||Gender JUST gets CPS win
From a News Release
This article shared 2879 times since Tue Jun 1, 2010
After a series of escalating direct-actions to demand that Chicago Public Schools ( CPS ) immediately implement a grievance procedure for students who experience violence in the school system, Gender JUST youth with the Safe & Affirming Education Campaign ( www.genderjust.org/committees/safe-affirming-education-campaign-organizing-committee ) received word this week that CPS is rushing the policy through! Eric Amaya, Gender JUST Leadership Team member and a junior at Kelly High School, said, "This is a huge victory for us, and it goes to show the power and effectiveness of direct-action as a tool for social change!"
The most recent action in the series occurred May 13 when more than 30 youth crashed a local fundraiser where CPS CEO Ron Huberman was receiving an award for Peace in Education. "It's ironic that they're giving him an award for 'Peace in Education,'" said Nalleli Luna, a Gender JUST member who is a sophomore at Little Village Lawndale High School. "He hasn't done anything to make schools safe for anyone." The students crashed the event, surrounded Huberman as he went to accept the award and chanted to demand the grievance process.
Prior to that action, students have occupied the CPS headquarters, held a rally outside the Headquarters, and even went to Huberman's home to deliver a stack of grievances. "Since there is no formal grievance procedure, we decided that we'd hand deliver these to your home" said Derrick Shenault, Gender JUST Leadership Team member and a junior at Kelly High School.
CPS plans to announce the new grievance process at the June board of education meeting. However, Gender JUST youths are demanding a seat at the table while critical issues are addressed. For instance, Gender JUST is pushing for follow-up to be conducted in a restorative justice framework as opposed to a punitive framework that can only address violence after the fact.
Stay tuned for next steps on this campaign and ways that you can support the final stages of this important youth-led effort. To get involved in Gender JUST's Safe & Affirming Education Campaign, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 2879 times since Tue Jun 1, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV 2021-10-17|
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State and Lambda Legal, together with the law firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), along ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|HHS awards $2.21B in FY2021 for HIV care, support services, medication 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced approximately $2.21 billion in Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding for cities, counties, states, and local community-based organizations in fiscal year ...
|Illinois HIV Care Connect launches HIV Innovation campaign 2021-10-05|
- On Oct. 5, Illinois HIV Care Connect launched its HIV Innovation web and social-media campaign, showcasing several Illinois HIV initiatives that are helping to prevent or treat HIV more effectively. Articles about five initiatives so far ...
|GLAAD releases 'Local Media Accountability Index - U.S. South' 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - GLAADhe world's largest LGBTQ media-advocacy organizationhas released its "Local Media Accountability Index - U.S. South," a measurement and evaluation of LGBTQ and HIV coverage in local news outlets across nine ...
|Proceeds from 30th Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to help 26 HIV/AIDS organizations 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On Saturday, Oct. 2, at 9:30 a.m., more than 1,700 advocates and supporters will gather safely at Soldier Field to participate in the 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) to support individuals ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|Controversial rapper DaBaby meets with Black HIV advocates 2021-09-02|
- On Aug. 31, Black leaders from nine HIV organizations across the country announced they held a virtual, private meeting with rapper Jonathan "DaBaby" Kirk to discuss HIV facts and share personal stories of living and thriving ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Celebration of life for Roman Buenrostro taking place Oct. 5 2021-08-31|
- A celebration of life for the late Chicago advocate Roman Buenrostro will take place Tuesday, Oct. 5, 3-6 p.m., at Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St. Buenrostro was an LGBTQ- and HIV/AIDS-rights activist who passed away ...
|GLAAD releases '2021 State of HIV Stigma' study 2021-08-29|
- GLAAD recently released its second annual State of HIV Stigma Study, a national survey among U.S. adults with the sample supplied by research firm Cint. The survey, funded by Gilead COMPASS Initiative, measures U.S. attitudes toward ...
|CDPH seeking proposals from groups to connect the HIV-vulnerable to services 2021-08-12|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Today, the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) issued five Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for qualified smaller organizations to implement screening and support services to help accelerate efforts ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...
|Dr. Ezike meets with Black coalition about HIV/AIDS act 2021-08-04|
- Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike recently met with members of the Black Leadership Advocacy Coalition For Healthcare Funding Equity (BLACHFE) in Chicago. The meeting took ...