||Gay and Lesbian Bookstore a first for South Africa
This article shared 6044 times since Tue Apr 1, 2003
EXIT monthly from Johannesburg reports that 'South Africa's first gay and lesbian bookstore, Ultra Violet Book Cafe', was launched in Melville, Johannesburg recently. ... The store boosts a selection of South African books, predominantly Afrikaans, amongst its wide range of imported titles. Ultra Violet also has a Pride Paraphernalia section which offers T-shirts, flags, stickers, jewelry and keyrings for sale. Says owner Michelle Kneisel, 'There are books for everyone, gays, lesbians, bisexual, transsexuals, transgendered people and anyone interested in gender politics and sexual identity.''
This article shared 6044 times since Tue Apr 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD South Africa, Greek ruling, soccer items, singer attacked 2022-05-08|
- South African President Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa praised his country for creating a conducive environment for LGB people to practice same-sex marriages and partnerships, according to Erasing 76 Crimes. Speaking at a Freedom Day celebration in Mpumalanga, ...
|WORLD Global conference, conversion therapy, 'It's a Sin,' South Africa 2022-04-03|
- This summer, the United Kingdom will host a global LGBTQ+-rights conference that will coincide with London Pride's 50th anniversary, The Washington Blade noted. The Safe to Be Me: A Global Equality Conference will take place in ...
|THEATER 'Trial in the Delta: The Murder of Emmett Till' to take place Feb. 26-27 2022-02-21|
- Collaboraction and The DuSable Museum of African American History are partnering to present Trial in the Delta: The Murder of Emmett Tillthe first-ever stage adaptation of the actual, recently unearthed 1955 trial transcript of the two ...
|Black History Month celebrations planned by Chicago Park District 2022-02-04|
-- From a press release - Join the Chicago Park District in celebrating Black History Month! Several parks across Chicago have been named in honor of African Americans who have been instrumental in shaping the city's legacy. Events will take place Feb. ...
|'Hidden Gems' art pop-up at Goodman Theatre Feb. 3-27 2022-02-02|
- In celebration of Black History Month, Goodman Theatre is presenting its first-ever on-site art expo "Hidden Gems: A Celebration of African American Artists & Art" in conjunction with the major revival of August Wilson's Gem of the Ocean ...
|THEATER REVIEW Relentless 2022-02-01|
- Title: Relentless. Playwright: Tyla Abercrumbie At: Timeline Theatre Company at Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont Ave. Tickets: $42-$57; TimelineTheatre.com. Runs through: Feb. 26 The scholarly history of African immigrants in North America is all too often ...
|THEATER DuSable, puppet company to run Toni Morrison's 'The Bluest Eye' 2022-01-13|
- The DuSable Museum of African American History is partnering with the 4th Chicago International Puppet Theater Festival to present a production of The Bluest Eye, based on Toni Morrison's 1970 groundbreaking coming-of-age novel. The production will ...
|LETTER Remembering Archbishop Tutu 2021-12-28|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu passed away in Cape Town, South Africa, on Dec. 26 at the age of 90. In 1984, he won the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his efforts to bring about a peaceful transition to a society with ...
|Human-rights champion Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90 2021-12-26|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutua Nobel Peace Prize laureate who was known for his stances for human rights and against South Africa's white minority ruledied Dec. 26 at age 90. According to Reuters, the presidency conveyed news of ...
|New COVID variant discovered in South Africa 2021-11-26|
- Global authorities reacted with alarm to a new coronavirus variant detected in South Africa, with the European Union and Britain among those tightening border controls as scientists tried to find out if the mutation was vaccine-resistant, ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|Black Leadership Advocacy Coalition for Healthcare Funding Equity (BLACHFE) launches 2021-09-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO IL — September 20, 2021 — Eleven African-American-led organizations have united to form the Black Leadership Advocacy Coalition for Healthcare Funding Equity (BLACHFE). The purpose of BLACHFE is to ...
|Congo Square Theatre Co. announces new Artistic Director Ericka Ratcliff 2021-09-20|
- Congo Square Theatre Company, an African American theater company, announced that longtime company member Ericka Ratcliff will serve as its new artistic director, effective immediately. Ratcliff becomes only the fourth ...
|Chicago-area author releases book about gay, autistic African-American 2021-08-18|
- PenPower Book Marketing Services and Chicago-area author Jaire Sims have released his debut young adult novel, Getting By, which was named a finalist in the African American (Fiction) category in the 2021 Next Generation Indie Book ...
|Congo Square Theatre Company announces 2021-22 season 2021-08-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGOCongo Square Theatre Company (Congo Square), one of the nation's premier African American theater companies, is proud to announce its 2021-22 season, a robust and dynamic mix of online and in-person programming, running the gamut ...