||GLAAD Calls for Action Against Talk Shows
This article shared 3511 times since Tue Feb 1, 2005
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation ( GLAAD ) is urging people to take action against two talk shows and a syndicated column that the organization says are promoting violence and making ridiculous claims against the gay community.
GLAAD claimed, in a press release, that Liberman Broadcasting Corporation airs two talk shows, Jose Luis Sin Censura and El Show de Maria Laria, that promote verbal and physical abuse against LGBT individuals. The release stated that not only do both programs air epithets such as 'joto [ faggot ] , ... marimacha [ dyke ] , and others,' but that they allow audience and panel members to beat LGBT people. GLAAD is encouraging people to visit its site ( www.glaad.org ) to watch clips of the shows and to send their thoughts to Liberman.
In a separate statement, GLAAD criticized a recent Creators Syndicate column written by Thomas Sowell in which he 'mixes absurd claims about marriage and same-sex couples with a hateful, bigoted attack on gay and lesbian Americans.' The release added that the column, which can be viewed at www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20041231.shtml, contains thoughts such as ' [ t ] ransferring [ the laws about marriage ] to same-sex couples would make no more sense than transferring the rules of baseball to football.'
GLAAD is asking people to, among other things, contact Creators Syndicate president Richard Newcombe ( through www.glaad.org/action/alerts_detail.php ) .
This article shared 3511 times since Tue Feb 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|The Museum of Public Relations to address wave of anti-LGBTQ legislation June 2 2022-05-25|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY) - The Museum of Public Relations in New York City will host its fourth annual event focused on "The LGBTQ Experience in Public Relations" on June 2, 2022, from 6pm to 8pm ET. ...
|Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream 2022-05-21|
- Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream by Jerry Nunn Out figure skater Johnny Weir is an award-winning Olympian and an LGBTQ+ champion. This gay media spokesman brings past experience ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York honor Judith Light, Wilson Cruz and more 2022-05-07|
-- From a press release - New York - Friday, May 6 — GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards on May 6. Additional categories were announced in Los Angeles on April ...
|LGBTQ+ woman appointed as White House press secretary; GLAAD comments 2022-05-05|
- On May 5, President Biden announced Karine Jean-Pierre has been promoted to be assistant to the president and White House press secretary, according to a White House media release. Jean-Pierre will step into the press secretary ...
|TELEVISION Peacock cancels rebooted 'Saved by the Bell' 2022-05-05|
- Only a month after the reboot of the classic NBC comedy Saved by the Bell won Outstanding Comedy Series at the GLAAD Media Awards, Peacock has canceled the show after two seasons, Deadline reported. The second ...
|Chappelle attacked at Netflix event; man charged with misdemeanors [UPDATES] 2022-05-04|
- Social media exploded overnight on May 3 with reports that comedian Dave Chappelle was attacked at his Hollywood Bowl Show, which was a part of the Netflix Is a Joke Festival, according to Deadline. Apparently, Chappelle ...
|Reader owner steps down; paper can now go nonprofit route 2022-04-26|
- Chicago Reader co-owner Len Goodman and three board members stepped down April 26 amid protests from employees, freeing the embattled alternative newspaper to transition to a nonprofit organization, The Chicago Tribune reported. The Reader has been ...
|Ehrlich, Mojica among latest Victory Fund-endorsed candidates 2022-04-26|
- LGBTQ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, endorsed 37 more out LGBTQ candidates, a media release noted. Victory Fund has now endorsed 274 candidates running in the 2022 ...
|Readers invited to take survey on LGBTQ+ community media and organizations 2022-04-19|
- Windy City Times is asking people to take a short LGBTQ+ survey from Community Marketing & Insights, an LGBTQ+ market-research firm. For more than a decade, this survey has provided free data to help non-profits, universities ...
|Chicago Fashion Week taking place April 24-May 1 2022-04-19|
- FashionBar, LLC announced Chicago Fashion Week will take place April 24-May 1 on the third floor of Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave. Some of the shows will include "Emerging Students" (April 26), "Trans, Media ...
|Kane County high school 'promposal' criticized as racist 2022-04-19|
- A recent promposal involving students at Kane County's Central High School has been criticized as racist, ABC 7 Chicago reported. A photo of the promposal that's being shared on social media shows two teens holding a ...
|Judith Light to receive GLAAD's Excellence in Media Award 2022-04-12|
- GLAAD announced that multiple Tony- and Emmy-winning actress, producer and activist Judith Light will receive the Excellence in Media Award that will be presented by queer performer and Oscar winner Ariana DeBose at the 33rd Annual ...
|POLITICS Gay media owner to run for Chicago mayor 2022-04-06|
- Dennis J. "DJ" Doran—the openly gay owner of the LGBTQ+-focused Aequalitas Media—is planning a run for Chicago mayor. Doran, a Lake View resident, has acknowledged he is an outsider—but he also believes that designation is an ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD awards take place; award recipients include 'Drag Race,' 'Hacks,' Mj Rodriguez 2022-04-04|
-- From a press release - Los Angeles - Sunday, April 3—GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards. Kacey Musgraves received the Vanguard Award from Ben Platt, and Michaela Jaé Rodriguez received ...