FROM A PRESS RELEASE
The Federation of Gay Games ( FGG ) is having an event to present the FGG Legacy Awards to Tracy Baim, for media and journalism, and to Dick Uyvari and Joe La Pat for outreach and scholarship support. These honorees were vital to the success of the 2006 Scholarship Program in Chicago. The event will be Thursday, Nov. 19, from 8-9:30 p.m. at Mary's Attic, 5400 N. Clark St. A donation to the Gay Games Scholarship Program of $10 is suggested.
Details about the FGG are available at www.gaygames.com .
Donate online at: http://www.gaygames.com/en/donate/
Bringing new participants to the Gay Games is critical to continuing the growth of the Gay Games movement, which began in 1982. The Federation of Gay Games ( FGG ) is working in partnership with the host of Gay Games VIII Cologne to encourage people from underrepresented areas and demographic groups to participate in the Gay Games. But it costs money to be able to do this.
The Gay Games Scholarship Programs is a crucial part of the FGG's worldwide outreach. It makes the Games accessible and inspires new leaders to take home the spirit of the Games to grow local LGBT sport and cultural groups. The goals of the Gay Games Scholarship Program are to:
• Increase participation in the Games by under-represented groups.
• Bring new participants into the Gay Games movement.
• Serve as a catalyst for building and strengthening LGBT sports and cultural organizing throughout the world.
• Provide a blueprint for developing and implementing a scholarship program for host organizations of future Gay Games.
Scholarships will be available for:
• Basic event registration fees ( participatory athletic and cultural events ) .
• Travel costs to and from Cologne, Germany.
• A small daily allowance for the Games period ( 31 July to 7 August 2010 ) .
Here is what your gift will do for scholarship recipients ( smaller gifts are cheerfully accepted! ) :
· Your gift of $25 will provide a scholarship recipient with money for meals and other expenses in Cologne for one day.
· Your gift of $100 will fund meals and other expenses for four days.
· Your gift of $200 will fund meals and other expenses for the entire Gay Games week.
· Your gift of $600 will bring an athlete from Egypt to Cologne to participate in the Gay Games, introducing him/her to an entirely new concept of diversity.
· Your gift of $1,000 will bring one young woman from South Africa to Cologne for the Gay Games, empowering her to confront homophobia in the townships.
· Your gift of $2,000 will bring one person from China to Cologne, helping to introduce positive sport and culture role models to China's LGBT life.
· Your gift of $5,000 will bring three persons from Chile or Brazil to play volleyball in Cologne, helping to spread a message of inclusion in Latin America.
· Your gift of $10,000 will bring a team of basketball players from Israel and Palestine ( they are coming as a combined team ) to Cologne, helping them change minds about peace in the Middle East.
If you make a donation of $600 or more at www.gaygames.com/en/donate/, you will receive:
· A letter from the person you are sponsoring, introducing him/her.
· A letter right before the Games letting you know how his/her training is going and what events he/she will participate in.
· A follow up letter after the Games to let you know how he/she did, attaching one or more photos.
· An invitation to attend the Opening Reception of the Gay Games Scholarship Program in Cologne — if you will be in Cologne for the Games.
· For gifts of $2,000 or more you will also receive a Gay Games VIII hat.
· For gifts of $5,000 or more Recognition on the FGG's website as a Gay Games Champion.