||Gay and Lesbian Bookstore a first for South Africa
This article shared 5994 times since Tue Apr 1, 2003
EXIT monthly from Johannesburg reports that 'South Africa's first gay and lesbian bookstore, Ultra Violet Book Cafe', was launched in Melville, Johannesburg recently. ... The store boosts a selection of South African books, predominantly Afrikaans, amongst its wide range of imported titles. Ultra Violet also has a Pride Paraphernalia section which offers T-shirts, flags, stickers, jewelry and keyrings for sale. Says owner Michelle Kneisel, 'There are books for everyone, gays, lesbians, bisexual, transsexuals, transgendered people and anyone interested in gender politics and sexual identity.''
This article shared 5994 times since Tue Apr 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER DuSable, puppet company to run Toni Morrison's 'The Bluest Eye' 2022-01-13|
- The DuSable Museum of African American History is partnering with the 4th Chicago International Puppet Theater Festival to present a production of The Bluest Eye, based on Toni Morrison's 1970 groundbreaking coming-of-age novel. The production will ...
|LETTER Remembering Archbishop Tutu 2021-12-28|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu passed away in Cape Town, South Africa, on Dec. 26 at the age of 90. In 1984, he won the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his efforts to bring about a peaceful transition to a society with ...
|Human-rights champion Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90 2021-12-26|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutua Nobel Peace Prize laureate who was known for his stances for human rights and against South Africa's white minority ruledied Dec. 26 at age 90. According to Reuters, the presidency conveyed news of ...
|New COVID variant discovered in South Africa 2021-11-26|
- Global authorities reacted with alarm to a new coronavirus variant detected in South Africa, with the European Union and Britain among those tightening border controls as scientists tried to find out if the mutation was vaccine-resistant, ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|Black Leadership Advocacy Coalition for Healthcare Funding Equity (BLACHFE) launches 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO IL — September 20, 2021 — Eleven African-American-led organizations have united to form the Black Leadership Advocacy Coalition for Healthcare Funding Equity (BLACHFE). The purpose of BLACHFE is to ...
|Congo Square Theatre Co. announces new Artistic Director Ericka Ratcliff 2021-09-20|
- Congo Square Theatre Company, an African American theater company, announced that longtime company member Ericka Ratcliff will serve as its new artistic director, effective immediately. Ratcliff becomes only the fourth ...
|Chicago-area author releases book about gay, autistic African-American 2021-08-18|
- PenPower Book Marketing Services and Chicago-area author Jaire Sims have released his debut young adult novel, Getting By, which was named a finalist in the African American (Fiction) category in the 2021 Next Generation Indie Book ...
|Congo Square Theatre Company announces 2021-22 season 2021-08-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGOCongo Square Theatre Company (Congo Square), one of the nation's premier African American theater companies, is proud to announce its 2021-22 season, a robust and dynamic mix of online and in-person programming, running the gamut ...
|THEATER REVIEW School Girls; or, the African Mean Girls Play 2021-08-05|
- Don't be fooled by the title. If you arrive at the Goodman Theatre expecting a cross-ethnic copy of the seminal 2004 Hollywood film involving spoiled, shallow, WASP-y suburban teenagers and their clueless parents, you won't find ...
|Goodman Theatre reopens with School Girls; Or, The African Mean Girls Play 2021-07-12|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) School is back in session! Goodman Theatre returns to the stage with the Chicago-premiere production of the Off-Broadway smash sensation, School Girls; Or, The African Mean Girls Play. Full casting is below. Written by ...
|Black Ensemble Theater, African American theater companies across country form new national alliance 2021-06-01|
--From a press release - [CHICAGO, IL] — In an effort to share knowledge, resources and strengthen the infrastructure of the Black theatre landscape in the United States, the country's independent Black theatre building owners ...
|Refugee Coalition of East Africa calls for attention to anti-queer violence 2021-05-07|
--From a press release - On May 17, the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia will be observed worldwide, followed by many celebrations of Pride in the month of June. We at the Refugee Coalition of East Africa will raise ...
|Hate mail threatening Obamas, Biden, Harris sent to DuSable 2021-04-28|
- The Secret Service is investigating six threatening letters sent to the DuSable Museum of African American History that mention President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and the Obama family, among others, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|WORLD Namibia ruling, U.S. embassies, Kenya refugee camp, trans teen 2021-04-25|
- Namibia's High Court ruled against a gay couple battling to obtain travel documents for their twin daughters, born to a surrogate in South Africa, after authorities refused to do so on the basis the infants were ...