||'Foot Soldiers' Reunion To Mark Civil Rights Movement's 40th Anniversary
This article shared 3897 times since Tue Apr 1, 2003
Plans are underway for a reunion of the Civil Rights Movement's 'foot soldiers,' the activists who in the 1960s perpetuated the movement from behind the scenes, never really gaining recognition for their involvement. The reunion is set for May 1-4, 2003, in Birmingham's historic Kelly Ingram Park, located in the heart of the city's Civil Rights District.
The park was a primary gathering place for many of the marches and protests that marked the movement, including those in which police used dogs and fire hoses to disperse the demonstrators. While Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Ralph Abernathy and Fred Shuttlesworth are all well-known names associated with the battle for Civil Rights, hundreds, even thousands of foot soldiers worked tirelessly to ensure the success of the struggle for equal rights.
After 40 years, foot soldiers and their stories are still missing from many books and other chronicles written about the Civil Rights Movement. Many have died and their stories along with them.
Call the Civil Rights Activist Committee (205) 214-5740 or FAX (205) 324-4550.
This article shared 3897 times since Tue Apr 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Survey: Americans hold complex views on gender identity and trans+ Issues 2022-06-29|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 28, 2022) — As the United States addresses issues of transgender rights and the broader landscape around gender identity continues to shift, the American public holds a complex set of views around these ...
|HRC on how the end of Roe v. Wade impacts the LGBTQ+ community 2022-06-28|
-- From a press release. Video below. - WASHINGTON — The Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, in light of the dangerous Supreme Court decision in Dobbs ...
|VIEWS Workers' rights are LGBTQ+ rights 2022-06-27|
- June usually marks a joyous month for the LGBTQ+ community and our allies as we reflect on the decades of hard work that our community and movement have put into securing and promoting our civil rights. ...
|Supreme Court justice says marriage-equality ruling should be reconsidered 2022-06-24|
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas argued in a concurring opinion regarding the revocation of the constitutional right to abortion that the U.S. Supreme Court "should reconsider" its past rulings codifying rights to contraception access, same-sex ...
|Abortion decision called 'full scale assault' on rights 2022-06-24|
- In a ruling that one legal activist said will put LGBT rights "on the chopping block," the U.S. Supreme Court today (June 24) ruled 6 to 3 that the U.S. Constitution "does not prohibit" states from ...
|BREAKING U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade 2022-06-24|
- On June 24, the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, ruling there is no longer a federal constitutional right to an abortion. The decision means that states will determine abortion rights, which may prompt many women to go ...
|Illinois' Kwame Raoul joins VP Harris, other attorneys general to discuss reproductive rights 2022-06-24|
-- From a press release - Washington — Attorney General Kwame Raoul joined Vice President Kamala Harris as well as Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford, Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul and California Chief Deputy Attorney General Venus Johnson for a roundtable discussion ...
|Human Rights Campaign celebrates 50-year Anniversary of Title IX 2022-06-23|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) issued a press release recognizing the 50-year anniversary of Title IX. HRC Interim President Joni Madison said in a statement: "Title IX has had a transformative impact on our ...
|HRC report: Wage for LGBTQ+ women is 79 cents to the average man's dollar 2022-06-22|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released new data outlining ...
|LGBTQ+ rights and immigration activist Edafe Okporo to be honored with American Heritage Award 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, June 13, 2022—The American Immigration Council will honor global LGBTQ+ rights activist and founder of Refuge America, Edafe Okporo, with its American Heritage Award on Friday, June 17 at the Javits Center in New York. ...
|HRC, Showtime launch third year of QUEER TO STAY, an LGBTQ+ small business initiative 2022-06-03|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, and SHOWTIME announced the third consecutive year of "QUEER ...
|Scores of LGBTQI+ groups call on policymakers to protect abortion rights 2022-06-02|
-- From a NCLR press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today, the National Center for Lesbian Rights released an open letter signed by 91 organizations representing the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex (LGBTQI+) community voicing ...
|Illinois attorney general issues guidance on reproductive rights in the state 2022-06-02|
-- From a press release - Chicago — Attorney General Kwame Raoul released new guidance to ensure that the public and members of law enforcement understand Illinois' legal protections for abortions. Attorney General Raoul's office released ...
|Lambda Legal holds Bon Foster celebration in person 2022-05-29|
- More than 500 people attended Lambda Legal's 2022 Bon Foster Civil Rights Celebration on May 12. The event took place at The Old Post Office, 433 W. Van Buren St. The Bon Foster Civil Rights Celebration ...
|Lambda Legal discusses court decisions granting same-sex couples fair access to Social Security benefits 2022-05-27|
- Lambda Legal—a national organization committed to actualizing the rights of LGBTQ+ people through impact litigation, public policy work and education—hosted an event at Sidetrack May 26 discussing its work securing ...