WINDY CITY TIMES
||Former WCT 30 Under 30 honoree appointed human-rights commissioner
This article shared 1647 times since Fri Jan 28, 2022
On Jan. 27, the Chicago City Council confirmed Daniel R. Hernandez, Esq.'s appointment as commissioner for the Chicago Commission on Human Relations (CCHR).
Windy City Times named Hernandez one of its 30 Under 30 honorees in 2018.
CCHR promotes appreciation of Chicago's diversity and works to eliminate prejudice and discrimination. The commission enforces the Chicago Human Rights Ordinance and the Chicago Fair Housing Ordinance, which prohibit discrimination within the city.
"I am honored to be appointed a commissioner on the Commission on Human Relations," said Hernandez in a statement. "As a gay, Latino [cisgender] male, I am excited to serve our great city and to collaborate with my fellow commissioners on the many matters relating to the city's civil-rights ordinances."
Hernandez currently is president of the board of directors at Between Friends, a Chicago not-for-profit committed to ending the cycle of domestic violence. He is also the founder of NextLevel Law, P.C. by Daniel R. Hernandez, Esq. Hernandez received his law degree from the University of Illinois Chicago School of Law and his undergraduate degree from Miami's Florida International University.
This article shared 1647 times since Fri Jan 28, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Bulls, Blackhawks lose; Lightfoot-Fire FC link 2022-12-01|
- The Chicago Bulls (9-12) fell to the Phoenix Suns (15-6) 132-113 in Arizona on Nov. 30, dropping the Bulls to 12th in the Eastern Conference. Phoenix now leads the Western Conference. Devin Booker scored 51 for ...
|Landmark step toward equality: Senate passes bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act 2022-11-29|
-- From press releases - WASHINGTON — The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — today celebrated the bipartisan passage of the Respect ...
|Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth submits 2000+ petition signatures to run for seat vacated by Harry Osterman 2022-11-24|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL Early this morning, Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth, candidate for 48th ward, submitted 2166 petition signatures — over four times as many as the 473 minimum required — in order to get on the ballot for ...
|Transgender Day of Resilience: Town Hall panelists tackle allyship, discrimination and immigration 2022-11-23|
- Brave Space Alliance (BSA), Life Is Work (LIW) and Chicago Therapy Collective (CTC) hosted three free events across the city that they namedTDOR Weekend: A New Era, Together to celebrate ...
|Gay candidates Lopez, Lawson file papers for 2023 aldermanic race 2022-11-21|
- Ald. Raymond Lopez (15th Ward), an openly gay City Council member who has been an ardent foe of Mayor Lightfoot, announced Nov. 21 that he was dropping his bid for Lightfoot's mayoral seat, and would instead ...
|Kris Mayes shatters lavender ceiling; first LGBTQ person elected Arizona Attorney General 2022-11-21|
-- From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund candidate Kris Mayes won the election for Arizona Attorney General. With this historic win, she is now the first out LGBTQ Attorney General in Arizona history. Mayor Annise Parker, ...
|Equality Illinois on the Club Q shooting 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - Statement from Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, the state's LGBTQ+ civil rights organization, on the Club Q shooting: On a day already marked by sadness, the LGBTQ+ community woke up to the tragic news ...
|NATIONAL Respect for Marriage Act, lesbian judge, gay official resigns 2022-11-20|
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-New York) said that debate on the Respect for Marriage Act (RFMA) is suspended and will continue on Nov. 28, when the Senate reconvenes after Thanksgiving, LGBTQ Nation reported. The RFMA ...
|WORLD Brazilian musician, top LGBTQ+ cruises, Elon Musk, anti-trans attack 2022-11-20|
- Brazilian musician Pedro Sampaio revealed that he dates men and women, Out noted. Sampaio has 7 million monthly listeners on Spotify, more than 5 million followers on Instagram and several music videos with more than 50 ...
|Reports: Senate to vote on marriage equality law Nov. 16 2022-11-15|
- The U.S. Senate will vote on a measure enshrining marriage equality into law Wednesday, according to reports. Supporters of the measure, known as the Respect for Marriage Act, which aims to protect against an eventual repeal ...
|NATIONAL Political results, communicable-disease law, Urvashi Vaid 2022-11-13|
- Sharice Davids won the election for Kansas' 3rd Congressional District. In 2018, she made history when she became the first out LGBTQ+ person elected to Congress from Kansas and one of the first two Native American women ever ...
|REPORTS: Tunney will not run to be Chicago mayor 2022-11-11|
- Outgoing Ald. Tom Tunney (44th ward) will not be among the challengers to incumbent Mayor Lori Lightfoot in the upcoming city election, according to multiple reports. Tunney's decision was first reported Nov. 10 in Chicago Tribune. ...
|Erick Russell shatters lavender ceiling; first Black LGBTQ person elected to statewide position in U.S. history 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund candidate Erick Russell won the election for Connecticut state Treasurer. With this victory, he is now the first Black out LGBTQ person ever elected to statewide office in U.S. ...
|HISTORY MADE: Oregon's Tina Kotek one of first lesbian governors in U.S history 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - SALEM — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, hailed the victory of HRC-endorsed Tina Kotek in her bid to become the governo ...
|History made: More LGBTQ+ people elected to congress than ever before 2022-11-09|
-- From an HRC press release - Washington, DC — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — hailed the victory of at least ...