall of Fame to honor the LGBTQ elected officials, appointed officials and candidates who made a lasting ...
|Lightfoot calls resignation rumors 'homophobic, racist and misogynistic'
- On April 18, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot called rumors that she's resigning "homophobic, racist and misogynistic," The Chicago Tribune reported. Lightfoot tweeted, "1/ Good morning from my mansion in Sauganash. ...
|NATIONAL More trans deaths, bullied teen, Manhunt, trans writer, Biden 2021-04-18|
- A Black transgender woman in Missouri was shot to deathand investigators swiftly tracked down a suspect they believe shot her after meeting on an online dating website, LGBTQ Nation reported. Dominique Lucious was found dead April ...
|WORLD Peru items, Kenya, UK government, Poland city 2021-04-18|
- The first lesbian elected to Peru's Congress promised to put up a "strong battle" for LGBTQ+ rights in the South American nation as two social conservatives go head to head for a presidential run-off vote in ...
|Simmons moves to gather data on how COVID-19 has harmed LGBTQ+ communities 2021-04-15|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — To better determine how the COVID-19 pandemic has harmed LGBTQIA+ communities in Illinois, State Sen. Mike Simmons (D-Chicago) passed legislation out of an Illinois Senate committee Thursday that ...
|International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia theme announced 2021-04-15|
--From a collective press release - LGBTQI+ networks from around the world have announced the theme for this year's International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia: "Together: Resisting, Supporting, Healing!" We are inspired by this very ...
|Groups respond to death of queer refugee after attack on Kenyan camp
- LGBTQ+ people living in a refugee camp in northwestern Kenya have had to deal with a series of homophobic attacks by other residents and localsand, now, one individual has passed away after an arson-related attack in ...
|Bennett, Noriega named to Illinois Commission on Discrimination and Hate Crimes
- On April 13, Gov. JB Pritzker announced appointments in his administrationincluding noted LGBTQ Chicagoans Jim Bennett and Mona Noriega to the Commission on Discrimination and Hate Crimes. Bennett currently serves ...
|Illinois first state to extend Medicaid postpartum benefits to 12 months
- Gov. JB Pritzker announced that Illinois is the first state in the nation to extend full Medicaid benefits from 60 days to 12 months postpartum, following the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) approval ...
|LGBT media to boycott Georgia 2021-04-12|
--From a press release - The National LGBT Media Association (NGMA), composed of the 12 largest LGBT publications in the nation, passed a resolution banning meeting in the state of Georgia. The nation's largest LGBT media association today resolved to not ...
|WORLD Trans women arrested, death threats, Russian film, leader apologizes 2021-04-11|
- Two transgender women facing charges of "attempted homosexuality" (as well as public indecency and not carrying identification) in a high-profile case in Cameroon will spend more than two months behind bars without a trial after a ...
|NATIONAL College items, Easter rally, mental-health study, Chuck Schumer 2021-04-11|
- The NCAA LGBTQ OneTeama group of NCAA-trained facilitators at colleges across the countrypublished an open letter condemning the actions taken by 28 states across the country to introduce, pass and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot announces Chicago Blueprint for Fair Housing 2021-04-09|
--From a press release - MAYOR LIGHTFOOT ANNOUNCES BLUEPRINT FOR FAIR HOUSING New Assessment Outlines Actions the City will take over the next five years to advance fair housing to reduce residential segregation CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot today announced ...
|Attorneys general challenge Tennessee abortion law
- A group of 20 attorneys general filed an amicus brief in a case challenging a Tennessee law that requires women to have two in-person appointments at least 48 hours apart before having an abortion, The Hill ...
|Kinzinger calls on Gaetz to resign
- In the midst of an investigation that U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Florida) had sex with a minor and violated sex-trafficking statutes, fellow Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Illinois) has called on him to step down, The Hill reported. ...