||Five Worth Finding: Yoshi's Cafe, the movie White Frog
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
This article shared 2356 times since Tue May 28, 2013
Yoshi's Cafe ( yoshiscafe.com ): The Lakeview restaurant has been around for more than three decadesand it's easy to understand why. The surroundings are comfortable, the waitstaff is extremely knowledgeable and the food is delicious, from the Wagyu burger to vegan options.
Newlyweds: The First Year ( www.bravotv.com/newlyweds-the-first-year&: The Bravo show looks at four couples in the first year (or so-called "honeymoon period") of their marriage. However, as this series shows, life is not necessarily a picnic. The show has gay couple Blair and Jeff, but Tarz and Tina also bear watching.
LUXBAR ( www.luxbar.com ): Relatively new chef Michael McDonald (no Doobie Brothers jokes, please) keeps things moving along smoothly at this Gold Coast restaurant with items such as sesame-crusted tuna salad and an amazing duck-breast dish. And, yes, the buttermilk fried chicken and Snickers pie are still there.
White Frog: In this Wolfe Video release, Booboo Stewart (best actor name ever, next to Texas Battle), Glee's Harry Shum Jr., Joan Chen, out actor BD Wong, Gregg Sulkin, Kelly Hu and Tyler Posey star in this movie. Nick (Stewart) is a student struggling with Asperger's Syndrome who life and family are changed forever when his older brother Chaz (Shum) dies in a tragic accident. As for the title, it's explained at the end of the film. The movie will be out digitally June 4 and on DVD July 16.
Belize's Lower Dover Field Station ( www.LowerDoverBelize.com ): The station, located in the beautiful (but conservative) Central American country Belize, is described as a "100-acre jungle paradise" in which visitors can "swim in natural freshwater pools." People can also fish, mountain-bike, hike and do all other sorts of outdoors-y stuff. Also, rates are as low as $15/day for the bunkhouse.
By Andrew Davis
This article shared 2356 times since Tue May 28, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Windy City Times holiday shopping guide 2022-12-03|
- If you're looking for ideas for holiday gifts, check out what we have to offer: A supreme idea: You may not know this but one of the coolest new stores in Chicago is the Wicker Park spot Supreme, at 1438 N. ...
|Five Worth Finding: COVID book, 'Wicked' cocktails, 'A Taste of Hope' and more 2022-10-24|
- —COVID-19, the LGBTQIA+ Community and Public Policy: As studies emerge to help us understand the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on every facet of modern life, it is critical that the effect of the pandemic on ...
|Five Worth Finding: Movie short, 'Kaepernick,' ice cream and more 2022-08-14|
- —Fraud: Non-binary director Zen Zadih Pace's debut narrative short, Fraud—starring trans actress Dana Aliya Levinson (STARZ's American Gods) and Babak Tafti (Showtime's Super Pumped)—was selected for ...
|Five Worth Finding: WNDR Museum, Prince, queer books, flowers 2022-06-16|
- WNDR Museum's Pride event "Crafting with Queens": The West Loop museum is usually entertainment and, um, wondrous enough on its ownbut during Pride Month, WNDR is queering things up with "Crafting with Queens" on Tuesday, ...
|Five Worth Finding: Chocolate festival, lesbian sci-fi film, 'Smahtguy' 2022-05-16|
- —The Long Grove Chocolate Festival: The beloved Chocolate Festival will return to the historic streets and parkways of downtown Long Grove for the first time in three years, May 20-22. Chocolate lovers can experience so much—including ...
|Five Worth Finding: Horror film, fantasy series, 'Women in Wine' 2022-03-07|
- The Last Thing Mary Saw: Offered exclusively on Shudder, The Last Thing Mary Saw (directed by Edoardo Vitaletti) is an engaging treat. In 19th-century New York, Young Mary, blood trickling from behind the blindfold tied around ...
|Five Worth Finding: Mango Pickle, play about gay movie stars and more 2022-01-24|
- Mango Pickle: I've written about this Edgewater restaurant beforeand, fortunately, the unique quality of the Indian menu items remains. I was fortunate enough to recently experience the 21 Days of ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gift ideas 2021-12-15|
- With the holidays almost upon us, here are a few items to consider: Samsung items: Some people may just think phones and computers when they think of Samsung, but the company offers so much more. For ...
|Five Worth Finding: World AIDS Day, 'Benedetta,' books, wine in a can 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day event at Belmont Harbor: The Chicago Parks Foundation will hold a World AIDS Day event on Dec. 1, 9-10:30 a.m., at the Belmont Harbor Yacht Club. Antonio King, LGBTQ health and outreach liaison ...
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Five Worth Finding: 'Swan Song,' mental-health event, Halloween items, artwork 2021-09-04|
- Technically, there are six items here, but they're all highly recommended. Swan Song: Throughout his long and storied career, German actor Udo Kier has taken on many roles but probably none as indelible as former hairdresser Pat ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Five Worth Finding: Rainbow Soap, Billy Porter, Honey West and more 2021-06-12|
- Soap Distillery's Rainbow Soap (SoapDistillery.com): To help celebrate Pride Month, many businesses are offering rainbow versions of their products and Chicago's Soap Distillery is no exception. A portion of proceeds ...
|Five Worth Finding: Skydeck, a great Italian dinner and more 2021-05-03|
- Skydeck Chicago at Willis Tower (TheSkydeck.com): The famed Skydeck Chicago, 103 stories up at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has reopened complete with the ledges (that separate people from the city ...