||Friends Remember Thom Ford
This article shared 2749 times since Wed Aug 1, 2007
As news of the Rev. Thom Ford's untimely passing has spread through the LGBT community, several people have sent messages expressing sadness and memories:
—Father Tommy Avant Garde of the ball-culture family known as House of Avant Garde: 'Pastor Thom Ford was a great inspriation and motivating force in my early years of community service work. He took me on as a [ protege ] and helped me develop my strengths, be aware of my weaknesses and see my potential.
—Community activist Robert Castillo: 'Rev. Ford was a bright light in the city's LGBT community and will be missed. Our community has lost a much needed voice for inclusion of LGBTs in spritual life and a selfless volunteer.'
—Rev. Deborah Lake of Sankofa Way: 'I met Rev. Ford in 1999 or so during a conference in Chicago. I was facilitating a workshop that dealt with homophobia in Black churches, and Rev. Ford introduced himself to me. ... I will miss him. Our community will miss him.'
—Lora Branch of the Chicago Department of Public Health: 'Rev. Thom Ford was not only active in the Church of the Open Door ministries but also served as a tireless AIDS services advocate. ... Thom Ford was intelligent, insightful and filled with compassion. He greeted everyone with a warm embrace and a heartfelt 'How are you?' I will miss Thom very much and am deeply saddened by this tragic loss for our community.'
—Activist Renae Ogletree: 'The loss of Rev. Ford is great, in particular for the African-American LGBT community. ... He was always such a calming and thoughtful person, [ and ] even when I felt spiritually challenged by some of the politics of the church, Rev. Ford never changed. ... I will miss the energy and the spirit of community that he brought.'
Ford, a former pastor at the Church of the Open Door who often served as a sign-language interpreter at events, died of a heart attack on June 30.
This article shared 2749 times since Wed Aug 1, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Indiana pols propose anti-conversion therapy bill
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats issued a press release lauding state Sen. JD Ford (District 39) and state Rep. Sue Errington (District 26) for introducing a new bill to effectively end so-called "conversion therapy" practices across the state ...
|MUSIC (Colton) Ford tough: Singer is back and 'Stronger' than ever 2020-11-28|
- Colton Ford has been an actor (in mainstream, off-Broadway and adult features) as well as singer, but he had see out of the spotlight for a few years—until now. Ford (who's openly gay) is back with ...
|PASSAGES Adrian Ford 2020-11-24|
- Adrian Robert Ford, of Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood, died unexpectedly Nov. 17. He was 74 Born in Rochester, New York, on May 11, 1946 to Clarence and Ruth Ford, Adrian grew up in Webster, New York, ...
|Billy Masters 2020-11-09|
- "My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works; our great republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here, the people rule."Gerald Ford during his inaugural remarks. Who would have ...
|BLACKlines 1996-2004, En la Vida 1996-2004, Identity 2004-2006
- BLACKlines newspaper started in February 1996, and remained a monthly newspaper produced by Outlines for many years. It started after Robert Ford of Thing 'zine died. A Black gay man, Ford had created a wonderful queer ...
|AG Raoul files briefs in lawsuit to ensure ERA recognized as 28th Amendment 2020-08-19|
--From a press release - Chicago — Attorney General Kwame Raoul, along with Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring and Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford, today moved for summary judgment in their lawsuit seeking to ensure that the Equal Rights Amendment ...
|Police, fire officials joint Dept. Public Health work to protect first responder 2020-03-24|
- CHICAGO — Chicago Police Superintendent Charlie Beck and Chicago Fire Department Commissioner Richard Ford II today joined Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady to announce the ...
|LGBTQ ally Amy Armstrong talks cancer, giving back, 'Amy and Freddy' 2019-09-18|
- When LGBTQ ally Amy Armstrong was growing up in Detroit and later Camden, Michigan she dreamed of becoming a performer. Since graduating from Henry Ford Community College and Wayne State University, she has parlayed that into ...
|Paxton Pride organizer didn't give up on hometown 2019-08-21|
- When the first hateful comments against Paxton's planned Pride parade appeared on the Ford County Record's Facebook page, organizer Tyger McClure had a new problem: talking his octogenarian father out of carrying a rifle at the ...
|Small Illinois town holds inaugural Pride parade 2019-07-03|
- In Ford County, Illinois, the small town of Paxton recently held its inaugural Pride parade, The Ford County Record noted. More than 150 people participated in the event, gathering at Pells Park for an hour of ...
|Lesbian CEO speaks on challenges to rural economy 2019-05-24|
- Beth Ford, the president/CEO of Arden Hills, Minnesota-based Land O'Lakes, Inc., spoke May 23 at a gathering of the Executives Club of Chicago. Ford, who is lesbian, spoke about both the future of food production and ...
|SHOWBIZ Matt Bomer, Megan Rapinoe, Tom Ford, MTV Awards, EBTG 2019-05-22|
- Out actor Matt Bomer stars in the movie Papi Chulo, out June 7, a press release noted. The plot focuses on a newly single, gay TV weatherman (Bomer) who is put on leave following an on-air ...
|CEO to speak on food distribution issues 2019-05-14|
- Beth Ford, president and CEO of Arden Hills, Minnesota-based Land O'Lakes, Inc., will speak on Thursday, May 23 at noon at a meeting of the Executives Club of Chicago. The meeting will take place at the ...
|ELECTIONS 2019, MAYOR. La Shawn Ford on Marshall Plan, LGBT issues 2019-02-10|
- With a focus on fighting poverty, La Shawn Ford hopes to become the next mayor of Chicago. When he spoke with Windy City Times recently, he explained some of his plans for helping the middle class ...
|VEHICLES Updated 2019 Edge helps move Ford away from cars 2019-01-01|
- Ford recently announced it is planning to discontinue virtually all of its cars, save the iconic Mustang. And, a reason it is planning that move are excellent car-based crossovers like the Escape, Explorer, and Edgevehicles that ...