WINDY CITY TIMES
||Frank Lloyd Wright's Michigan masterpiece tour
From a press release
This article shared 1223 times since Fri Aug 18, 2017
Experience a Prairie residence exactly as Frank Lloyd Wright intended when the Frank Lloyd Wright Trust takes a day trip from Chicago to Grand Rapids, Mich. to visit the restored Meyer May House, plus a private home designed in Wright's studio and more.
The excursion, A Michigan Masterpiece and More, is part of the Trust's Wright in the Region day tour program. It departs 7 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11, from The Rookery Building, 209 S. LaSalle St., Chicago. For more information, visit flwright.org/grandrapids. Transportation is a luxury coach bus. Lunch and snacks are included.
Considered Michigan's Prairie masterpiece, the Meyer May House was completed in 1909, when Frank Lloyd Wright was at the height of his career, designing and building homes with distinctive characteristics that became known as Prairie style. The Meyer May House interior is noteworthy for its combination of leaded glass and electric lighting, which creates an ever-changing effect of colors and light throughout the day and into the night. A mural by George Niedecken greets guests in the entrance hall.
Current owners of the neighboring J.H. Amberg House — commissioned to Wright's studio and designed in 1909 by his assistants, Marion Mahony and Herman Von Holst — will open their home for a private tour.
The tour will stop for lunch at Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, followed by a guided tram tour and visit to the special exhibition,Rodin and the Contemporary Figurative Tradition.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Trust is a leading national Frank Lloyd Wright nonprofit organization based in Chicago, where the largest number of original Wright sites is located. Dedicated to preservation and interpretation of Wright's design legacy, the Trust operates public tours at five Chicago area sites and offers both in-school and on-site programs for youth, families and adults. Owner, operator and preservation steward of Wright's Oak Park Home and Studio ( 1889/1898 ), where Wright established his career and created the Prairie-style of architecture, the Trust also operates the iconic Frederick C. Robie House ( 1908-10 ) in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood, and offers public tours and programs at Unity Temple ( 1905-08 ) in Oak Park, The Rookery Light Court ( 1905 ) in the Chicago Loop and Emil Bach House ( 1915 ) in Chicago's Rogers Park neighborhood. For more information, visit flwright.org .
This article shared 1223 times since Fri Aug 18, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|OP-ED: New Year's Eve circuit parties go on despite COVID-19 travel concerns 2021-01-08|
- This past New Year's Eve, thousands of gay men flocked to Mexico to attend a New Year's eve "White Party" hosted by long time party promoter Jeffrey Sanker—the host of the annual white party in Palm ...
|SAVOR Travelle To Go 2020-09-01|
- These days, when convenience seems paramount, Travelle at The Langham (330 N. Wabash Ave.; TravelleChicago.com) offers something that it hopes will draw lots of people: Travelle To Go. And this concept should. Located around the corner ...
|MUSIC Cor.Ece: Queer singer on journey, 'The Chi' and 'hopeful electro-soul' 2020-08-13|
- Cor.Ece is a singer/songwriter who, unlike most people, seems to have found his niche: making inspiring music that he calls "hopeful electro-soul." He is now based in Los Angeles, but has literally traveled the country while ...
|DNC speakers, including Biden, not traveling to Milwaukee 2020-08-05|
- After ongoing consultation with public health officials and expertswho underscored the worsening coronavirus pandemicthe Democratic National Convention Committee announced that speakers for the 2020 Democratic National ...
|COVID-19 Wisconsin added to Chicago's quarantine order 2020-07-28|
- On July 27, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced that Wisconsin will be the next state to join the 18 previously listed on the city's emergency travel order, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel noted. First enacted on July ...
|ACTIVITIES Rollin' on the river, courtesy of the Chicago Electric Boat Company 2020-07-08|
- Running out of ideas regarding what to do this summer? Well, it turns out there's nothing like going down the river in a boat built for two (with social distancing). I recently cruised down the Chicago ...
|Mapping the Gay Guides project plots queer spaces, launches digital map 2020-06-26|
- When Eric Gonzaba travels across the United States, he often wonders about the history of the places he passes through specifically, their queer history. The Cal State Fullerton assistant professor of American studies is the ...
|Anne Steele, Kelli Carpenter raise funds for meals. Online concert April 29
- Lesbian singer/ songwriter Anne Steele decided to start online concerts to lift the spirts of her fans, friends and family. While playing the "couch concerts" every Wednesday on Facebook Live, her wife, Kelli Carpenter, a travel ...
|TRAVEL San Antonio, a spot that defies and embraces Texas 2020-03-14|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - San Antonio is one city that encompasses what one may think of Texasbut also extends beyond one's perceptions of the state. Yes, there are the seemingly requisite cowboy hats and (emblematic of the notion that "everything ...
|SHOWBIZ Halsey, GLAAD, Jonathan Van Ness, Carol Burnett, 'Stranger Hearts' 2020-03-10|
- Halsey said she won't be touring for a while after the year is over, IHeart.com noted. The singer, who is currently traveling for her "Manic World Tour," made the announcement on Instagram March 1. Posting images ...
|WORLD Travel meeting postponed, Hong Kong ruling, African refugees, Grindr sold 2020-03-10|
- The International LGBTQ+ Travel Associationscheduled to take place in Milan, Italyhas been postponed to September/October because of coronavirus concerns, an organizational press release announced. The release stated, "The outbreak of ...
|Make a pit stop in Indy for a gay ol' time
- Approximately three hours outside of Chicago, Indianapolis, Indiana has a lot to offer travelers in terms of cuisine, history and nightlife. Start off by staying at the Conrad Hotel in Downtown Indianapolis to be centrally located ...
|NATIONAL Fatal shooting, LGBTQ political news, Bayard Rustin, travel ban 2020-02-05|
- In response to the ongoing investigation into the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Ja'Quarius Taylor, from New Orleans, as a possible hate crime, National Black Justice Coalition Executive Director David Johns and Executive Director of the Lawyers' ...
|theWit celebrating Warhol with package 2020-01-07|
- theWit Hotel, 201 N. State St., is celebrating the arrival of "Andy WarholFrom A to B and Back Again," the acclaimed traveling Andy Warhol exhibit that has just made its debut in Chicagowith a hotel package ...
|TRAVEL Ireland, Northern Ireland: A land of rainbows 2019-12-13|
- Possibly the friendliest country anywhere, Ireland is a lush, green island in the North Atlantic. The Republic of Ireland is divided in two, with Northern Ireland being a part of the United Kingdom. This splits the ...