||GLSEN Scholarships Include Rustin Award
by LORI WEINER
This article shared 4339 times since Thu May 1, 2003
The Chicago chapter of GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) hosted its 8th annual Youth Scholarships event April 22. The youth were selected from a wide pool of applicants based on their demonstration of outstanding commitment to advancing LGBT equality and visibility in elementary and secondary schools.
The six girls and one boy receiving scholarships boast a dizzying array of accomplishments and talents. The April 30 Windy City Times has more details on each of the winners. Among those honored was Patience Meeks, a graduating senior at Jones College Prep High School in Chicago. She received the Bayard Rustin Legacy Award, presented by Affinity.
Meeks plans to attend the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design in 2004. She started her school's gay-straight alliance (GSA) as a freshman, after meeting her first girlfriend. Jones College Prep now boasts the largest GSA of any school in the area, with a membership exceeding 100. When asked how she wants to be remembered by her high school community, Meeks told Windy City Times/BLACKlines that as a high school student, she was simply 'somebody who stood up for what she believed in, no matter what.' Meeks intends to continue with LGBT activism in college.
Receiving the GLSEN Chicago Pathfinder award was pioneering educator Toni Armstrong Jr. Toni, founder and former coordinator of GLSEN Chicago's Youth Leadership Development program, entered teaching immediately after college and has dedicated her career to mentoring and coaching young people. Armstrong, who was praised by presenter Betty Lark Ross as 'brilliant, passionate, determined and strong,' joined GLSEN in March of 1995 and quickly took a leadership role, spearheading not only youth leadership summits and symposiums but the scholarship program itself. Armstrong's support and mentoring of LGBT students played a crucial role in the eventual establishment of more than 50 GSA's in the Chicagoland area.
After presenting Armstrong with the award, Betty Lark Ross announced that the Pathfinder award would hereafter be known as the Toni Armstrong Jr. Pathfinder Award.
The Bayard Legacy Award was established in 2001 honoring the memory of Bayard Rustin, the civil-rights leader who organized many of the large-scale actions for which Martin Luther King Jr. became famous. Today it is widely acknowledged that this great man was denied his place in history because he was gay. The scholarship is awarded to an African-American student who has shown dedication to advancing civil rights for all, including the LGBT community.
— Lori Weiner
This article shared 4339 times since Thu May 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|GLSEN executive director stepping down
- After a dozen years leading the national organization GLSEN—which aims to create a better world for LGBTQ+ students—Executive Director Eliza Byard is stepping down March 1. Deputy Executive Director Melanie ...
|NATIONAL Marriage support, GLSEN, LGBTQ voting campaigns 2020-10-26|
- Seventy percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, according to the 11th annual American Values Surveythe highest percentage recorded by a major national poll, NBC News reported. The results found just 28 percent of respondents oppose the ...
|Leaders in LGBTQ history documentation, interpretation, outreach create fact sheet 2020-06-23|
- NEW YORK, NY Tuesday, June 23, 2020 The Stonewall 50 Consortium, Making Gay History, NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project, New York Public Library, GLSEN, National Parks Conservation Association, and the ONE Archives Foundation announce ...
|NATIONAL Murder suspect, intersex passport, GLSEN awards 2019-05-28|
- In Tennessee, officials have made an arrest in the murder of Daniel Shields last July, NewsChannel5.com reported. Gerry Weatherby was charged with first-degree murder and especially aggravated kidnapping for the homicide of Shields, a bartender at ...
|STONEWALL AT 50 Fact sheet answers basic Stonewall questions 2019-04-15|
- NEW YORK, NY Monday, April 15, 2019 The NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project, Making Gay History, the New York Public Library, GLSEN, the National Parks Conservation Association, and the Stonewall 50 Consortium announce the ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pose,' actor comes out, Miley Cyrus, Janet Mock 2019-02-27|
- GLSEN will honor the cast and creative team of Pose with the Champion Award during the 2019 GLSEN Respect Awards: New York, on Monday, May 20, at Cipriani 42nd Street, a press release noted. Golden Globe-nominated ...
|LGBTQ groups condemn federal commission move to rescind school disciplinary guidance 2018-12-19|
- NEW YORK, NY Yesterday, GLSEN, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC), the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE), and PFLAG National condemned the recommendation of the Federal Commission on School ...
|Showbiz news: Kerry Washington, 'Magic Mike,' Jinkx Monsoon, Ricky Martin 2017-08-02|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - GLSEN announced that it will honor Scandal actress Kerry Washington with the Inspiration Award at the 2017 GLSEN Respect Awards on Oct. 20 in Beverly Hills, California, according to Page Six. GLSEN praised Washington for her ...
|YouTube unblocks wrongly restricted LGBTQ videos, GLSEN responds 2017-04-26|
From a press release - The following statement can be attributed to GLSEN's Executive Director, Eliza Byard: "YouTube has become a vital lifeline to information for millions of LGBTQ youth around the world. GLSEN is very pleased to report that after ...
|Pro-LGBT groups, families meet with DeVos 2017-03-08|
- Families and a trio of pro-LGBT organizations met with Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos on Feb. 8. According to a press release from GLSEN Executive Director Eliza Byard, "I joined my colleagues from NCTE and Equality ...
|LGBT Groups meet with DOE Secretary DeVos
From a press release - The following statement was issued by Eliza Byard, executive director of GLSEN, on a meeting held with Education Secretary Betsy DeVos: "I joined my colleagues from NCTE and Equality Michigan and a delegation of families in ...
|DeVos nominated Sec. of Education, Lambda Legal, GLSEN, HRC respond 2017-01-18|
From press releases - Lambda Legal As Congress begins hearings on Betsy DeVos's nomination to be the U.S. Secretary of Education, Rachel B. Tiven, CEO of Lambda Legal, the nation's leading non-profit legal organization working for LGBT rights, provided the ...
|GLSEN: Illinois schools hostile for many LGBTQ secondary students 2017-01-11|
From a press release - ILLINOIS (January 11, 2017) GLSEN today released state-level data from its benchmark National School Climate Survey, which shows that U.S. secondary schools are slowly improving but remain hostile environments ...
|National roundup: Trans appointment, GLSEN honors, Whole Foods hoax 2016-05-17|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - The White House announced that the National LGBTQ Task Force's Barbara Satin has been appointed to serve on President Obama's Advisory Council on Faith-based Neighborhood Partnershipbecoming the first transgender woman ...
|LGBT adults nearly twice as likely to encounter cyber bullying 2016-04-14|
From a press release - NEW YORK, N.Y. — April 14, 2016 — Tomorrow, the annual GLSEN Day of Silence will again call attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. In this light, parents, students and educators alike continue ...