WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gay man among finalists for associate judgeships
This article shared 1401 times since Tue Nov 5, 2019
The Nominating Committee of the Circuit Court of Cook County announced its 30 candidates who will seek appointment to 15 associate judge vacancies by a vote of the circuit judges.
All of the candidates received across-the-board positive ratings from the bar associations.
Out individual Michael A. Forti is among the candidates. In 2016, The Illinois Supreme Court appointed Forti to the 8th Subcircuit vacancy recently created by the passing of Justice Laura Cha-yu Liu; his appointment ended Dec. 3, 2018. He is currently a judge in the Domestic Relations division of the Circuit Court of Cook County; that term ends Dec. 7, 2020.
During the next few weeks, the candidates will present their credentials to the circuit judges. The Nominating Committee, in an effort to assist the process, has established receptions in Chicago on Nov. 12-14 for Circuit Judges to meet the candidates. Set times also have been established in additional courthouses for judges to meet the candidates.
This article shared 1401 times since Tue Nov 5, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Report: 2.3M Latinx LGBT adults live in the U.S. 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that an estimated 2.3 million adults in the U.S. identify as Hispanic or Latino/a and LGBT. Researchers found that Latinx LGBT people fare ...
|Chicago Ald. Cappleman attacked 2021-09-19|
- On the night of Sept. 18, Chicago Ald. James Cappleman was attacked in the Uptown area of the city, The Chicago Tribune reported. Cappleman, in charge of the 46th Ward, is one of five members of ...
|WORLD Germany's compensation, Lyra McKee, LGBTQ Afghans, tennis player 2021-09-19|
- Germany has compensated almost 250 people who were prosecuted or investigated under a Nazi-era law criminalizing homosexuality, according to euronews. By September, 317 people had applied for compensation for their ...
|Hastert settles sexual-abuse lawsuit 2021-09-16|
- Days before a trial was set to begin, former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert reached a tentative settlement in a hush-money lawsuit filed by a man whose decades-old sexual-abuse allegations led to the politician's downfall six ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...
|Catholic theologians urge protections for LGBTQ+ people 2021-09-14|
- More than 750 of the nation's leading Catholic theologians, church leaders, scholars, educators and writers have joined New Ways Ministry in voicing support for nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people, according to a New Ways press release. ...
|Men Having Babies surrogacy conference on Oct. 9 2021-09-13|
- The Men Having Babies 2021 Midwest Surrogacy Conference & Expo will take place Saturday, Oct. 9, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. According to a press statement, more than 100 (vaccinated!) ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Women & Children First hosting virtual event with Anita Hill on Sept. 29 2021-09-11|
- Anita Hillthe University Professor of Social Policy, Law, and Women's and Gender Studies at Brandeis University who played a major role in the 1991 Senate confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomaswill be part ...
|Chicago neighborhood nonprofits join forces to provide free attorneys 2021-09-07|
- Four Chicago neighborhood nonprofitsLCLC (Lawndale Christian Legal Center), Breakthrough, BUILD (Broader Urban Involvement & Leadership Development) and New Life Centershave formed a partnership to assign free ...
|One in ten LGBT workers experienced discrimination at work in the last year 2021-09-07|
- LGBT employees of color were more likely to report being denied jobs and verbal harassment A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds an estimated 46% of LGBT workers have experienced ...
|Constand breaks silence about Bill Cosby 2021-09-07|
- Bill Cosby accuser Andrea Constand is breaking her silence to NBC News about the comic/actor's release from prison two months ago, Deadline noted. In a brief clip, Constand tells Kate Snow she "was really shocked ...
|Afghan LGBTQs in peril, with little help in sight 2021-09-06|
- Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of LGBT Afghan citizens, who dared to take modest steps toward living openly when their country was under the occupation and influence of a more tolerant "western culture," are now literally hiding in ...
|NATIONAL Calif. bill, lawsuits, Billy Porter, 'Southern LGBTQ Experiences' 2021-09-05|
- The California legislature okayed a bill that would launch a pilot program to better track the gender identity and sexual orientation of victims of fatal violence, Gay City News noted. Under AB 1094, or the Sexual ...