WINDY CITY TIMES
||GLAAD, SRLP debut new PSAs for Transgender Awareness Week
From a press release
This article shared 3250 times since Sat Nov 16, 2013
November 15, 2013, NEW YORK, NY - The Sylvia Rivera Law Project ( SRLP ) and GLAAD today released a series of PSA videos featuring transgender advocates and allies highlighting the critical issue of healthcare access for transgender people. The videos feature Reina Gossett, a transgender woman working in New York City who today launched a Change.org petition calling Governor Andrew Cuomo and Health Commissioner Nirav Shah to repeal a regulation in New York State Medicaid the specifically excludes transgender people from accessing the care they need. The new PSA videos can be viewed at www.glaad.org/healthcare In addition to Reina Gossett, advocates and allies featured in the video include Stephen Ira, a transgender writer; Egyptt, a transgender activist and performer; Ronica Mukerjee, MSN and family nurse practitioner; Finn Brigham, a healthcare administrator; and Maureen Ridge, an ally, advocate, and parent of Reina.
The discriminatory Medicaid regulation states, "Payment is not available for care, services, drugs, or supplies rendered for the purpose of gender reassignment ( also known as transsexual surgery ) or any care, services, drugs, or supplies intended to promote such treatment." 18 NYCRR 505.2( l ).
Like New York State Medicaid, many health insurance policies and programs specifically exclude transgender people from accessing care. However, in some cities and private health insurance plans with inclusive coverage, transgender people have access to healthcare, without increased premiums or surcharges.
"I am a New Yorker, this is my home. Unfortunately, for transgender and gender non-conforming New Yorkers, we're excluded from accessing the basic healthcare coverage we need to survive through Medicaid, due to misinformation and bias" said Reina Gossett. "Whether it's preventative care or hormone therapy, healthcare for trans people is not special care. It is the regular healthcare that non-transgender people count on every day, but is specifically denied to transgender and gender non-conforming people, just because of who they are. When you think about it like that, it's just not fair."
The discriminatory Medicaid regulation adds to the barriers transgender people already face to accessing healthcare. While transgender people live in poverty at 4 times the national average, a staggering 19% of transgender people report lacking any form of health insurance, including Medicaid.
For more information, visit www.srlp.org/healthcare and www.glaad.org/healthcare.
GLAAD amplifies the voice of the LGBT community by empowering real people to share their stories, holding the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helping grassroots organizations communicate effectively.
This article shared 3250 times since Sat Nov 16, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Ex-'Jagged Little Pill' performers accuse production of anti-TGNC behavior 2021-09-24|
- Two former cast members of Broadway's Jagged Little Pillincluding Tony-nominated featured actress Celia Rose Goodingreleased statements accusing the production of committing "harm to the trans and non-binary community, both onstage ...
|Trans woman D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith, a victim of violence, dies 2021-09-24|
- D'isaya Dior Monaee Smith was shot and killed Sept. 6 at the Prestige Motel in Dolton, Illinois. She was 27. A Human Rights Campaign report showed that, in 2020, a record 44 transgender, nonbinary or gender-nonconforming ...
|Brittany Devon meets a 'Platonic Girlfriend' 2021-09-15|
- Queer, genderfluid actor Brittany Devon has created a brand new project to explore with Platonic Girlfriend. It is the story of a relationship between straight woman Alice and a queer, nonbinary person named Dev. Devon stars ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...
|AstonRep Theatre Company announces 2021-22 season: 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 13, 2021) — AstonRep Theatre Company is pleased to welcome back live audiences this fall, kicking off with a revival of Yasmina Reza's frenetic dark comedy God of Carnage, translated by Christopher Hampton and ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Dutch study: Transgender people face twice the odds for early deaths 2021-09-08|
- A long-term Dutch study revealed that transgender people have double the odds of dying early compared to folks whose identity matches the sex they were assigned at birth (cisgender), according to the U.S. News & World ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alums, Zendaya, Gaga, 'Queer As Folk,' women rappers 2021-09-05|
- American Idol alum David Archuleta said that God urged him to come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, NBC News noted. The Nashville resident told Today.com he wasn't sure if the community would embrace ...
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|MUSIC Laura Jane Grace gives good advice to future trans and queer artists 2021-09-04|
- For one hour and 48 minutes, Laura Jane Grace will take listeners on a journey with the new Audible project Black Me Out. This transgender musician covers a great deal of territory in the session, from ...
|Get Out! LGBTQ travelers show how to travel safely this fall 2021-09-01|
By Ed Salvato, courtesy of the National LGBT Media Association - Just when we thought it was safe to hit the road, we were walloped by the Delta variant, the latest plot twist in the 18-month-and-counting pandemic story. The surprising data that fully vaccinated people could transmit ...
|Gender-affirming care associated with lower suicide risk for transgender people 2021-09-01|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on suicide risk and prevention among transgender people in recognition of Suicide Prevention Month Transgender people who need and receive gender-affirming medical care have a lower prevalence of suicide thoughts and ...
|NATIONAL Marsha P. Johnson, Utah, five-year study, Pride fests cancelled 2021-08-29|
- In New York City, visitors to Christopher Park have been greeted by the bust of the late trans activist Marsha P. Johnson, ActionNewsNow.com reported. The bust was erected on what would have been Jonhson's 76th birthdayand ...
|Virginia school district settles with Gavin Grimm 2021-08-28|
- A Virginia school district that discriminated against a transgender individual by making him go to the bathroom in a converted supply closet will have to pay $1.3 million in attorney's fees and other costs accrued over ...