||Friends raise funds for Renae Ogletree
This article shared 2763 times since Thu Apr 1, 2010
Friends are raising money for home-based care for longtime Chicago activist Renae Ogletree. Ogletree has been hospitalized and is now facing hospice care in her home, a daunting financial task. Her friends are coordinating both her care and the financial implications.
Ogletree has been an instrumental part of many community organizations in Chicago, including the Gay Games, Chicago Black Lesbians and Gays, Lesbian Community Cancer ( Care ) Project, The Color Triangle, the Belmont Rocks, Yahimba, and many more. she was inducted into the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Hall of Fame and received the 1997 Chicago Commission on Human Relations Award. She also participated in the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and on the Chicago Police Department's 23d District Gay and Lesbian Advisory Committee.
Ogletree has decades of experience in serving youth, most recently working for the Chicago Public Schools. Her past job experience includes working with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Chicago, the Better Boys Foundation, Chapin Hall Center for Children and the Chicago Youth Agency Partnership.
People can send checks made out to Renae Ogletree and care of Windy City Times to:
Windy City Times
5315 N. Clark, #192
Chicago, Ill., 60640.
For those who know Renae and would like to visit at her home, visiting hours are 12-2 p.m. and 5-7:30 p.m. They are asking people to stay only 15-30 minutes.
This article shared 2763 times since Thu Apr 1, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AFC commemorates passing of the HIV decriminalization law with World AIDS Day event Dec. 1 2021-11-24|
--From a press release - The World AIDS Day Community Celebration of the Historic Passage of HB1063, which ended criminal penalties against people living with HIV, will be hosted by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC). It will also commemorate World AIDS Day ...
|Combining creativity with consulting, trans-rights activists launch Better World Collaborative 2021-11-04|
- With years of activism behind them, transgender-rights advocates Crispin Torres and Rebecca Kling have sat through countless workshops. But they'd often leave their seats—or Zoom calls—feeling disappointed. Workshops don't need ...
|Co-founder of LGBTQ Latinx organization reflects after decades of activism 2021-10-12|
- When activist Julio Rodriguez was 5 years old, a teacher forced him to stand up in class and choose another name—maybe John, she suggested, since people couldn't pronounce "Julio." By the time he got home, he ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...
|Latinx Humanist Alliance, American Humanist Association hosting activism training 2021-09-27|
- The Latinx Humanist Alliance and the American Humanist Association, in partnership with the Midwest Academy, are hosting a virtual grassroots activism 101 training on Friday, Oct. 1, 4-5:30 p.m. CT; and Saturday, Oct. 2, 1-2:30 p.m. ...
|Writer on AIDS activism in the Black church honored 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - The LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) honors Dr. Dan Royles with the 2020-21 LGBTQ Religious History Award. The review jury selected Royles' "There Is a Balm in Gilead: AIDS Activism in the Black Church" from among ...
|30 Under 30 Awards 2000-2019 2020-09-30|
- Honoring local LGBTQ people 30 and younger who excelled in entertainment, politics, health, activism, academics, sports and other areas, Windy City Times' 30 Under 30 Awards ceremonies, which started in 2000, were held during Pride Month. ...
|Creating Change Conference to hold Oct. 10 day-long event, "Queering Racial Justice" 2020-09-21|
--From a press release - Sept. 21, 2020….Washington, DC…. The National LGBTQ Task Force and Creating Change will hold a day-long event (12:30 ET to 6:30 ET) exploring how Queer/Trans People of Color (QTPOC) activism is leading the resistance to state ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit Sept. 12-13
- The Gerber/Hart Library and Archives fall benefit"Saving LGBTQ History: Archives in a Time of Activism"will take place Sept. 12-13 at the venue, 6500 N. Clark St. On those days, there will be a series of 90-minute ...
|Teen LGBTQ+ activist aims to inspire with Be You Tiful Initiative 2020-07-31|
- Allison Frank is a 16-year-old lesbian activist from Lincolnshire's Stevenson High School who found her passion for activism and began the Be You Tiful Initiative. It all started when Frank was feeling overwhelmed in a makeup ...
|Buff Carmichael talks downstate activism 2020-07-22|
- Windy City Times has been featuring remembrances by longtime Springfield-based activist Buff Carmichael, who is also the former publisher of the Prairie Flame newspaper. In this final segment, Carmichael discusses why he was attracted to death ...
|Downstate activist Buff Carmichael talks husband, the Prairie Flame 2020-06-24|
- In the May 27 issue of Windy City Times, in the first of a three-part series, Springfield-based activist Buff Carmichael discussed his early life in Texas and his entry into gay activism in downstate Illinois. In ...
|GLAAD unveils inaugural 20 Under 20 list 2020-06-24|
- GLAAD revealed its inaugural Rising Stars 20 Under 20 list. The list spotlights 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. ...
|NUNN ON ONE Miss Lawrence talks new song, activism and Lee Daniels 2020-06-24|
- Reality-show personality Miss Lawrence has built a diverse career in acting, singing and activism. Growing up in Atlanta, Lawrence pursued hairstyling, which led to owning salons where celebrities such as Bravo's The Real Housewives of Atlanta ...
|Buff Carmichael reflects on his life and downstate activism 2020-05-27|
- In this series, Windy City Times talks with activist Buff Carmichael regarding various issues and life developments. Activist Buff Carmichael has been active in downstate LGBT issues, as well as myriad other progressive causes, since the ...