WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gay Chicago stops print publication
News posted Friday, Sept. 30, 2011
This article shared 7159 times since Wed Oct 5, 2011
Gay Chicago issued a press release Sept. 29 announcing it will cease publication of its print newspaper. However, it will continue to produce online news and entertainment.
Ralph Paul Gernhardt founded the publication in 1976; he passed away in 2006. "It is with great sadness that we have come to this point in our publication's history," said Craig Gernhardt, Gay Chicago's publisher and Ralph-Paul's son.
Ralph Paul Gernhardt was inducted into Chicago's Gay & Lesbian Hall of Fame in 2004. Gay Chicago Magazine was inducted in 1991.
"Continuing print operations became more and more difficult in the past few years with dwindling ad revenues and rising print and operating costs. We just can't sustain our old model anymore," said Craig Gernhardt. "It's time to turn toward a new direction."
This article shared 7159 times since Wed Oct 5, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Singer/actress Olivia Newton-John dead at 73 2022-08-08|
- Olivia Newton-John—the Australian singer who charmed generations of viewers in the 1978 blockbuster movie Grease and had such music hits as "Physical," with both garnering many LGBTQ+ fans—died Aug. 8 at age 73, according to media ...
|PASSAGES Journalist Chuck Colbert passes away at 67 2022-08-08|
- Journalist Charles "Chuck" R. Colbertwho had written for several LGBTQ+ publications, including Windy City Timespassed away June 30. He was 67. He was a freelance journalist based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, according to his biography on The ...
|MacArthur Foundation expands support of Chicago area media, storytelling, partnered with Field Foundation 2022-08-03|
-- From a press release - August 3, 2022The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation today announced the renewal of a three-year, $3 million grant to the Field Foundation'sMedia & Storytelling program, which provides grants to a diverse set of Chicago ...
|National LGBTQ Task Force to honor Jonathan Capehart 2022-07-18|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force will honor MSNBC anchor and Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post Associate Editor Jonathan Capehart with the National Leadership Award at the 26th Annual National LGBTQ Task Force Gala on Saturday, Oct. 22, ...
|GLAAD releases 2022 Social Media Safety Index 2022-07-14|
- GLAAD has released its 2022 Social Media Safety Index (SMSI). The SMSI provides recommendations for the industry at large and reports on LGBTQ user safety across the five major social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube ...
|Rapinoe, Biles among Medal of Freedom honorees 2022-07-02|
- Out lesbian soccer player Megan Rapinoe and famed gymnast Simone Biles are among 17 people who will receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Joe Biden, media outlets noted. Some of the other honorees include ...
|Jeffrey Epstein cohort Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years 2022-06-28|
- On June 28, Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for carrying out a years-long scheme with her longtime confidante (and former boyfriend) Jeffrey Epstein to groom and sexually abuse underage girls, media ...
|Critically acclaimed Queer Serial History Podcast continues new series into Pride Month 2022-06-06|
-- From a press release - In Queer Serial's radio drama style, NLGJA award-winning producer Devlyn Camp is bringing gay history to life with news & gay radio shows from the archives, unheard interviews between historian Will Roscoe & Supervisor Harry Britt, ...
|GLAAD: True LGBTQ allyship extends to all aspects of business, including political giving 2022-05-31|
-- From a press release - Tuesday, May 31, 2022 (New York, NY)—GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announces GLAAD's Recommendations for Corporate Allies to educate corpo ...
|The Museum of Public Relations to address wave of anti-LGBTQ legislation June 2 2022-05-25|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY) - The Museum of Public Relations in New York City will host its fourth annual event focused on "The LGBTQ Experience in Public Relations" on June 2, 2022, from 6pm to 8pm ET. ...
|Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream 2022-05-21|
- Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream by Jerry Nunn Out figure skater Johnny Weir is an award-winning Olympian and an LGBTQ+ champion. This gay media spokesman brings past experience ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York honor Judith Light, Wilson Cruz and more 2022-05-07|
-- From a press release - New York - Friday, May 6 — GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards on May 6. Additional categories were announced in Los Angeles on April ...
|LGBTQ+ woman appointed as White House press secretary; GLAAD comments 2022-05-05|
- On May 5, President Biden announced Karine Jean-Pierre has been promoted to be assistant to the president and White House press secretary, according to a White House media release. Jean-Pierre will step into the press secretary ...
|TELEVISION Peacock cancels rebooted 'Saved by the Bell' 2022-05-05|
- Only a month after the reboot of the classic NBC comedy Saved by the Bell won Outstanding Comedy Series at the GLAAD Media Awards, Peacock has canceled the show after two seasons, Deadline reported. The second ...